MX200 and AHCI/IDE

Kilobyte Kid

MX200 and AHCI/IDE

I've read a lot of messages about AHCI or EDI and I'm really none the wiser, basically because whenever I activate AHCI in BIOS my PC boots OK and then slowly "everything" starts to freeze and stop working properly. If I wait too long, I can spend upto 20 minutes waiting for Windows to "log off".

I'm running Windows 7 X64 Home Premium, booting off 250Gb MX200 (with the latest firmware) plus three other IDE SATA drives.

The MX200 was cloned from an IDE SATA drive (now disconnected and waiting emergency recall!). I changed the "msahci" flag in Registry, then rebooted, set AHCI in the BIOS, and booted to get the AHCI drivers installed, all before installing the SSD.

Installing and cloning went well and I was really please, but then the freezing started! Eventually, I had to physically power the PC down, went into BIOS and reset to IDE mode. There were then a few minutes of panic whilst I tried to get Windows to boot, eventually OK.

SO, I'm now running in IDE mode and everything is fine. But every thing says I should be using AHCI mode.

To try and discover which mode is best, I've run AS SSD tests under IDE and AHCI (rebooting hurriedly before the freeze set in). Does anybody understand what the figures mean? (Their web site is in German and even translated means little to me) My instinct is that IDE figures look better, apart from the "Score" where AHCI is very much higher; after that all IDE figures are better except for Access/Write.

Any suggestions.

Baffled.

15 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX200 and AHCI/IDE

AHCI effectively allows the drive to kind of 'multi-task'.  So you'll see much better performance on queued tests (where the drive is being asked to do multi read/writes at once).  It's less important than such scores suggest because a home PC will never being doing that much concurrent storage work.

Nonetheless, there typically isn't any scenario where IDE is better than AHCI.  AHCI should typically be at least as good and typically better across the board.  So AHCI is always recommended.

If on your system however, IDE is faster and AHCI doesn't work, it's a bit of a no brainer to use IDE I guess! Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

WeDontByte, we don't see any figures, you didn't post them Smiley Happy

As far as I understand your original system configuration was set to IDE and then you have enabled AHCI before cloning. Most likely generic msahci driver, that is a part of Windows 7, is in use. You could try to install newer AHCI driver, what is your motherboard model?

Edit: If it is FOXCONN H55M-S that you listed in your former posts then I would probably try to enable AHCI and install 11.7.0.1013 driver (or 12.8.0.1016 maybe).

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I downloaded the first set of Intel drivers and, once I'd realised I had to activate AHCI again in BIOS, I was able to update the AHCI drivers.

This was followed by one boot to activate the AHCI drivers. Windows then installed drivers for the three EDI drives (which had never happened previously) followed by a second boot to activate them.

My PC (you identified it correctly) has now been running under AHCI for two half-days now without any obvious problem. Most of the AS SSD figures have dropped dramatically. Is it worth testing the other set of drivers you mentioned? Can always roll back if the worst happened.

So, very many thanks for all your help.

One thing I've noticied about my PC, whilst diving through Device Manager, I've got a yellow exclamation mark against an entry called "Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver". The error message shown is "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". This appears to be a graphics and audio add-on for i5, i7 and higher processors, so as my processor is an i3 perhaps that's the problem. Should I uninstall this device manager entry?

Thanks again.

JEDEC Jedi

By EDI drives you mean IDE HDDs? How are they connected to the motherboard?

If you are using IDE drives maybe indeed it would be better to keep the IDE mode in BIOS? I am not sure, as far as I remember I haven't mixed SATA drives (with AHCI drivers) with IDE drives in any system...

Can you post AS SSD results? It can be easily done with 'Edit > Copy' option.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Sorry. Definitely meant IDE HDDs! All drives are plugged into SATA ports (block of six) on the motherboard. The MX200 is on Port 1 (first), followed by the other three IDE HDDs on Ports 2 to 4, plus the CD-R/W on Port 6.

This is the results obtained by AS SSD and I've typed alongside them the figures I got for "pure" IDE. I took screen snapshots but I can't paste the images in.

AS SSD Benchmark 1.8.5636.37293
------------------------------
Name: ATA Crucial_CT250MX2 SCSI Disk Device
Firmware: MU02
Controller: iaStorA                                                                   Controller: intelide - OK
Offset: 1024 K - OK
Size: 232.88 GB
Date: 30/07/2015 13:30:27
Sequential:
Read: 264.27 MB/s                                                                  193.59 MB/s
Write: 241.30 MB/s                                                                  210.29 MB/s
4K:
Read: 19.84 MB/s                                                                      19.56 MB/s
Write: 63.62 MB/s                                                                      51.90 Mb/s
4K-64Threads:                      
Read: 209.79 MB/s                                                                    28.98 MB/s
Write: 159.16 MB/s                                                                    85.98 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.123 ms                                                                         0.134 ms
Write: 0.067 ms                                                                        0.080 ms
Score:
Read: 256                                                                                  68
Write: 247                                                                                159
Total: 640                                                                                271

Hope the above is helpful.

David

Kilobyte Kid

Strange! I've replied once but its vanished. Try again and remember what I said the first time.

Sorry. Obviously a "typo". I definitely meant IDE HDDs.

There is a cluster of six SATA ports connected to the motherboard. Port 1 is the MX200; Ports 2 to 4 are the IDE HDDs and Port 6 is a CD R/Writer.

The AS SSD current results. I've annotated them with results when the SATA were configured as IDE (took a screen snapshot but eem unable to paste an image copy here.

AS SSD Benchmark 1.8.5636.37293
Name: ATA Crucial_CT250MX2 SCSI Disk Device
Firmware: MU02
Controller: iaStorA                                                      intelide - OK
Offset: 1024 K - OK
Size: 232.88 GB
Date: 30/07/2015 16:37:13
Sequential:
Read: 264.74 MB/s                                                     193.59 MB/s
Write: 252.24 MB/s                                                     210.29 MB/s
4K:
Read: 19.25 MB/s                                                          19.56 MB/s
Write: 59.68 MB/s                                                         51.90 MB/s
4K-64Threads:
Read: 210.88 MB/s                                                       28.98 MB/s
Write: 159.56 MB/s                                                       85.98 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.124 ms                                                            0.134 ms
Write: 0.073 ms                                                           0.080 ms
Score:
Read: 257                                                                      68
Write: 244                                                                    159
Total: 638                                                                     271

Hope the above is helpful and many thanks.

David

JEDEC Jedi

@WeDontByte wrote:

Most of the AS SSD figures have dropped dramatically. 

Oh, you mean they have risen in AHCI mode, I presume Smiley Wink

What I do not understand is how your IDE hard drives are connected to SATA ports, but since all works well now it is not so important I guess. Most likely I am missing something here :-) I would probably keep that driver version if it works stable.

As for the 'Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver' thing maybe some other driver is missing there. Intel Chipset Driver perhaps?

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I'm getting confused! All these mnemonics! AHCI, IDE, SSD, HDD, SATA, etc. I did, of course, mean that the SATA 6 Port connector attached to the motherboard has the MX200 SSD, 3 * HDDs and CD R/W (all SATA devices) connected to it.

I've tried the other set of drivers you suggested with a fractional decrease in values. All I can say is that whilst updating the drivers on this occassion, the PC rebooted three times in the time it previously took to boot once (before MX200 SSD). So I'm happy - might try reverting to IDE in the BIOS (correct mnemonic? I'm beginning to doubt myself) in the near future just to check that the AS SSD readings are as they were that first time.

I'm off to the Intel Forum - don't like yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Kilobyte Kid

You use IDE to SATA converters to get your IDE drives attached to the SATA interface. I used to use one for an old DVD RW drive, it works well. The only down side is that the converter needs to use an old floppy disk drive power connector from the PSU which may not be available on more modern PSUs.

Once your IDE drives are connected to the SATA interface and you enable AHCI they will run via AHCI (though you won't see any advantage) because your SATA interface will only be able to be in one mode or the other and all devices attached will use the same system. You will only get the advantage in your native SATA devices.