MX500 SSD Is unbelievably slow!!!

Kilobyte Kid

MX500 SSD Is unbelievably slow!!!

Hey guys,

So I've recently decided to 'upgrade' my kinda-old PC, and replace some of my HDDs with SSDs.

I've began so by replacing my main HDD with a corsair 250gb SSD, and was really impressed by the results,

After a while, I've decided to replace another 1TB HDD with Transcend 1TB SSD, and again, was really impressed by the speed,

Then, I've decided to replace my 2TB HDD with Crucial MX500 2TB SSD.

What an awful desicion that was.

First let me tell you what I've tried-

- I'm running a fully up-to-date version of Win 7 x64

- I've tried making firmware upgrade of the SSD

- I've tried switching between IDE and AHCI

- I've tried switching between SATA ports and cables

- I've tried several customizations of defragments, indexing and what not, that I've found online.

- I've tried checking resource montior, to make sure that neither my CPU, GPU nor RAM are fully 'occupied' while I'm having those issues.

Let me first say, that I trust benchmarks with a grain of salt,

But I do feel the awful SSD performance, as I can't even watch videos on that SSD without constant stuttering.

Same videos, on a different hard drive, works just fine.

Using the latest version of AS-SSD-Benchmark,

My Corsair and Transcend are easily getting around 150MB/s write and 200MB/s read,

But the Crucial MX500 SSD, does not get any higher then 30MB/s read and write (yes, seriously, 30MB/s).

My 4 y.o. 2TB HDD gave me better speeds than that.

I'm really frustrated guys.

I've tried anything I can think of, and I could find over the web.

Any suggestions, besides smashing that SSD with an hammer?

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 SSD Is unbelievably slow!!!

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your new Crucial MX500.  You are correct those numbers are bad even for an old system and you've performed most of the necessary steps to troubleshoot the problem.

I'm not a Windows user so I cannot provide you with exact instructions, but see if you can put the MX500 SATA port/driver into performance mode (BIOS may have it as  hot plug), or disable power management for the SSD.

Please post the SMART Attributes of the MX500 using Crucial Storage Executive (CSE) or GSmartControl (portable version is available so no installation is necessary).  If you can afford to erase the MX500, then use CSE to Secure Erase the MX500 so it resets it to factory defaults.

Is Win7 partitioning the drive on 4k boundaries?  Maybe you can try creating the first partition on a 1MB boundary as a test.  I had one SSD (forget the brand) where changing the partition boundary greatly affected performance on the SSD even though every other SSD I use would work just fine.

Do you have another computer you can use to test the MX500?  Or a USB adapter/dock/enclosure?

Another option to eliminate a Windows issue with the MX500 is to boot a Knoppix USB drive and run tests on the MX500 using Knoppix.  Let me know if you are intereset in some tips.

If we cannot figure out the problem, then you can always RMA the drive just in case your drive just happens to be defective.

JEDEC Jedi

Could you please post the AS SSD benchmarks? AS SSD does provide useful diagnostic information for poor performance as well as the benchmark figures.  Such as the sata driver and drive alignment.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hey guys,

Thank you for your fast replies.

Here are the AS SSD Benchmark's results, Storage Executive's Driver Details, and Storage Executive's SMART page-

Crucial Benchmark.jpgCrucial Drive Details.jpgCrucial SMART.jpg

I see that the'Ultra-DMA CRC Error Count' is pretty high.

What does it mean?

I've already tried switching SATA ports and SATA cables,

And it didn't seem to change anything.

Also,

I'm sorry, but I'm not very clear on what partition boundry is.

What does it mean if Win7 partitioning the drive on 4k boundaries?

How can I check it?

This is really frustrating.

As you can see, the benchmark results are even worse.

:-\

Cheers.

Ami

JEDEC Jedi

@AMI289 wrote:

I see that the'Ultra-DMA CRC Error Count' is pretty high.

What does it mean?

It means the data that arrived at your computer was nto the same as the data sent from the drive.  And so the drive has to resend it - which compromises performance.  It's usually a cable fault or cable needing reseated.  But you say you've already tried a different cable and sata port so I'm not sure!  Interference from something maybe??

Are you able to try it in a different computer?  If you get the same in a different computer I'd guess the sata port on the drive itself was faulty in some way. Note: I've never actually heard of this being a thing before - normally it's the cable!

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

No,

Unfortunately I don't have another PC I can connect the hard drive to.

I do, however, have an external case in which I can plug the hard drive to one of my USB ports.

Would that be any indication,

Or due to slow USB 2 speeds that won't be any indication at all?

JEDEC Jedi

Could be a good test. I'd think it'd go a bit faster than what you're currently seeing if conencted to usb 2.  Since USB 2 is the bottleneck, the sequential writes should at least go up to the same speed as the sequential reads.

Want to be a Super User?
Crucial Employee

What's the make/model of motherboard/system you're using?

Even your other SSDs are getting below SATA II speeds, so they're being downgraded to SATA I speeds for some reason.

The Ultra-DMA CRC Error Count errors or a SATA interface handshake issue, that means there's a problem with the SATA controller talking to the SSD.

The fact your other SSDs are being forced to run slower SATA speeds and you're getting DMA errors isn't a good sign for your computer. 

Is this a clean install of Windows 7 you have on the MX500?

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Want to be a Super User?