M500 SSD hanging or freezing, MacBook pro

Kilobyte Kid

M500 SSD hanging or freezing, MacBook pro

Hi, increasingly frequently my M500 240GB SSD is hanging or "beach-balling". Been getting worse over time. I have done some research and have done the following:

• Started the Mac holding down Option and left it on the boot screen for several hours. This is supposed to allow the drive to perform garbage collection?
  • Disabled "put hard disks to sleep when inactive" in Energy Saver preferences.
  • Enabled TRIM in the Terminal.
  • Updated the OS to High Sierra.

I will now monitor the situation to see if anything improves. Is there anything else I should do? Should I update the firmware? It's currently on MU03.

I was sold this drive as "guaranteed compatible" with my Mac, so this slow down has been most unwelcome.

Thanks.

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: M500 SSD hanging or freezing, MacBook pro

What is the exact model of your laptop?  You can find this information by clicking on the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac". 

Which filesystem is used on the SSD (HFS+ or APFS)?

Is FileVault enabled?

Run DriveDX and post a screenshot of all the "Health Indicators".

Run EtreCheck and post the output here.  It is also available in the app store.  This is a popular free tool recommended on the Apple forums to check for possible software issues.  I'm not an expert on the software side of things, but I might see something useful in the report.

Do you have access to a USB SATA Adapter or USB or FireWire drive dock or enclosure?

Updating the firmware may help as it does include a lot of fixes that may be relevant for you, but you may want to hold off until we examine the above information since some laptops have a higher chance of having a defective drive cable.   Firmware update mu05 addresses the following issues:

From the website:

Improved stability, Efficiency, and Performance during power state transitions Improved handling of environments with unstable power supplies Improved handling of environments with SATA interface signal integrity issues Improved response time for SMART read commands Corrected error handling NCQ Trim Commands Corrected reporting of SMART Attribute 5

From the Manual Update Instructions:

• Improved drive latency performance in applications with SMART polling
• Improved compatibility with 3rd party encryption management software
• Corrected reporting of SMART attribute 196 and 183
• Increased thermal throttling response on 960GB Capacity for greater reliability Revision History Rev. A………………………………………………………… 25 March 2014
• Initial release y Rev. • Corrected upgrade issues experienced on MU03 by some customers
• Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the great reply. Although my drive had lost a lot of performance, I think after allowing it to run garbage collection it has restored it, as it now seems really good, with full speeds. Can I ask you some direct questions?

• Should I enable TRIM via the Terminal, or is it not needed?
  • Should I disable "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"? For both Power Adapter and Battery, or perhaps just Power Adapter?

My MacBook is Mid 2010 15". Thank you!

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

• Should I enable TRIM via the Terminal, or is it not needed?

That is entirely up to you.  A lot of people enable TRIM on non-Apple SSDs and don't appear to have any issues.  Our organization has never force enabled TRIM on any of our Crucial SSDs running OSX, but most of our users do not push their systems.   I use Debian Linux where TRIM is disabled by default and I don't have any issues with TRIM disabled.  Here is a Crucial post discussing TRIM and Garbage Collection.  

• Should I disable "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"? For both Power Adapter and Battery, or perhaps just Power Adapter?

If you are not having any problems then it doesn't really matter.  Our organization's default setup is to put drives to sleep and I'm not aware of any issues with our Crucial SSDs.   If you do not enable TRIM, then disabling "Put hard disks to sleep" may allow the SSD's garbage collection more time to work for you.  If you are experiencing issues, then I would disable it since the sleep feature really isn't necessary for SSDs.