MX500 Not Recognized in Boot List

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 Not Recognized in Boot List

I purchased a MX500 (CT500MX500SSD4) for use in an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E motherboard.

I made sure to the M.2_1 slot and set the M.2 mode in BIOS to SATA, nothing is plugged into the SATA6G_1 port yet I cannot get the bios to see the drive.

I have done also done a reseat to no avail.

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 Not Recognized in Boot List

Is there perhaps another BIOS/UEFI setting to enable/disable  individual  M.2 slots or SATA ports?   Check the motherboard user guide to see if the M.2 slot you are using is being shared with another system resource.  If so, change M.2 slot or move the other resource so it does not interfere with the M.2 SSD.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS/UEFI settings to Default and/or Optimized Defaults?   If you customized the CPU or  memory settings these might interfere with the SSD.

Is your motherboard firmware up to date?

Kilobyte Kid

I managed to get the Firmware updated, however that didn't change anything.  The Firmware update reset everything back to default.  According the user manual, only the M.2_1 port is capable of the SATA M.2 interface, the other only accepts PCIe.  I reconfirmed that I placed the drive in the correct slot.  That slot does share with the SATA6G_1 port, but as I stated earlier, I made sure to keep it empty.  Having it set to enabled or disabled doesn't make a difference.  The only settings for the M2_1 slot are to choose AUTO/SATA/PCIE modes.  Both AUTO and SATA modes do not detect it.  Boot list continues to only list my HD in SATA6G_2 slot and the USB boot driver for Windows installer.

I've tried enabling/disabling the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) with no effect.

BIOS Verison is now 1002 (07/02/18)

JEDEC Jedi

Does the Windows installer see the SSD?

Was Windows installed onto the SSD and did it ever boot?   Or is this the first time you are using the M.2 and trying to install Windows which cannot see it as a destination drive?   Or did you clone the drive?  If so what type was the source drive?

If Windows was installed and you changed any BIOS/UEFI settings for the M.2/SATA then it would make it unbootable unless you change it back exactly as it was during the original install.

Was Windows installed with a legacy MBR boot setup or a GPT UEFI boot setup?     

If it was my system  and there is nothing important on the SSD, I would set it up for UEFI only  booting and disable the legacy CSM items and reset and/or disable the TPM and reinstall Windows (deleting all partitions as well).  

Kilobyte Kid

This is a brand new PC I've built.  No previous Windows installation of any kind.  I bought the SSD to use as my main OS drive and have a secondary HD/SSD for storage.  Attempting the Windows installer with the SSD as the only drive connected has the installer asking me to install a driver because it doesn't see any available disk to use at all. 

Disabling the CSM has had no effect.  I'm unfamiliar with the TPM.  Only reference I discovered in the BIOS was under Advanced/PCH-FW Configuration.  "TPM Device Selection" can be set to either "Discrete TPM" or "Firmware TPM".  Since there's no disable I'm unsure what setting to choose. (Note: Default is "Discrete TPM").

JEDEC Jedi

I'm not sure  about the TPM either since the manual doesn't discuss it.  I would leave it at the default (there is a header for it on the motherboard as well).

Make sure RAID is disabled.   Even if you didn't actually add the SSD to a RAID it may not be able to see the drive until the driver is installed.  Make sure M.2 SATA configuration is set to AHCI mode.

What version of Windows are you installing?   Have you checked the CD that shipped with the motherboard to see if there may be a driver on it for this purpose?    

Create a Knoppix USB Flash drive using Etcher and see if it can see your M.2 SSD.  You will need to disable Secure Boot and set CSM to enabled and set the CSM Boot Devices Control to "UEFI & Legacy OPROM" or "Legacy OPROM only".   I'm not sure if Knoppix will have the necessary drivers for a new board, but if it does see the SSD without issue at least you know the SSD & motherboard are good and it is a Windows issue.   You can use the "GSmartControl" app located on the "System Tools" menu to see if the SSD is recognized.   GPartEd (Knoppix menu) &  Disks (Accessories menu) can also be used. 

You could also check the Knoppix log to see how the motherboard is configured for the M.2 SSD using the following command in a Terminal app (lxterminal app is the mostly black icon on the taskbar):

sudo  dmesg  -t   |  grep  -iE  "^ahci|^scsi|^ata|^raid"

If you see the M.2 SSD associated with RAID then this is probably causing your Windows installer issue.    Ideally the M.2 SSD should be associated with ahci & ata entries.   You may see RAID entries, but they should not be associated with the SSD.