MX500 1TB and Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2 Install Status

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 1TB and Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2 Install Status

Greetings,

Just giving feedback on my install the past 5 hours. I received the drive promptly saturday

morning as promised! Speedy delivery! After spending hours watching numerous videos and

reading blogs I decided to take the plunge. It was much easier than anticipated!

The drive is being used externally on a USB port at the moment and the stock drive is still connected internally.

it's quite a process to open up these slimline iMac's to install the drive. Probably the most idiotic engineering

feat I have ever witnessed in a computer system. I have yet to decide whether to pay $150 locally to have it done

or attempt on my own. 

I formatted the SSD drive APFS from my original system drive then rebooted into utility mode and then chose "restore"

it installed the latest Mac High Sierra OS, then it asked if I was wanted to migrate any data. My original drive is 1TB also and had

600Gb of data on it. It took a few hours to index all the files, so I went to sleep at 2am and got up at 7am and it was ready to transfer

data. I t even asks if you want to update any apps prior to migrating, everythign went absolutely smooth! I could not believe it!

It took several hours to move all the data over and the system booted up without a hitch. However, I did a software update via Adobe cloud

and the drive froze solid! The green light on the Sata to USB cable was solid green and my software download was showing 40%. I rebooted

the system and it came right back up. Apparently the software had installed as well prior to the reboot. 

I realize there is a huge data bottle neck running the drive via usb but hopefully I can get my work done before installing internally. 

My iMac specs are: 

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I just added another 8Gb of ram this morning. 

Ok now the good part! I cannot believe how fast the MX500 is! Wow!  My drive was so bogged down! When I moved anything with

the mouse there was a 10 sec or more delay in action, now it's instantaneous! I had to take the plunge! I have a lot of work and

could not be productive! I could not be happier with the drive and the price point! 

Hopefully no issues with freezing! I just wanted to post for anyone else on the fence. 

One happy camper! 

Cheers!

5 Replies
Silicon Sultan

Re: MX500 1TB and Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2 Install Status

Awesome! I hear you re drive replacement in an iMAC, but what a difference it makes! 

Highlighted
Bit Baby

HI, I am upgrading my 11,3 mid 2010 iMac with a new internal 500Gb SSD and a new 2Tb HDD as the internal HDD has failed. It was actually a new internal Toshiba replaced by Apple under warranty but still failed after only two years. So have bought a WD HDD and a Crucial MX500 SSD.

Anyway....can I do my OSX install using an external dock and then put the SSD and HDD inside the mac? Sounds like thats what you did. I want to start with a clean install rather than cloning back my backup which is full of **bleep**.

Also I was intending on using High Sierra and APFS. Any residual issues with APFS. Alot of forums suggest satying with HFS J. I currently use Mavericks but a couple of programs like Logic Pro need the later OSX if I want to use the latest iteration.

Similalrly I am thinking of updating Parallels (currently using 10) so I can use Windows 10, and thus I need a newer version of OSX.

JEDEC Jedi

@allyshake It is Ok to install OSX to an external drive and then later install it internally.  Things may seem slow if you are booting with USB, but it will be just fine.    When you boot from the High Sierra installer you will need to partition your new SSD before the installer will recognize it.  I believe once you select your language in the installer, the menu bar will appear.  Once it does, click on Utilities and open Disk Utility.   If the SSD does not show up in the left pane, click on the drop down View list just above the left pane.   Select "Show All Devices".   If it still doesn't show up, then close Disk Utility and reopen it (I believe they fixed this bug).  See if it will allow you to create an APFS volume on the externally connected SSD.   You will also have to do the same thing for your new hard drive before OSX will see it.

I believe the 2010 iMac requires a special adapter when using non-Apple drives in order to provide a temperature sensor so the fans do not run at high speed.   Apple stopped using external hard drive temperature sensors and instead began using the drive's internal temperature sensor.  However, Apple modified their drive's firmware so only very specific models will even report the temperature properly.   While non-Apple drives will function just fine, the system defaults to a safety mode where it activates the hard drive fan to run at high speed so the system doesn't overheat.    I believe I once used one of the older external temperature sensors from the 2007-8 models without any problems (connectors may be different).  PM me if you want a link to the special adapter.

If you are installing the SSD in place of the Optical Drive, then don't be surprised if the SSD does not perform at its rated speed.   Many times Apple will have the Optical Drive SATA Controller locked to SATA II speeds.  I'm not sure if this is the case on this model or not.

APFS should be a much better filesystem especially with an unexpected shutdown or power loss.   The downside is it is a very new filesystem, but the plus side is they kept the new features fairly simple minimzing its complexity.   Just make sure any non-Apple apps you are going to use have been updated to be compatible with High Sierra and APFS.  Also be careful with using the fancy new features of APFS as they may not work like you think they do.  Personally I would use APFS as I've had multiple instances with HFS+ where I've lost files due to system freezes & unexpected power loss.

Guidelines for working on the iMac:

Spoiler

Make sure to unplug your iMac and leave it sit at least 30 minutes before opening it so the capacitors on the Power Supply can discharge (might be useful to press the power button for a few seconds to help drain it as well).  Even then, be careful disconnecting the upper left cable as you may feel a tingle if you touch any metal on the power supply.   Do not pull on this cable, pry it gently with a nylon spudger or using non-conductive tweezers.

Be very careful removing & installing the LCD panel screws.  I suggest you attach a magnet to your screwdriver to help hold the screw and use tweezers or needlenose pliers to hold the screw as the magnets on the LCD are very strong & are right next to these screws.   If you drop a screw in there, it can be very difficult retrieving it. 

Disconnecting & reattaching the cables during the LCD removal can be very difficult.  Be extremely careful of the DisplayPort cable on the right side as the connector is very fragile.  Do not tilt the display too far forward or it will damage this connector.   It can be tricky getting this cable reinstalled as you don't have much room to fit your hand in there to reattach it.   It is easy to damage the edges of the connector on the cable, so try to slide it on straight.   Be very careful handling the LCD Panel as it can crack due to its own weight.    Lean the panel upright while working on the iMac, just make sure the LCD won't slide & fall.   If you lay the panel flat, there is a chance it could crack (I've seen it happen with large LCDs).

Make sure to clean the dust out from each of the three fans while your iMac is open.  You can blow compressed air through the center & right ones, but the left most fan is tricky since dust gets trapped along the heatsink.   The best you can do is try blowing compressed air through the heatsink fins towards the fan to push the dust back from the heatsink, then try  to blow some air where the fan meets the heatsink (blow it toward the fan).     

Don't over tighten any of the LCD or case screws as they will easily strip the plastic posts.   They only need to be lightly snug.

Before removing the glass, clean it thoroughly.   Before reinstalling the glass use a clean dry microfiber cloth and gently clean the LCD panel.  Then clean the inside of the glass.  I suggest several passes, then folding the cloth to a clean section and clean it once more in small swirls going top to bottom  in small sections across the glass.   Do not use any liquid as it always seems to leave spots behind.  Be prepared to do this multiple times as there is always one spec of dust.

Bit Baby

Hi there!

Nice work on the drive replacement.
I have a 27inch late 2013 3.2ghz iMac and I’m keen to replace it the old SATA HDD with a crucial MX500 1Tb SSD. How did you get on with the heat sensor? Are the fans running overtime from removing old hard drive?
Crucial Employee

@Josh1 SSDs don't have a heat sensor connection like the proprietary HHDs that apple used in the iMacs. All SSDs to my knowledge, at least all of our drives have built in temp sensors which report via the SMART interface. The iMac however can not directly read these outputs, so in some instances they may run the fan at 100%. If this is ever the case you can simply install a free fan app like SMCFANControl to set the drive fan speed to a lower level, then forget! There are some sites that sell dedicated sensor cables for around $30-40, but the SSD will never overheat, so I personally would opt for a free app instead.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?