MX500 1TB m.2 not detecting on rear m.2 of Asus H310I-CSM latest bios

Bit Baby

MX500 1TB m.2 not detecting on rear m.2 of Asus H310I-CSM latest bios

Hello so i have a bit of a strange one here. Got this drive to replace the cache ssd currently installed in my unraid server, current drive is just a sandisk 128gb m.2 sata ssd and works perfectly fine. This drive installed see's nothing. But when I install this drive in a m.2 usb enclosure both my main system and the unraid system are able to see it! When i install it into my main system (Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270) it can see it as well. The board is an Asus H310I-CSM board on latest bios, it does have another m.2 slot on top of the board but that one doesnt support 2280. If i use a pcie to m.2 card (that uses a sata cable to connect to board for sata drives) the drive detects fine as well. So seems to be something with the rear m.2? Any ideas on a fix?

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 1TB m.2 not detecting on rear m.2 of Asus H310I-CSM latest bios

I am not sure if i understand that correctly but please note that only one of M.2 conntectors on H310I-CSM supports storage devices.

Mobo specs say something like that:

1 x M.2 Socket 1 with E Key, type 2230 WiFi/BT devices support or PCIe/USB mode
1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & x2 PCIE mode)

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Completely irrelevant to the problem.

JEDEC Jedi

I am unable to see a link to the CSM manual, but the Plus manual mentions that the SATA 2 port must be empty as well (check the User Manual for the CSM model to be sure it is not a different port that is tied to the m.2 slot).  Double-check you didn't forget to remove an adapter from the SATA2 port.    Also @bogdan's post is relevant since he clarifies the other m.2 connector is NOT meant for storage.

How about booting from a Knoppix drive and see if the Crucial drive can be seen using the m.2 connector.  At least then you will know the drive is compatible with the motherboard.   If it is seen, then you know you have a driver issue with the UnRAID.

Otherwise if Knoppix doesn't see the drive and you are certain nothing is connected to the SATA port which shares resources with the m.2 slot, then you should contact Asus as it seems there is some compatibility issue since  you have confirmed the Crucial drive works using other controllers.