MX500 external drive no longer recognized by macOS

SOLVED
Bit Baby

MX500 external drive no longer recognized by macOS

I have this drive: Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, in this enclosure: ORICO USB3.0 to SATA III 2.5" which I use as an external drive for my MacBook pro (early 2015, version 10.13.6) to edit photo/video off of.

I've had the drive for 6 months and it's been working fine. Yesterday it froze after both my computer and connected drive slid off a pillow onto the floor. I disconnected it (not properly, probably) and now it's no longer showing up on my computer on desktop or Disk Utility. 

The blue light still comes on when I connect it. Is it possible there's a problem with the connection and I need a new cable/case? I have files on here I'd like to recover.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 external drive no longer recognized by macOS

Does the drive indicator LED behave normally?

Open Disk Utility and run First Aid on the MX500 volume.

Make sure to try a different USB port on your laptop in case it was damaged in the fall.  Open your enclosure and make sure the SSD is still securely connected.

If you still have issues, then open the Console app and watch for any messages as you plug in the USB drive.   These messages may scroll by quickly so you may need to scroll back and hold the scrollbar to view them.    If you cannot see anything relevant, then click on the System.log in the left pane and look at the most recent entries to see if any apply to your USB drive & MX500.

If you cannot see the MX500 in Disk Utility, check the Apple System Profiler and click on "USB" in the left pane and look for the Orico enclosure & MX500 in the right pane.  This can tell us if the enclosure and MX500 can be seen.  If so, then most likely you have a filesystem issue, otherwise a USB port/cable/enclosure issue.

What filesystem was used on the MX500?

Bit Baby

Re: MX500 external drive no longer recognized by macOS

Oh my goodness, thank you!

It was simply that the SSD wasn't securely connected in the closure *face palm*. I swore I had checked that, but obviously not thoroughly enough—it looks connected but you have to really press for it to lock in.

Glad it was that simple. Thank you for taking the time to give such a clear, step-by-step response.