MX300 Security lock state

Kilobyte Kid

Re: MX300 Security lock state

screenshot.png

Hi, the output of trying to set either the User or Master level password is always the same, bad/missing sense data.

smtctl output

hdparamI Output

Also attached are the outputs as requested.

Thanks,

E

JEDEC Jedi

@eoink Your MX200 already has ATA Security (aka BIOS hard drive password) enabled.  You may be able to use  the hdparm utility to unlock/disable the security with these commands:

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-unlock  --security-prompt-for-password   /dev/sdX

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-disable  --security-prompt-for-password   /dev/sdX

The master password has also been set, so if you do not know/remember the user password, then you can use the master password instead with these commands:

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  m   --security-unlock  --security-prompt-for-password   /dev/sdX

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  m   --security-disable  --security-prompt-for-password   /dev/sdX

If the ATA Security password was set within a BIOS, then those commands may not work since some BIOS will modify the password entered before storing it on the drive.  In this case, you need to remove the password using the BIOS itself.

The health of the MX200 looks Ok, but you may want to update the firmware on it.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

Every command I send gives the same response, bad/missing sense data.

As I don't care about what is stored on the drive, and my BIOS doens't allow me to change any passwords, is there some way to wipe the drive clean?

And updating the FW is not possible in the storage executive, as the drive is locked... Smiley Frustrated

Can I force it using msecli?

Thanks,

E

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

FYI, when issuing a hdparm ATA Security command which fails, it will normally print an I/O error message since it could not be completed successfully.  I do recall seeing the errors you have shown in your screenshots, but I don't recall the exact cirmcumstances at the moment. 

Try issuing the unlock/disable commands while the SSD is connected by a USB adapter/dock/enclosure to eliminate your SATA controller as a possible source of the errors.  This isn't foolproof since some adpaters can block the necessary commands.  If ATA Security is unlocked/disabled or if you receive an "I/O Error" message then at least we know your SATA controller is interfering.

If you still get the same type of error as before then I would suggest trying the power cycle trick which can sometimes "fix" an SSD.  It is not the same circumstances, but at this point it cannot hurt.   At this point the SSD thinks it has ATA Security enabled whether it really is true or whether it is some glitch, so no commands will be effective on it with any application.  At least the SSD is still functional, but I wouldn't use it to store any original data in case the SSD becomes more flawed and data is lost before a backup is updated.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

The drive must be damaged, as nothing I do can remove the lock.

Thanks for your help and guidance,

E