MX500 1TB unlock ct1000mx500ssd4

SOLVED
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 1TB unlock ct1000mx500ssd4

@GALHYUNG,  If you can enable CSM Legacy boot mode on your laptop, then you can try downloading & booting from Knoppix instead.   It will have the necessary apps installed by default (and it should have a better chance of allowing you to connect to WiFi if needed).   If legacy boot mode is not an option, I can provide you links to download the apps from your other computer and place them on another storage device to install manually.   

With Knoppix you may be able to use the "GSmartControl" app located on the "System Tools" menu to check ATA Security status.   In GSmartControl, select your SSD and click on the "Device" menu and select "Information".   On the window that opens (General tab)  you should see "ATA Security" near the bottom.   If it says "Enabled" then I can provide instructions to try to disable it.   

I'm looking into getting information on how to tell if an SSD is using Opal encryption.  If I find a way to do this I will give you the instructions. 

Good to know which version of Windows you are using as any disks provided by LG  may have Windows configured differently.  I'm assuming you just downloaded it recently so it is the current version 1803.

Kilobyte Kid

i never use bitlocker (i dont know how to use bitlocker)
and i don't know CMS legacy mode
sorry...
I will study if it is necessary.
but i don't have many time..
can you tell me step by step.. about CMS legacy mode.
i need your help

or

another PC(includ LAN card)+MX500(USB adapter use) is impossible?
only try my laptop?
JEDEC Jedi

@GALHYUNG  CSM mode is configured in the BIOS and some systems don't have CSM mode settings.  CSM mode can allow legacy boot options.  I was unable to get Knoppix to boot using UEFI without modifying the .iso file which you will be unable to do from Windows so Knoppix will only boot with legacy mode.   You can try it anyway if you want just in case it would work with your system.

Since your computer and SSD were working when you installed Windows that tells me that Windows did something during the install and BitLocker being activated makes the most sense.   Most likely TPM is activated in the BIOS/UEFI settings and Windows took advantage of it automatically.   If it locked your SSD, then we need to determine which method is being used so we can unlock it.

The previous instructions can be done from another computer with the MX500 connected with a USB adapter.    I forgot to mention in the earlier post about needing to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS/UEFI settings in order to boot Linux.

I was able to find information on checking the status for the second type of encryption method.   You will need to download a boot image for the sedutils package and also 7zip so you can extract it unless Win10 can do it.    You can use Etcher to "burn" the "RESCUE64.img" file to a USB drive.   Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS/UEFI, then boot to this USB drive.   Attach your MX500 if it isn't already connected and run the following commands (press Enter/Return at the end of the line).   When prompted for a password type:  "debug" without the quotes and press "Enter/Return".   I am following instructions from here.

/sbin/linuxpba

You should see a list of drives and whether they support OPAL.  It will also show you if they are locked or unlocked using OPAL.  See here for reference.  Once you have the information you can  hold the power button to shutdown the compuer or issue the following command:

/sbin/poweroff

Kilobyte Kid

very thank you... very sorry.

You showed me very kindly. But I do not speak English very well.
So I do not understand 50% of what you say. 
If possible, please let me know by step by step.

Below is what I understand how you gave it. Please check if it is correct and correct it.

(All the courses you gave me From beginning to now)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. try laptop or another pc+USB adapter.

2. download this LXDE Linux.iso 

3. make LXDE linux USB (already make USB. i use this program )

4. BUT LXDE is no have wifi driver. 

※  If my laptop had a LAN socket

- boot LXDE USB linux

- booting USB have 4menu choose 1

- click start-systemtool-LXTerminal

- enter this command

sudo   apt   update

sudo   apt   install   hdparm

sudo   hdparm  -I  /dev/sd{a..c}

- find 3rd line Security "not enabled" or "enabled"

- tell you

- You will teach me the following

※ But my laptop is no have LAN socket. that's why don't use LXDE. another linus need.. right?

5. make another KNOPPIX Linux USB( im stoped here... there homepage -download so many files.. what i choose?)

6. CSM Legacy mode on boot my laptop

- if my laptop is don't have CSM legacy mode.. There is no way to fix MX500... right?

- or find another pc with CSM legacy mode

7. boot KNOPPIX Linux USB

8. clock start -system menu-GSmartControl

- In GSmartControl select MX500 click "Device" menu and"Information"

- find "ATA Security"-maybe "Enabled" i can change "Disable"

10. finish FIX MX500.. right?

11. install windows BitLocker (Measures to prevent the same symptoms?)

I was able to find information on checking the status for the second type of encryption method.   
You will need to download a boot image for the sedutils package and also 7zip so you can extract it unless Win10 can do it.
You can use Etcher to "burn" the "RESCUE64.img" file to a USB drive.
Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS/UEFI, then boot to this USB drive.
Attach your MX500 if it isn't already connected and run the following commands
(press Enter/Return at the end of the line).
When prompted for a password type:
"debug" without the quotes and press "Enter/Return".
I am following instructions from here.

i think very important message.

BUT i don't understand... you mean password is "debug"?

JEDEC Jedi

You have it correct.    To answer your questions & clarify a couple of points:

#5    Here is a direct download link for Knoppix from a mirror site on the West coast of the US which is fairly fast. 

#6   The Knoppix .iso file I linked to in #5 above  does appear to boot correctly on UEFI systems.  If Knoppix is not seen as a boot option, then If your laptop has an optical drive, you can burn Knoppix to a DVD or try it with another computer.  

#8  You cannot change the Security status with GSmartControl,  only check it.  Changing the Security to disabled requires other commands which I can provide.  We are just trying to confirm what the problem is with your system.

#11  Whether or not to use BitLocker is your choice.   I'm thinking it was enabled during the Windows install which my instructions should be able to determine for you.

@GALHYUNG wrote:  
I was able to find information on checking the status for the second type of encryption method.   
You will need to download a boot image for the sedutils package and also 7zip so you can extract it unless Win10 can do it.
You can use Etcher to "burn" the "RESCUE64.img" file to a USB drive.
Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS/UEFI, then boot to this USB drive.
Attach your MX500 if it isn't already connected and run the following commands
(press Enter/Return at the end of the line).
When prompted for a password type:
"debug" without the quotes and press "Enter/Return".
I am following instructions from here.

i think very important message.

BUT i don't understand... you mean password is "debug"?

#12  When you run the "/sbin/linuxpba" command, it will prompt you for a password.   "debug"  without the quotes is the password you need so it will display the OPAL encryption status.   I provided the links to the source website as they do provide some examples of what you will see.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi,

I have 2 ssd , MX500 m.2 sata and MX500 2,5" SSD. I tried all of them. (Separately tried). I tried win 10 Pro 1803 version.

Please find below info hdparm . I can't see security tab.

Regards,

/dev/sdc:

ATA device, with non-removable media

Model Number:       CT250MX500SSD4                         

Serial Number:      1813E134****       

Firmware Revision:  M3CR020

Transport:          Serial, ATA8-AST, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0

Standards:

Used: unknown (minor revision code 0x006d)

Supported: 10 9 8 7 6 5

Likely used: 10

Configuration:

Logical                  max       current

cylinders             16383    0

heads                   16           0

sectors/track     63           0

--

LBA    user addressable sectors:   268435455

LBA48  user addressable sectors:   488397168

Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes

Physical Sector size:                   512 bytes

Logical Sector-0 offset:                  0 bytes

device size with M = 1024*1024:      238475 MBytes

device size with M = 1000*1000:      250059 MBytes (250 GB)

cache/buffer size  = unknown

Form Factor: unknown (0x0007]

Nominal Media Rotation Rate: Solid State Device

Capabilities:

LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)

Queue depth: 32

Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum

R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 1  Current = 1

Advanced power management level: 254

DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6

Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns

PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4

Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns

Commands/features:

Enabled               Supported:

*          SMART feature set

*          Power Management feature set

*          Write cache

*          Look-ahead

*          WRITE_BUFFER command

*          READ_BUFFER command

*          NOP cmd

*          DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE

*          Advanced Power Management feature set

*          48-bit Address feature set

*          Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE

*          FLUSH_CACHE_EXT

*          SMART error logging

*          SMART self-test

*          General Purpose Logging feature set

*          WRITE_{DMA|MULTIPLE}_FUA_EXT

*          64-bit World wide name

*          WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command

*          {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands

*          Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE

unknown 119[8]

*          Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)

*          Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)

*          Gen3 signaling speed (6.0Gb/s)

*          Native Command Queueing (NCQ)

*          Phy event counters

*          READ_LOG_DMA_EXT equivalent to READ_LOG_EXT

DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization

Device-initiated interface power management

*          Software settings preservation

Device Sleep (DEVSLP)

*          SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set

*          SCT Features Control (AC4)

*          SCT Data Tables (AC5)

*          SANITIZE_ANTIFREEZE_LOCK_EXT command

*          SANITIZE feature set

*          CRYPTO_SCRAMBLE_EXT command

*          BLOCK_ERASE_EXT command

*          reserved 69[3]

*          reserved 69[4]

*          reserved 69[7]

*          DOWNLOAD MICROCODE DMA command

*          WRITE BUFFER DMA command

*          READ BUFFER DMA command

*          Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)

Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 500a0751e134f553

NAA                      : 5

IEEE OUI              : 00a075

Unique ID           : 1e134f553

Device Sleep:

DEVSLP Exit Timeout (DETO): 100 ms (drive)

Minimum DEVSLP Assertion Time (MDAT): 10 ms (drive)

Checksum: correct

JEDEC Jedi

@vdslformy, That is interesting.  I compared your output to one from a 250GB MX500 (with the same firmware version installed at the factory)  and the Security Section is present on mine.   I also noticed a few other differences in the Command/Features section which is strange.   Try checking to see if OPAL encryption has been enabled by following these instructions from a post earlier in this thread:

@HWTech wrote:

I was able to find information on checking the status for the second type of encryption method.   You will need to download a boot image for the sedutils package and also 7zip so you can extract it unless Win10 can do it.    You can use Etcher to "burn" the "RESCUE64.img" file to a USB drive.   Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS/UEFI, then boot to this USB drive.   Attach your MX500 if it isn't already connected and run the following commands (press Enter/Return at the end of the line).   When prompted for a password type:  "debug" without the quotes and press "Enter/Return".   I am following instructions from here.

/sbin/linuxpba

You should see a list of drives and whether they support OPAL.  It will also show you if they are locked or unlocked using OPAL.  See here for reference.  Once you have the information you can  hold the power button to shutdown the compuer or issue the following command:

/sbin/poweroff

Highlighted
Crucial Employee

It's very possible your Windows 10 install enabled Microsoft eDrive which is causing the issue. Along with with @HWTech is suggesting, you should also be able to simply download our Storage Executive Software on your old drive, connect the SSD with your adapter, then try running the PSID revert option. If Windows did enable eDrive or some other form or full disk encryption, then PSID revert will let you reset the drive, you can then proceed with formatting and installing Windows again. 

https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/An-Overview-of-Crucial-Storage-Executive/ta-p/170456

If eDrive is the source of the problem it probably is not interacting well with the TPM module on your laptop, so it would be best to prevent eDrive from enabling the next time you install Windows again. To do this, you can simply enable an ATA password in the UEFI settings, this will overwrite eDrive since you can't have both at the same time, install Windows, then disable ATA security once Windows is finished installing. The other option is to perform a registry edit to disable eDrive with Command Prompt using the install disk prior to installing Windows. This forum link below has the simple registry change to do this. It's a shame Microsoft doesn't give people a simple way to turn off eDrive instead of forcing it onto any machine that supports it -_-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/sed-edrive-unprovisioning/8714...

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

thank you~!!!

complete~! my ssd is back~!!

Kilobyte Kid

Hello Benny,

I have a similar problem. After updating the BIOS of my Lenovo V510 I get the Unlock screen. Strangely, when I unmount the drive and attached it with an external case to my other Windows machine, I see all the data and can copy it. Is there a way to reset the security without erasing the whole drive? I would rather not go through the whole installation porcess again.

Kind regards,

Christopher