06-14-2018 03:44 AM - last edited on 06-14-2018 07:33 AM by pamelaz
Hello Crucial crew!
I've been asked to implement data security in a company with multiple PCs due to GDPR. Drives encryption is one of the more important tasks to achieve that. I decided to use TCGs Opal 2.0 copliant drive using open-sourced Drive Trust Alliance's sedutil project.
When it comes to drives with TCGs Opal 2.0 I chose your MX500s as you advertise those with such sentence:
"Hardware-based encryption: Keep personal files and confidential data restricted from hackers and thieves with AES 256-bit encryption that meets all industry standards, including Microsoft® eDrive, IEEE1667, and TCG Opal 2.0.".
Fortunately, I've bought just one for testing purposes and guess what... they're not compatible with sedutil. I guess that's not surprising for you as you replied to a user issuing you exactly this problem like that:
I apologize about the delay in response. Engineering has been looking into this issue.
The problem has been identified and should hopefully be addressed with a future firmware update. I am unable to give you any details about a firmware release time, but it should hopefully be in the somewhat near future.
Guys, it's been over 3 months after you stated you have this problem identified and yet, there's no firmware upgrade so either you don't give a sh*t to your customer problems or you are unable to get it working. Either way, I'm really willing to go for ***Edited to remove Crucial competitor*** SSDs which are similarly priced and somehow they made it work but I'll give you this one chance to make it right.
Please respect that I'm fighting, cause in the end I'm trying to help you save your reputation and honestly I'm kind of wasting my time. I could just get a refund for my MX500 as it doesn't meet a specification it's marketed with but I'm fighting also for others who wanted to enable encryption using open-sourced tools (sedutil) and for many to come who will want to do that. A few of those you can find here: https://github.com/Drive-Trust-Alliance/sedutil/issues/198 and those are also the guys who are willing to help. If your engineers have any problems they should especially get in contact with r0m30, who is a main developer of that project and knows it like his own pockets.
I'm really waiting for information on your next steps and by that I mean some real info on when I can expect you to give a firmware upgrade or some work with sedutil project to make your drive compatible with it.
06-14-2018 04:13 AM
I've never known Crucial pre-announce the release date for a firmware update if that's what you're hoping for?
I don't recall seeing any posts on here with regards to issues with encryption on this model? Crucial typically recommend Bitlocker for the task so it's possible it's got an issue with some software and not others? That would certainly be a shame in this case because I believe the forerunners for this utility was developed for his M500?
It's been a while since we've seen r0m30 around here!
I'm not sure if there's anyone on this forum who could help him. The firmware engineers are at Micron I believe. Us volunteer forum support guys for Crucial are pretty far removed from them. The Crucial staff monitoring the forum have the means to pass feedback to and from the engineers but:
a) from your quote it sounds like they are already aware.
b) I've never seen a release date for a firmware patch come back from such an exchange.
06-14-2018 10:12 AM
I really do appreciate your answear. I wasn't aware of R0m30's posts in here and about him using M500 for the msed but I appreciate also his work very much. At the end, open-sourced tools are those priceless in IT. I also didn't know this forum's community are rather volunteers, I was hoping I can get in touch here with anyone connected directly with Micron engineers.
To be honest I think I'd better go for competitors' drives. I don't want to cross a mountain if I don't have to... and I really don't have to. I'll use bought MX500 in my business anyway but I don't like to give up so... maybe I'll write also on other forum where I've seen Micron representatives posts but if I'll not be given any precise info then I'll just give up.
Thank you anyway and best wishes for you!
06-14-2018 04:22 PM
Thank you for your patience while we are working through this issues. I followed up with our Engineering team, and it appears that they responded to you on Spiceworks saying they hope to have a fix in a few weeks. I apologize in the delay, but hopefully we will have something for you soon.