MX500 500GB not showing in boot manager anymore after windows 10 bluescreen crash

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 500GB not showing in boot manager anymore after windows 10 bluescreen crash

I was playing cities skylines which I had installed on the drive (it's my boot drive), windows 10 suddenly crashed and gave a bluscreen error followed by a restart which resulted in booting to bios,I checked the boot manager and saw that the ssd wasn't there anymore, I tried changing the sata cable and power cable but same problem. I even had a Windows installer usb drive and opened it to see if it will detect the ssd but it wasn't there! I only had this drive for like a month and it was workin perfectly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I tried powercycling it for 1 hour and it's still dead.

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 500GB not showing in boot manager anymore after windows 10 bluescreen crash

FYI, Not showing up in Boot Manager does not necessarily mean the SSD is bad.  UEFI systems are notorious for not being able to recognize boot files.  Check to see if the SSD is showing up on the SATA controller in the BIOS/UEFI settings.  Not showing up as a physical device with the Windows installer does not bode well though so you should try connecting the SSD to another system or with a USB adapter/dock/enclosure to confirm the issue is with the SSD.  You could also try connecting it to another SATA port, but this option won't help if you have system or configuration issues.

Make sure the BIOS/UEFI firmware is up to date. Try resetting the BIOS/UEFI to defaults.

Highlighted
Crucial Employee

Re: MX500 500GB not showing in boot manager anymore after windows 10 bluescreen crash

If you have access to a USB cable, make sure you'follow our power cycle procedure to see if the drive can be recovered. Be aware the steps for this process have changed recently.

https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65...

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?