MX500 250GB SSD — flash page size?, flash block size?, LBA (virtual sector size)?

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 250GB SSD — flash page size?, flash block size?, LBA (virtual sector size)?

Those Micron® 64layers 3D TLC NAND 256Gibibits flash banks inside the MX500 variant of 250GigaBytes are organized into blocks of pages. What is the size — in kibibytes — of a flash page and of a flash block?

Me reading through the msecli User Guide [Rev. C 4/18] have stumbled upon the possibility to "format" the SSD as described on page 37. That procedure, hopefully, should allow me to tell the SSD's firmware to advertise a LBA of 4096bytes virtual sector size instead of the ancient value of 512bytes per sector. Doing so, would it void my limited 5years SSD warranty?

Either ext or btrfs filesystems feature transparent compression. My dilemma is if I should enable it. Does the SM2258 inside the MX500 do compression?

1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 250GB SSD — flash page size?, flash block size?, LBA (virtual sector size)?

FYI, the format opton on page 37 says it is for SAS Drives Only.  Perhaps the ability to actually modify the value on a SATA drive not allowed or has no affect.   Some people on these forums here & here were reporting that some newer drives may be reporting 4096 sector sizes now.  A Crucial representative would have to address the warranty issue.

AFAIK the MX500 does not compress any data.  You should be able to test this yourself by writing data that is compressable and non-compressable and comparing the results.