MX500 clone, no sound.

Bit Baby

Re: MX500 clone, no sound.

I had this recently too after using Acronis to clone one SSD to another (larger) SSD. Upon rebooting with the new SSD I had no sound. Reconnected the old SSD, sounds was back. However, on both occasions I still had the devices visible in Device Manager.

- Uninstalling drivers didn't help

- Downloading and reinstalling drivers didn't help

The only thing that worked for me was to right-click each entry under 'Sound, video and game controllers' and choose 'Update driver' followed by 'Search automatically'

I got the standard message of 'the best drivers for your device are already installed' but after doing this my sound worked again.

If you do not have the devices visible in Device Manager, Rusty's solution will help you.

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you RustyG! Replaced original HDD in older Dell Win 7 desktop last night with a new 500gb SSD. Cloning and install went great. Running WAYYY faster now. This morning(didn't check last night) noticed no sound. Spent a couple hours installing, removing, updating drivers to no avail. In 30 seconds with your method had sound again! Just ordered two more SSD drives for two laptops that I use in home theater set-ups. Should I expect the same sound issue? Is it a Windows, Acronis software, or the SSD itself causing the issue? Again, thank you. Should have started here.

Bit Baby

Thanks!  I only wish I had read your post before unnecessarily installing different downloaded drivers to try fixing the problem.  Fortunately I had the presence of mind to create a system restore point before installing drivers.

After reading your post I rolled back in System Restore, then followed your instructions and BOOM! - my sound was working again.

Bit Baby

On this website  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Windows-7-quot-No-Audio-Output-Device-is-Installed-quot... , I found the following and it helped me solve the problem: "I think I may have solved my problem, possibly in a manner everyone may consider rather obvious. My HP 350 G1 laptop lost its audio after I upgraded to a SSD. In Device Manager, under Sound, video and game controllers, I was missing the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC device. I was focused on trying to get this back. Nothing worked. After a while, I happened to notice that under System Devices, there were two devices called High Definition Audio Controller, both of which had yellow problem symbols. I uninstalled both of these and rebooted my laptop. Upon startup, it said something like "obtaining/updating driver for new hardware" and listed the High Definition Audio Controller and the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC as installed successfully. The Sound, video and game controllers part of Device Manager now had the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC device. I rebooted my PC again and the audio was restored. I wish I had looked at the other parts of the Device Manager sooner".