MX500 250gb Failure

Highlighted
Bit Baby

MX500 250gb Failure

Hi.. I have a 1 Month old 250gb CT250MX500SSD1 and the laptop froze and then stopped booting. Have plugged it into 2 other PCs and it doesnt appear anymore. (In disk management it says uknown disk, uninitialized.. and when you go to initiliaze it just says "unknown error")

Is there a way to recover data (if I buy another 250gb and swap the controller or something?) or am I stuffed.  Customer I bought it for is fuming as I convinced them that these new drives would be more reliable than their old mechanical drive which had developed bad sectors (but at least allowed me to recover data)

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 250gb Failure

Whilst they are more reliable, old recovery tricks like that won't help because the data isn't stored in a way that would 'make sense' to another controller.  You need the mapping from the flash translation layer to make sense of how the data is laid out in the NAND.

I also suspect you'd need considserably more advanced electrical engineering skills/equipment since the controller and NAND are on the same PCB.

You can try this trick (mainly aimed at much older drives before they had powerloss protection) https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65...

But really you'd be relying on backups if the drive has failed.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Note: there are companies that claim to be able to do this (though I've not heard of anyone trying them) so I'm not saying it's impossible.  Just that it's a lot more involved that unplugging a circuit board and plugging in a new one from an equivalent model.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@gbickle 

If the SSD is using hardware encryption you would first need to unlock the SSD as the encryption key is tied to the original system where it is unlocked automatically.   It also may not show up properly in another system until it is unlocked.

Also, if you need to recover data from an SSD a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers can be used and they provide free estimates.

While SSDs are really nice, you definitely want to keep good working and verified backups more than you did with the hard drives.   Many times when an SSD fails it will give no warning. 

JEDEC Jedi

Yeah... I hadn't even considered how the encryption would affect this!

Want to be a Super User?