MX300 Performance issues - Error Code -36 (Mac OS Mojave)

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Re: MX300 Performance issues - Error Code -36 (Mac OS Mojave)

Hi, I just wanted to give an update on this case. I have followed the procedure outlined above, updated firmware, secure erased, reinstalled OS and copied music library back. I've just run another scan and it shows the following errors. Should I be thinking about returning this to Crucial now?Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 6.22.49 pm.png

Crucial Employee

@f-98 you said you have your music on this drive, but what exactly is it being used for? An how is the drive connected to the Mini, is it internal, some sort of external enclosure?

Some of the data from your SMART is strange. Your drive only has around 400 hours of use, but you've cycled power to the drive over 1,700 times, that's once every 15 minutes. This might be a result of sleep, so I would disable it, and it could contribute to errors.

- Go to System Preferences
- Go to Energy Saver
- Make sure  'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' is unchecked.

You also have a really large amount of data erased from the drive (12TBs in wear life), which in reality means you probably erased around 30-100TBs from this SSD in only 400 hours of use. That's pretty high, and it's possible the controller is backed up with erase requests, which is compounding other issues. If you're using apple file encryption this could be partly to blame as well.

Did you try making a clone of the disk as HWtech suggested? A time machine backup would actually be preferred, then simply erase the SSD as he's suggested ( if you have access to a Windows machine a sanitize with our Storage Executive software would be ideal), then do a restore the SSD and keep an eye on your values. If new reallocated sectors and UECC events immediately pop up I would say the drive needs to be swapped out.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@Crucial_Benny wrote:

@f-98 you said you have your music on this drive, but what exactly is it being used for? An how is the drive connected to the Mini, is it internal, some sort of external enclosure?

Some of the data from your SMART strange. Your drive only has around 400 hours of use, but you've cycled power to the drive over 1,700 times, that's once every 15 minutes. This might be a result of sleep, so I would disable it, and it could contribute to errors.

- Go to System Preferences
- Go to Energy Saver
- Make sure  'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' is unchecked.

Yes, this an Apple issue for at least the last 3 major versions of OSX.  Power Nap might have some part to play.

Kilobyte Kid

Yes, there is music held on the drive. I say "music" because everything apart from music is held on the cloud. It is the main booting drive for my Mac MIni. It is connected internally, and stores the OS. The drive also has my photo library and some other odds and ends.

Regarding this 12TBs in wear life, are you saying that the power settings could be causing this?

I didn't clone the drive per se, I used Carbon Copy Clone to just copy the music library (and some other things). Then I followed the process outlined above.

Can you please advise, based on the seemingly increased amount of errors between postings whether I will continue to experience problems? I will just send the drive back rather than wait for further data corruption.

JEDEC Jedi

Did you perform the Secure Erase after the firmware update?  I think it is best if the Secure Erase is performed after the firmware update so it can get past (unstick itself) from whatever was wrong in the old firmware.

If you have received more Reallocated Blocks/Events (Attributes 5 & 196) since the update & Secure Erase then it appears the Uncorrectable Errors (187) are from errors accumulating faster than the block is reallocated.  If this is the case and if it were my SSD, then I would probably fill the whole drive several times to see if you can force out any more questionable blocks.  If the errors & bad blocks stop accumulating, I would perform another Secure Erase and then reinstall, otherwise I would probably consider an RMA.  While this will wear the drive a bit, it is worth it if you can get past those really faulty blocks, otherwise it will be RMA'd anyway.

If only the Uncorrectable Errors (187) have increased since the update & Secure Erase without any increase in Reallocated Blocks/Events (5/196), then I would RMA the drive.

If the drive hasn't had any new Uncorrectable Errors since the update & Secure Erase, then you may be fine.

As for the high number of writes @Crucial_Benny mentions, I believe he thinks FileVault could be contributing if it is enabled.  More likely you have something writing excessively to your drive that you are not aware.  I remember a post on these forums where Spotify at one time did this very thing due to a bug.  You may want to monitor drive activity to see what might be writing large amounts to the drive.

The drive's power settings and/or Power Nap settings are likely affecting Attribute 12 Power Cycle Count being so high for a drive with only 418 hours of use on it (attribute 9).