MX500 Not Being Recognized

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

MX500 Not Being Recognized

SSD: MX500 500GB SSD M.2

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370xp SLI

I purchased the MX500 500GB SSD through Amazon. I installed it on my motherboard, however it is not being recognized in the BIOS or in windows. Ive tried multiple times to reseat it with no luck. I've also tried it with just the SSD and no other sata connections, still no luck. At this point i dont know what to do. There is also a red light on the SSD when my PC is on; im not sure what that means. Also, I checked the list of supported motherboards and my motherboard is on it.

Probably going to send it back at this point... Smiley Sad

Tags (1)
5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 Not Being Recognized

According to the board specs - it should support it.  Check you have the latest BIOS for the board.  And see if there's a BIOS option to toggle between sata and pci on the m.2 slot.  If there is - it wants to be sata for this drive model.  There may not be an option - it may be automatic.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

I've already updated the motherboard to the latest firmware. I also do not see an option to switch types so I'm guessing it's automatic.

JEDEC Jedi

Note there are two M.2 connectors on your mobo but only one (labelled M2P_32G) can support your MX500 M.2 drive. I think it is the M.2 connector closer to CPU. Did you connect your drive to this connector? 

The M2P_32G connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 0 connector so make sure you do not connect other drive to SATA 3 0 connector.

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

I'm so confused. The website for the motherboard said it was supposed to go to the bottom so i didnt even think about trying the top one. Your comment made me try it anyways and it worked! Thanks so much

JEDEC Jedi

Cool Smiley Happy

Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!