MX500 Extremely slow - HALP!

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 Extremely slow - HALP!

I just upgraded from an M4 250 Gb to an MX500. The MX500 is performing incredibly slow, comparatively.

Here are a couple screen shots of what I am seeing. The M4 is out-performing the MX500 by 3x the speeds.

Each drive is using a different driver, but Windows 7 asigned the drivers automatically, and from my understanding, there should not be any specific drivers for either drive.

Anyone know what the possible issue may be? Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 Extremely slow - HELP!

Looks like its running at sata 1.  What motherboard do you have?  If it's nvidia based then that's a motherboard chipset flaw.  Though I'm not sure how you'd have gotten the M4 to do any better in that case!

If it's not nvidia based, have you plugged it into the same sata port as the M4 was in?  Some boards have sata ports of varying speeds/quality.  You wouldn't want it in a jmicron port for instance.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I thought the SATA ports may come into play, so I went and downloaded the P6x58D controller drivers. Now, both the M4 and MX500 are using the 1.0.0.1034 Marvell 91xx SATA 6G drivers and both are getting ~130 Mb/s read and write.

It seems something goofy is going on, as the MX500 should be considerably faster.

Kilobyte Kid

After doing some further research, it seems that the 1.0.0.1034 Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller is garbage, and on the P6x58D, I'm better off using the Intel SATA 2 ports, what a shame. I was planning on upgrading, I guess I picked the wrong piece to upgrade first.

Kilobyte Kid

So here's a side-by-side comparison of the benchmarks I'm getting. Note that the M4 is now using the same Marvell controller and plugged into one of the two 6Gb ports. The MX500 is plugged into the other 6Gb port.

How is there such a disparity? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I guess I should note that I have Bitlocker encryption turned on, but that should only make a little bit slower... 

as-ssd-bench CT500MX5 00SSD1  4.11.2019 9-47-30 PM.pngas-ssd-bench M4-CT256 M4SSD2  4.11.2019 9-44-21 PM.png

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

I've never actually seen the MX500 on a Marvell port.  But the M4 uses a Marvell SSD controller itself and the MX500 doesn't.  So perhaps the M4 plays better with Marvells 'interesting' definition of sata 3??

But yes, in any case I would recommend the use of your chipset controller, even if its sata 2, over the onboard Marvell controller.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I would probably use Intel's SATA2 ports too. 

How do both drives compare side-by-side on Intel's port? Did you try connecting them this way?

As for the driver for Intel controller, I wouldn't recommend installing Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver that you can download from Asus support site. The driver that should work on your mobo is here.

Want to be a Super User?