MX300 Security lock state

Kilobyte Kid

Re: MX300 Security lock state

Up! Smiley Very Happy

Kilobyte Kid

Good Morning.
I have a  SSD disk which was working perfectly; however I choosed to change my previous laptop for a new one and I can not use due a message " Disk is secure locked".  I was triying to use the same PW as Bios Hard drive password security; but it didnt work(Im totally sure  I am using the same password) . So I decided to  clean all my disk(Do not care about data) and try to make it work again. But I can not use the PSID Revert or Sanitize Drive. How can I fix my disk.

JEDEC Jedi

@diego1215,

The locked SSD needs to be connected to an internal controller and you must boot from another drive in order to Sanitize or perform a PSID revert.   You may be able to boot using  Parted Magic to perform these actions on the locked SSD.

There are a lot of different ways to lock the SSD.  If you used just a simple BIOS hard drive password, then it may be failing due to the different implementations employed by the various BIOS to store the password which is one reason why this type of security has been replaced.  If you need access to any data,  put the locked SSD back in the original system and remove the BIOS hard drive password, it should leave the SSD accessible (be careful if you installed another drive and enabled any other security as it might cause you to lose access to data on the other drive).   It might be possible to unlock it if you connect it to USB and use tools to access ATA Security to unlock or disable it.

Kilobyte Kid

How did you fix this? My drive CT128MX100SSD1 is also in security lock state after erase sanitize shutdown (no SAI), but with STATUS_CODE: 18 after PSID msecli.exe. Other actions linux comand hdparm or pqmagic_2013 not working. Data already backup, no recovery need.

CT128MX100SSD1.jpg

Thanks in advanced for solution. Sorry my bad english

Highlighted
Crucial Employee

@korkari

I can't see the image you attached.

How is the drive connected to the system? I assume you're using an internal SATA connection?

You could try booting Windows in safe mode t to ensure there isn't some 3rd party software or driver you have that's accessing the drive, then try sanitizing the SSD again.

You can also try a diskpart clean on the drive which is a low level way to reset the SSD. If you can run the clean command you should be able to simply go into disk managment to initialize and format the SSD.

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Reset-Your-SSD-With-Windows-DiskPart/ta-p/176654

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Crucial_Benny,

My drive CT128MX100SSD1 is also in security lock state after erase sanitize shutdown, but with STATUS_CODE: 18 after PSID msecli.exe. Other actions linux comand hdparm or pqmagic_2013 not working. Diskpart not working. SSD connect a SATA AHCI. Erase sanitize not working

Drive Status: Attention! Drive is in security locked state.

Thanks in advanced, sorry my bad english

CT128MX100-Diskpart.jpgCT128MX100-DiskManagement.jpgCT128MX100-DiskManagement-Error.jpgCT128MX100-Msecli-PSID.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I have an MX200 500GB in the exact same state.

The original PC is no longer available.

Do Crucial have any way to reset this lock?

E

JEDEC Jedi

@eoink wrote:

Hi,

I have an MX200 500GB in the exact same state.

The original PC is no longer available.

Do Crucial have any way to reset this lock?

E

@eoink  There are two types of hardware security for SEDs:

1)  ATA Security (aka BIOS HD Password)

2)  OPAL Security

If your drive is using a BIOS HD password (ATA Security), then you need to use the BIOS to remove it so the drive is unlocked.   You could try installing it into another PC and see if you can unlock it with the BIOS HD password, but this may not work with some systems if the BIOS modifies the password before storing it on the drive. You need to be careful because if you change any BIOS/UEFI settings it could make the system unbootable.

Your next option for a BIOS locked drive would be to create a Knoppix Linux USB boot disk so you can try unlocking/disabling ATA Security directly.  As long as the original computer did not modify the password before storing it this should work.  During system POST press the key to bring up the system boot menu and select Knoppix.  Once booted to Knoppix attach the MX200 using a USB Adapter/Dock/Enclosure.  Open GSmartControl located on Start Menu --> System Tools.  Click on the MX200 and select "View Details" from the Device menu.  Near the bottom of the General tab you will see the ATA Security status.  If it shows "Disabled" then it is not locked with a BIOS HD password/ATA Security and you will need to perform a PSID revert.  If it shows "Enabled" then  you need to find the Linux device identifier for your MX200 located above the tabs which should look something like "/dev/sda", or "/dev/sdb", etc.  Once you have this identifier open a command line terminal (black icon on the Taskbar) and enter the following command to unlock or disable the security feature.  Replace the "X" in "/dev/sdX" with the proper letter for the Linux identifier found previosly in GSmartControl.  

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-unlock  --security-prompt-for-password   /dev/sdX

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-disable  --security-prompt-for-password   /dev/sdX

(For example:  If the system has a single internal drive and you attached the MX200 after Knoppix boots, then most likely you will replace the "/dev/sdX" with "/dev/sdc" for the Linux drive identifier in the previous commands.)

If ATA Security is enabled and these methods do not allow you to unlock/disable it, then you will need to find another computer identical to your original one to install the drive so you can remove the password & security from the SSD.

If your drive is using OPAL Secuirty, then you need to do a PSID revert on the SSD.  You can used Parted Magic or install the SSD into another Windows PC and use Crucial Storage Executive.  It requires the SSD to be installed on an internal SATA port configured for AHCI mode or an eSATA port.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

Drive is internal, and SATA mode is AHCI.

screenshot.png

Outputs from Linux and Windows are shown.

Is the drive damaged?

Or is there some way to upgrade the FW while it's locked?

Thanks,

E

JEDEC Jedi

@eoink From your screenshots "sdb"/"Drive2" doesn't show OPAL support. as it should have a "2" in the second column like "sda"/"Drive0" does.  Either this MX200 has a problem or perhaps it has ATA Security enabled which would block OPAL support.  Please show the output of the following command as it will confirm if ATA Security is enabled (substitute the Linux drive identifier for your SSD for "sdX").

sudo  hdparm  -I  /dev/sdX   |  grep  -iE  '^security'  -A5

Also provide the output of the following Linux command so we can assess the health of the MX200 having the issues:

sudo  smartctl  -a  /dev/sdX

I'm not sure if you can update the firmware of a locked drive or not.  I would assume no at least for one with ATA Security enabled as most drive commands are disabled until the drive is unlocked.  As for a drive secured using OPAL security, I don't recall seeing any information one way or the other.