MX500 not compatible due to encryption

Bit Baby

MX500 not compatible due to encryption

After using the Crucial website to see what drive were compatible with my Samsung NP355V5C-A06, I purchased a 1TB MX500 SSD.

When installing the drive, with a fresh version of Windows 10 (1803) everything works fine until the first reboot, where upon the laptop will just sit on the BIOS screen.

I have been in touch with Samsung and I am running the latest BIOS but they say due to the hardware encryption the drive will never boot.  I have used another SDD (Kingston) which does not have encryption and everything work fine.

I have tried setting a HDD BIOS password and everything else suggested on this board, but nothing works.

I am a computer engineer by trade and have installed SSD on a number of systems, but they all have been without encryption without any problems.

How do I disable the encryption?  Or can the drive be exchanged for one without encryption?

9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 not compatible due to encryption

I've never heard of a system not being compatible with SED drives.  Unless it's enabled, the host should be unaware of it: https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/An-Overview-of-Hardware-Encryption/ta-p/181035

And as you can see in that article, it's always encrypted internally.

As far as I know, the BX series don't support encryption.

If you bought it from Crucials site after it had said it was compatible then it is guaranteed to be so, so if you contact support - they'll sort you out.  If you bought it from another store I'd have thought you'd need to contact them for a return?  But by all means try contacting Crucial support and see what they say.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

When you tried setting the BIOS hard drive password, would it let you set it?  If not, then Win10 may have enabled hardware encryption and you will need to do a PSID revert on the MX500 which changes the MX500's internal encryption keys which should make the SSD appear blank.  I would also do a Secure Erase as well (after the PSID revert) to reset it to factory defaults just to make sure the drive is in a good clean state, but this should not be necessary.    Then you should be able to set a BIOS hard drive password.

If Samsung believes the MX500 SED features are interfering, then I would go into the laptop's BIOS/UEFI settings and disable Secure Boot and the TPM & reinstall Windows.   As a more extreme test, you could also disable UEFI mode and enable pure legacy mode if this is an option (may be under CSM settings) and reinstall Windows again by booting the installer using the traditional MBR boot option if available.  In theory this should minimize any Samsung laptop features from interfering.  Hopefully just disabling Secure Boot or the TPM would be enough if you don't want to use a hard drive password.

Another option would be to install Ubuntu Linux to the MX500.  If it can boot and reboot to the MX500 then you know the MX500 is compatible with the hardware (even with the above settings enabled: UEFI only mode, Secure Boot & TPM).   If this works, then you have a Windows issue.

As @targetbsp mentions, I don't see how the MX500's internal encryption would have any affect on the laptop since it should be invisible to it.   The laptop should only see a regular SSD until software enables the extra security features.

The BX series does not support hardware encryption, but unfortunately it does not have a 1TB option since the BX series is considered a budget or economy line.

Bit Baby

Thanks for the reply.

I am able to set a BOIS password for the SSD, I have tried setting the secure boot on and off and change UEFI back to legacy.  I have tried all combinations but Windows will install but never reboot.  I have yet to try an different OS, if that does not work then I do not know what is up.

JEDEC Jedi

Is the Windows installer one you downloaded direct from Microsoft?  If not, then try using one downloaded direct from Microsoft.  

Have you tried resetting the BIOS/UEFI to defaults or even removing the CMOS battery if it is accessible (maybe something is corrupt and holding its settings)?

If you install Ubuntu on the SSD, then in theory you should be able to boot it whether it is connected internally or externally (disable the HD password if used externally as I'm not sure you can unlock easily).  Might be worth a try to eliminate the SATA controller.  I don't use Ubuntu, but I believe it is compatible with Secure Boot.

Kilobyte Kid

@pbrooks2005 wrote:

After using the Crucial website to see what drive were compatible with my Samsung NP355V5C-A06, I purchased a 1TB MX500 SSD.

When installing the drive, with a fresh version of Windows 10 (1803) everything works fine until the first reboot, where upon the laptop will just sit on the BIOS screen.

I have been in touch with Samsung and I am running the latest BIOS but they say due to the hardware encryption the drive will never boot.  I have used another SDD (Kingston) which does not have encryption and everything work fine.

I have tried setting a HDD BIOS password and everything else suggested on this board, but nothing works.

I am a computer engineer by trade and have installed SSD on a number of systems, but they all have been without encryption without any problems.

How do I disable the encryption?  Or can the drive be exchanged for one without encryption?

unfortunately e-drive support is set to ready state by default on Crucial drives (other companys SSD that support e-drive you have to enable e-drive support then reload windows to use it) if the UEFI bios supports it and the drive supports it windows 10 will take control of the SSD e-drive to secure it (depends on what they set in the UEFI none configurable settings)

setting the UEFI bios to CMS/Legacy mode Will be enough to prevent windows from enabled e-drive support (having TPM or not does not seem to be a requirement for e-drive support, but having it set to UEFI boot only is)

e-drive support can work even on windows 10 home (but its a lot rare that i have seen that typically only seen it on tablets win10 systems, or systems with TPM chip)

you need to plug the SSD into another system to do a PSID revert to reset the drive or you may not be able to use it in any system until that has been done

Bit Baby

Anyone solved this issue? Turns out I have the exact same laptop and bought the exact same drive a week and a half ago, sure wish I had read this forum first. It sounds like the Kingston SSD worked for you though? If that's the case I may simply return the crucial one to amazon and say it didn't work even though it supposed to be 100% compatible according to Crucial's website.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

If we're thinking eDrive is the problem then Windows 7 was the last OS not to support eDrive.  You should also be able to prevent its usage by setting an ATA password in the BIOS prior to Windows install.  If you've already installed Windows, the only way to disable eDrive on the drive would be to do a PSID Revert to restore the drive to factory defaults.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@targetbsp wrote:

You should also be able to prevent its usage by setting an ATA password in the BIOS prior to Windows install.

Other workarounds here.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Thanks!  I was trying to google for how to prevent it during setup this morning before work without success (I guess it was the registry hack I was thinking of) 

Want to be a Super User?