MX300 525GB connector broke

Kilobyte Kid

MX300 525GB connector broke

Wanted to put my 3 years old SSD in another computer and when I disconnected the sata cable, the port simply broke off.

It's the MX300 525GB. Is this going to be accepted under warranty? I didn't put force or anything, I know these connectors are fragiles but it just broke with no stress on it.

The drive still works and I got my data transfered (Thankfully).

Also if anyones has the material number, it would help.

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX300 525GB connector broke

I doubt it, but you're best off contacting Crucial customer services via the link in my signature and asking.  We're largely just other end users here on the forum and wouldn't be able to give you a definative answer on that.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

The material number is 329138

Want to be a Super User?
Crucial Employee

Our warranty explicitly covers manufacture defects, if the drive is physically damaged after shipment, then that would technically be an environment issue, not a manufacture defect.

I've taken a dead SSD we had laying around and tried to break the SATA connections myself on the drive, and it takes an exceedingly high amount of pressure in the wrong direction to so, I didn't have a scale, but I would guess around 5-10lbs; that's a lot of weight! Someone would really need to be pulling on a SATA power or data cable in an improper fashion to shear a connection. 

The connections across drive types haven't changed, SATA is an industry standard, thus the interfaces you find our drives are pretty much the same you would find on other brands of drives.

If you're going to request a warranty replacement on a drive with damage of this type, I suggest you email our support at crucial.support@micron.com directly. We'll require pictures of the damage and a copy of the invoice if an exception is going to be considered. If you submit an online request we'll be required to email you back  and gather this information anyways, so emailing us directly simpley saves a steps in the process.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Want to be a Super User?