MX500 firmware update does not work

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

MX500 firmware update does not work

I bought a new MX500. Since the latest firmware update is from December, I thought it possible that my SSD was manufactured before that firmware was released. I downloaded the firmware and noticed that it was an ISO file. I "burned" it to a USB flash drive using the dd command on Linux. However, when I tried to boot using it, I received an error message saying that a kernel could not be found. The Arch page on SSDs (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive) states that Crucial's ISO files are not hybrid images and therefore won't work with the dd command.  This is strange because the ISO is a Linux program. My question is, since the ISO offers a command line, what command will run the firmware update -- or specify the current firmware level?

And is Crucial planning to release Storage Executive for Linux?

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 firmware update does not work

If an ISO image is not a hybrid, you can make it one using the "isohybrid" command on it.  This works for the older firmware updaters.  For a UEFI boot, you may need to use the "-u" option.

The current MX300 & MX500 firmware ISOs are broken when trying to update using Legacy MBR  booting.  If your system can enable UEFI boot, then you could temporarily enable it, boot the Crucial updater, then return the BIOS to its original  legacy settings. 

If your system cannot enable UEFI or you do not want to change your BIOS settings, then you can maybe create a bootable USB updater by following my instructions in this post.  Let me know if you have any issues with the instructions as the first set is untested.

You can view your SSD's current firmware by issuing the following command:

sudo  smartctl  -i  /dev/sdX

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately my laptop is an older HP that has heartburn when BIOS is set to UEFI boot. BIOS appears to support it, but it gets downright cranky when tried.

Linux Mint does not appear to support smartctl. I tried to install it before and got an error message about the package not being available, which is strange because it probably comes from upstream, either Debian or Ubuntu.

I'll first try burning the ISO with Rufus when I switch SSDs to return to Windows 10. Then I'll try your recipe.

JEDEC Jedi

I doubt using Rufus will work since another user in the thread I linked burned a CD and it had the same error (I only mentioned it because a Crucial representative mentioned it to me, but I had no way to verify it).  I think you will need to attempt manually creating the USB updater using my first method I linked to before.   It should be pretty quick & easy to do if I wrote it up correctly.

No worries, some early UEFI capable systems have very poor UEFI implementations.  Some still do which is ashame because in some ways it is an improvement over legacy booting.

You need to install "smartmontools" in order to get the "smartctl" app.   FYI, If you install "apt-file" you can use it to search for the package a command belongs to like:   "apt-file  find  smartctl"

Kilobyte Kid

I must have been tired when I posted my earlier reply. I used a Manjaro LiveUSB to read the firmware version, as it has smartctl, and the firmware is the current one. I will install smartmontools to get it on Linux Mint. Thanks for your assistance.