M500 960gb purchased on ebay, need thoughts on SMART status

Kilobyte Kid

M500 960gb purchased on ebay, need thoughts on SMART status

i purchased an M500 960gb ssd on ebay and would like some thoughts on the following SMART status. i'm not sure if i should trust this drive even though crystal disk info reports the health status 100% good.

m500cdi.jpg

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: M500 960gb purchased on ebay, need thoughts on SMART status

Please update the firmware and post the SMART Attributes again.  I believe later updates fixed the reporting of some of the SMART Attributes.  Also you are missing the last few attributes in your screenshot.

JEDEC Jedi

I think the extra SMART attributes were added by the latter firmware updates so as it stands, that is a complete report atm.

01/05/C4 are of concern.  But if the drive isn't causing you any trouble and those numbers aren't increasing through use then they may just be failed NAND that the drive is working around.

The 100% health is based purely on the NAND wear level (attribue CA which is based on attribute AD) and is an indicator of drive usage - not it's actual condition.  In that regard it's not actually been used much in relation to the hours its been powered up.  Was a secondary drive for someone I guess?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

i updated the firmware from mu02 to mu05. had to clone a windows install to this drive in order to update the firmware. storage executive won't allow updating this drive over usb to sata.

i've beed doing quite a bit of testing on the drive. i used h2testw to fill the drive with test data and then verify that data. so far so good with the drive formatted to exFAT. i tried with NTFS and had some issues. maybe because the drive is connected via a usb to sata bridge during testing and h2testw was really designed for usb flash drives and memory cards.

here's SMART info on MU02:

m500cdimu02.jpg

here's SMART info on MU05:

m500cdimu05v2.jpg

JEDEC Jedi

I think the drive is Ok.  I would do a Secure Erase on the drive to reset it to defaults and restore performance especially after your tests.   Anytime you acquire storage from someone it is a good idea to Secure Erase it.  To Secure Erase it, the drive will need to be installed to an internal SATA controller configured with AHCI mode (or with  eSATA).  You can use Parted Magic to do this.  You may need to temporarily configure your BIOS/UEFI settings to Legacy MBR mode to boot it.  Make sure to switch the setting back before booting or installing an OS.

Kilobyte Kid

i had already used minitool partition wizard to overwrite the drive with zeros with the drive connected by a usb to sata adapter.  would that have accomplished the same thing?

JEDEC Jedi

That's not an ideal thing to do to an SSD.  A hard drive has two actions: read, write.  An SSD has three: read, write, erase.

Zero filling is not the same as erase.  It's much slower to write than erase - you can erase the whole drive in a few seconds.  And it will cause up to twice the wear as an erase (since it'd have to erase prior to writing the zero and after before you could write anything else (since 1 is the erased state for NAND - not 0))

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?