MX500 not initially detected but then boots after just entering then exiting BIOS diag

Bit Baby

MX500 not initially detected but then boots after just entering then exiting BIOS diag

HP EliteBook 840 G1

Upgraded from MX300 to MX500 using Acronis to clone

At startup system will not boot (Boot device not found) then attempts PXE boot

Hit ESC key to terminate

System automatically restarts

BIOS detects "HP_Tools" partition exists and starts diag tools from that partition

immediately just exit out of diag utility

System automatically restarts

System boots into Windows 10 and every thing runs as normal.

Why? Why didn't it find it the first time?

MX300 worked fine, MX500 need to go thru above to get it to boot.

Tags (2)
3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: MX500 not initially detected but then boots after just entering then exiting BIOS diag

@gsander751

Hello

Thanks for your message and sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Can you please confirm if this only happened the very first time you used the MX500 and has since been fine, or does it happen every time you boot your computer? If the latter, does the issue happen after just a restart or a cold start, or both?

Many thanks

Crucial_NG, Crucial Moderator, UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Re: MX500 not initially detected but then boots after just entering then exiting BIOS diag

Happens 98% of the time. On rare occasions it will boot normally.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Try a Startup Repair option from the Windows Advanced Startup menu or the Windows installer.

Also check your BIOS/UEFI settings to see if there may be more than one UEFI boot entry for Windows which might be interfering or perhaps the order of the entries is incorrect (Windows Startup Repair in theory should fix this, but UEFI systems are sometimes poorly implemented).   You may need to delete all the entries and try adding the boot entry back in.   I would have the Windows installer handy in case this doesn't work so you can run the Startup Repair option from it to recreate the UEFI boot entry.   And make sure you data is backed up so you don't have to jump through hoops to recover it if the system won't boot.