MX300 525 will not negotiate 3Gb/s on eSATA port.

Kilobyte Kid

MX300 525 will not negotiate 3Gb/s on eSATA port.

I recently replaced an MX200 with an MX300, and have it connected via a flextor e-sata cable (as was the mx200)

The mx300 will only negotiate 1.5Gb/s, where the mx200 would (and still does) get 3Gb/s on the same cable.

Is this a firmware issue with the JMB363 controller?

6 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: MX300 525 will not negotiate 3Gb/s on eSATA port.

Hi squall_leanhart,

Thank you for your message.  

First of all, I'm sorry that your new SSD is not running at the same speed as your old drive.  I will certainly get this resolved for you.

Have you tried the new MX300 with a different SATA cable or in a different SATA port in the system?  This is the best way to check and see if it is the port or the cable that is limiting the speed.

It would also be great if you could confirm what program you are using to get these readings.  It is possible that the benchmarking software is not showing the correct drive information.   Have you ran our own SSD software on your new MX300?

We have a program available called Storage Executive that is designed to work with our own SSD's.  You can download and use the software from our website here: http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/support-storage-executive

Once you come back with your answers we can take it from there and get this resolved for you.  Also as a side note, awesome username.  Always good to see a Final Fantasy fan!

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

I have no other cable to try and all internal ports are full, the jmicron esata port im using works for the mx200 if i plug it back in and re-enable the jmicron controller in device manager.

Storage Executive and SSD-Z both show 1.5GB/s link on the flextronics cable, the only thing that has changed is the SSD, and returning to the mx200 i get 3Gb/s again. in both the stated apps.

MX300 at 1.5Gb drive benches topping out at 139MB/s where as the 3Gb link would hit 180-200 on the mx200

JEDEC Jedi

Jmicron sata ports are terrible.  Move your optical drive or slowest hard drive to it and let a high speed SSD have a decent port. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

did you miss the part where i said esata?

JEDEC Jedi

Nope, saw it. You said quite clearly here 'jmicron esata port'.  I assumed you were using it for lack of internal ports?  If you actually need it external then I think you may have a problem here.

Because you don't want to use a jmicron sata port if drive performance is what you want out of life. Smiley Happy  Search this forum, any drive/motherboard forum, google for how poor they are. Smiley Sad

Most non-chipset ports are slower but the jmicron ones take that to another level.  An SSD wants to be on chipset (Intel or AMD) based sata ports or their performance is going to be hampered.  You saw this yourself (though you may nto have relaised it) on the MX200.  It should top out at 260MB/sec on a proper sata 2 port - not 180-200.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

kindly stop posting.

The issue as identified in the op is with the mx525 and not my choices in connecting it.