MX500 - Activate hardware encryption on Secondary hardddrive?

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 - Activate hardware encryption on Secondary hardddrive?

HI, I have a HP Eliteone 1000 AIO on order and also a MX500. The computer has a NVME primary drive and I like to use the MX 500 ( 1TB version) as a storage drive with bitlocker encryption.

I have read this guide thoroughly  https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Setup-of-Hardware-Encryption-on-Crucial-SEDs-via-Bitlocke... and now i realise that possibly this guide is only intended for people using the MX500 as a boot drive.

Now I am asking myself: Can I apply hardware bitlocker encryption to a secondary harddrive in any way? Or will it have to be software encryption on a secondary harddrive?

Gianni

1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 - Activate hardware encryption on Secondary hardddrive?

I'm not a Windows user, but I believe you should be able to use BitLocker hardware encryption on a secondary drive, but it will depend on the BIOS/UEFI capabilities.   Sometimes getting hardware encyption to work takes a couple of attempts.   Just because BitLocker is active on a drive does not mean it is using hardware encryption.  You need to run a comand in the terminal to verify it.  I don't recall the command off the top of my head.   It is easy to find the information online.