MX500 SATA SSD and SATA Operation in BIOS, what is the best option to select ?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

MX500 SATA SSD and SATA Operation in BIOS, what is the best option to select ?

I have this Crucial MX500 SATA SSD installed on my desktop.

I am new with SSD as I have always used mechanical hard drives before and so I have couple of questions in mind if I can get answers from friendly community.

First of all let me explain what hardware setup I have to give you better understanding.

- Intel i7-4770 Processor on Intel Q87 Express Chipset

- 16GB Memory

- 3 x WD Black 320GB HDDs

- 1 x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD

- Intel Rapid Storage Technology used for RAID

I have set up SATA Operation to RAID On as the 2 x 320GB HDDs are in RAID-0 setup. I need it that way as intact.

My questions are as below.

1 - Is it ok to have SATA operation RAID On with SSD drive being OS drive for better performance as well as life span ?

2 - What if I have option to install M.2 PCIe SSD instead and in that case what should be best option for SATA Operation ?

3 - I have turned off auto defragmentation from Windows, what other optimizations should I do to have good SSD lifespan and performance ?

I have installed the Crucial Storage Executive already.

Any helpful information is much appreciated.

Thank you.

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 SATA SSD and SATA Operation in BIOS, what is the best option to select ?

1) RAID on is fine.  The drive will then be considered a 'non-member' drive and will largely be treated as an AHCI drive - which is what you want.

2) Crucial disks don't support PCIe

3) You shouldn't do this on Windows 7 or later.  WIndows 7 will do that for you.  Windows 8 and later actually have an SSD friendly optimisation which you actively want to be enabled.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Re: MX500 SATA SSD and SATA Operation in BIOS, what is the best option to select ?

@targetbsp wrote:

1) RAID on is fine.  The drive will then be considered a 'non-member' drive and will largely be treated as an AHCI drive - which is what you want.

2) Crucial disks don't support PCIe

3) You shouldn't do this on Windows 7 or later.  WIndows 7 will do that for you.  Windows 8 and later actually have an SSD friendly optimisation which you actively want to be enabled.

Regarding Answer 2 - What I mean to ask is if lets say I install any PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD on my system then what should I set my SATA Operation to. But never mind, after reading some more information on it, I figured it doesn't matter for PCIe NVMe drives as its not being controlled by my Intel Controller.

For Answer 3 - Does it mean that I should leave the default settings on from Windows 10. It should only defreg my mechanical drives but not SSD drive ?

JEDEC Jedi

2) No idea.  I wouldn't imagine sata port config would matter for an NVMe drive.

3)  Yes, leave as default. Windows 10 will run the 'defrag' program on the SSD as and when it chooses.  But it won't actually do a defrag.  It will do a free space erase which is beneficial to an SSD.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?