MX500 1TB unlock ct1000mx500ssd4

SOLVED
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 1TB unlock ct1000mx500ssd4

@Kito42 wrote:

Hello Benny,

I have a similar problem. After updating the BIOS of my Lenovo V510 I get the Unlock screen. Strangely, when I unmount the drive and attached it with an external case to my other Windows machine, I see all the data and can copy it. Is there a way to reset the security without erasing the whole drive? I would rather not go through the whole installation porcess again.

Kind regards,

Christopher

If you can attach the drive to another system using USB and you do not need to enter a password or Recovery Key to unlock the drive, then see if you can clear or deactivate the TPM on your Lenovo.    Of course make sure your data is backed up before you try this.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

I have disabled the TPM, but no change. Still requires to unlock. I have also toggled Secure Boot. No change. So I need to do the PSID revert? How can I do that? It said it can't be done because of mounted partitions. Do I need to kill the partitions first with Windows and then use PSID Revert?

Kind regards,

Christopher

JEDEC Jedi

@Kito42 wrote:

I have disabled the TPM, but no change. Still requires to unlock. I have also toggled Secure Boot. No change. So I need to do the PSID revert? How can I do that? It said it can't be done because of mounted partitions. Do I need to kill the partitions first with Windows and then use PSID Revert?

Kind regards,

Christopher

Is this a BIOS unlock screen or a Windows unlock screen?  Is it asking for a password or a recovery key?  I take it you are unable to get past this unlock screen using your password or just by pressing "Return"?

I think what may be happening is when the BIOS/UEFI firmware was updated, Windows for some reason tries to enable OPAL security, but only the initial step occurs which might be confusing the BIOS/UEFI on boot.   Unfortunately when Windows enables OPAL security, it discards the password it uses to enable OPAL security so we have no way to disable it since we don't have the password. 

Kilobyte Kid

It is a BIOS unlock screen (the same as on page one of this thread). So I have to revert the PSID of the drive and start from scratch, right? If so, I will definitely never use encryption again. Security needs to be bullet proof for the end customer or people won't use it. I know it's not your fault, but the whole industry has to fix these issues.

Kind regards,

Christopher

JEDEC Jedi

@Kito42 wrote:

It is a BIOS unlock screen (the same as on page one of this thread). So I have to revert the PSID of the drive and start from scratch, right? If so, I will definitely never use encryption again. Security needs to be bullet proof for the end customer or people won't use it. I know it's not your fault, but the whole industry has to fix these issues.

Kind regards,

Christopher

If you are not entering a password or recovery key when connecting the SSD to your other system, but are able to read the data, then the drive is not completely secured.

Did you try just pressing "Return" at the password prompt?  How about Esc?

With some TPMs there is a "deactivation" option.  Maybe Deactivate the TPM before actually disabling/turning off the TPM.   Maybe turn on CSM mode to support both legacy & UEFI.

Since this occurred due to a BIOS firmware update, try resetting the BIOS to Defaults (or Optimized Defaults).  You could also try removing all power (power adapter, main battery, and CMOS battery).   You may also want to clear & disable the TPM and any other security type modes on the laptop after this as well so that the system doesn't get back to this state again after the resets.  It is probably best to remove the SSD for this whole procedure until all those security options have been disabled before reinstalling the SSD so that the BIOS and Windows won't trigger this event again (if this procedure even works).  If the SSD's security state has been partially activated, then the BIOS may just be reacting to it incorrectly.

I'm wondering if Windows tried to activate the hardware encryption during install, but due to the older BIOS not being compatible Windows wasn't able to complete the task.  Now that the BIOS has been updated, perhaps it now can properly support the hardware encryption.  However, now Windows and the SSD are in a halfway state in this process and the BIOS thinks it has to prompt you to unlock the security not knowing it isn't fully enabled yet.

You should contact Lenovo tech support to see if they have any ideas since it occurred because of their firmware update.  At the very least they should be made aware of the issue.

Since you were not installing Win10 like the others in this thread, your case is unique here.  Unfortunately without more information and experimentation, it is hard to say exactly what is happening and whether the Lenovo BIOS is all  at fault or whether Microsoft should share part of the blame here.

If you must perform the PSID revert & reinstall/clone Windows, you may have to resort to one of Crucial_Benny's suggestions here on how to prevent Windows from enabling eDrive.  In theory disabling the TPM should also do the trick, but it all depends on the quality of the Lenovo BIOS implementation.  Another option may be to enable OPAL security using the sedutils tools here (no guarantees if this will work depending on the underlying problem with the Lenovo BIOS).   

I agree the industry needs to properly implement these standards fully and not take shortcuts.  I see the problem being poor BIOS implementations which is nothing new unfortunately.  Part of the blame is on Microsoft as well for not providing the user a choice of enabling or disabling/ignoring encyrption.  If the SSD requires a PSID revert to fix your problem, then I believe either the BIOS or Windows set/triggered the security setting on the SSD.

You don't need to remove partitions to PSID revert.  The PSID revert will "remove" everything.

Kilobyte Kid

I have same issue once installed V310-15IBK BIOS update as well. Lenovo support just told me to apply for Windows 10 image from their website, use other computer to format the MX500 (mine is M.2 500GB) and reinstall on it, the same unlock messages appeared after format it on other computers. I've tried PSID revert but it doesn't allowed on both V310 nor other computers using Crucial software mentioned in this thread. Even I adapted it on SATA port mount, it's still locked the BIOS and the same unlock message appears even I stated with Novo button.
Lenovo said it's not their responsibility for 3rd party hardware issue but their BIOS update push really makes Crucial SSD can't on their notebooks. Crucial should figure out the solution on the capability issues between MX500 and Lenovo ideapad notebook latest BIOS.

Now I can only use the original 128GB SK Hynix SSD which it close to fully-filled...