MX200 250G device not recognized

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

MX200 250G device not recognized

Hi, my MX200 250G drive was lying unused for a half a year or so after upgrading to 500G Crucial SSD. Today I decided to use 250G disk as second drive. However the disk is not recognized by the system anymore! Tried several computers and several USB converters, however device it is no longer recognized by partition managers nor by dmesg. The disk was bought 2years and 2months so my warranty is gone. Note that drive was moderately used and had zero errors when monitoring with smartmon tools.

Is there a way how to unbrick the device, any recommended tools or fw upgrades which could help me with the issue?

Thanks for any help in advance.

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX200 250G device not recognized

The MX200 has a 3 year warranty.

You could try this to recover it: https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I already tried to power it up for several minutes, repowered and connect again. I see no mention about the drive in the dmesg. I also tested USB enclosure with different crucial M4 (even older and still works btw). 

I also check the purchase date and it was on 21. jan 2016, so my warranty is 6weeks over. 

Any more suggestions please?

JEDEC Jedi

I would try just connecting the drive to power for a while without the data cable.   There was another procedure which suggested leaving the SSD powered on without data for an hour, then unplugging it for a minute, then repeat.   If this doesn't work, I would just leave it plugged in for an extended time to see if maybe it comes back to life on its own.    Besides the power cycle trick, or an extended powered on state or another extended power off state, I'm not sure there is anything else to do.

I've had a couple SSDs miraculously come back to life after sitting on the shelf for a year or two.  I know data can be lost when an SSD doesn't have power for an extended time, but didn't realize it could make an SSD stop communicating.

If you do bring it back to life, I highly suggest you perform a Secure Erase on it to reset it because you won't know for sure what kind of state it is in.  Please let us know if you are able to bring the drive back to life.

Kilobyte Kid

You wan to tell me I paid 100e for piece of random engineering?

JEDEC Jedi

I want to tell you that this is a peer to peer forum and we are users like yourself, sharing tips and tricks that have had helped some people and can help in your case. If you would like to get in touch with Crucial Customer Service you can do that via the link in my signature. Please try that anyway - there is a chance they will help you that way or another.

I would suggest connecting the drive with SATA power cable rather than via USB enclosure. In my opinion, many USB ports do not provide sufficient power that could possibly be required by SSD drive.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks Bogdan for your effort to help to solve my problem.
I've tried everything that this forum and crucial support, where they suggest power cycle and firmware update.

However power cycle did not help at all.

Updating firmware was also unsucessfull, and Crucial tool reported that "No drive was detected"

Also when I put the failure SSD in to the laptop and power on, it will stuck on the POST and after about 30s I get message:

"2102: Detection error on HDD1 (Ultrabay HDD)"  

The same error I got if I put drive to the primary sata slot.

I have some 10+ crucial ssds spread across our company and I'm also recommanding crucial ssd to everyone, but now my confidence is shaken, and I'm "bit" concern.

JEDEC Jedi

I have some 10+ crucial ssds spread across our company and I'm also recommanding crucial ssd to everyone, but now my confidence is shaken, and I'm "bit" concern.

I would not be concerned.   I've seen every major brand of SSD die a quick and unexpected death with no warning signs of a pending failure.  I've had a few which came back to life after sitting unpowered two or three years.  Yours is the first one that I've heard about which failed after being without power for an extended time.  Since an SSD can come back to life after being unpowered for an extended time, it doesn't really surprise me the opposite is also true.  The firmware for all SSDs still need some work to address the unexpected states these SSDs can encounter.  IMHO an SSD should always be able to communicate with the host and provide an error code/message no matter what even if it cannot access the data.

The first SSDs our organization used were not Crucial SSDs and the failure rate I saw with those were 75%.  Half would just stop communicating and the other half would have unknown intermittent issues.  The technology was still so new at the time there was no good information about SSD behavior and those non-Crucial SSDs didn't even have SMART data to access until a much later firmware.   I was finally able to convince my boss to allow me to use Crucial SSDs and all our problems disappeared.  Some of the issues we encountered may have been from OS issues because the surviving drives magically stopped failing without having their firmware updated.  At the time TRIM was not an option.  That experience really made me doubt the reliability of SSDs in general, but I'm all for them now as long as good verified working backups are used.