MX500 stopped working after less than 12 hours of use as internal drive for MacBook Pro mid 2012

try
Kilobyte Kid

MX500 stopped working after less than 12 hours of use as internal drive for MacBook Pro mid 2012

Hi there,

I bought a new crucial MX500 1 TB ssd from a local store yesterday, hoping to upgrade HDD of my MacBook pro (mid 2012 - intel - i7 core 2.9 Ghz). Initially everything seemed to go as per plan. I cloned my existing time machine backup on the new drive using a SATA to USB 3 enclosure (bought at the same time from the store). I replaced my existing HDD with the new one, started the machine and evrything was normal.I noticed markedly improved performance with the new drive. In fact I was so happy using it for a couple of hours or so that I decided that its time to upgrade my OS from Sierra to high sierra. I was holding off on the upgrade as everywhere in online forums I could see that the biggest change in high sierra - the new file system - is really for SSD installed macs. Now that I had SSD installed, and it was working fine, I decided to upgrade my OS version to high sierra. Upgrade went fine and after upgrade, I actually spent another coupe of hours or so with the computer, opening most comppon apps (ibooks, itunes, outlook (even upgraded it as well), calendar, notes, contacts, messages etc. ), basically all the apps I use on daily basis. It all worked well. I was really really happy with the performance of the machine. And then, I locked the screen, went to sleep only to be woken up by the sound of fan of my macbook, working overtime. I pressed one of the keys of keyboard and was greeted with a white screen with a folder icon flashing with '?' symbol in it. Last time it had happened, 3 years ago, my HDD of mac was replaced! I forced shutdown using power button and restarted the machine, it in fact restarted. I went back to sleep again and was again woken up by, this time by the mac startup sound - apparently the mac decided to restart on its own. Again, I saw that flashing folder icon with '?' in it. This time I shutdown the machine using power button and went back to sleep. In the morning, I tried everything to boot the machine but it didnt. Used internet recover mode to start but by the time I reached the screen to select destination drive to install Mac OS, there was no drive shown, mac didnt recognise the mx500 ssd installed in it! Finally, I removed the mx500, reinstalled the old drive and have started the mac (which is how I am writing this post). 

So, in summary, mx500 1TB was successfully installed, worked fine for a few hours, no longer recognised even by disk utility when back into SATA to USB enclosure. Can anyone please help if faced with similar situation in past or have any advice anyway? Is there anyway to salvage the drive or is it completely gone now? And if its gone then can I invoke the crucial warranty to get a replacement?

Thanks in advance, any advise is appreciated.

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500 stopped working after less than 12 hours of use as internal drive for MacBook Pro mid 2012

It sounds like the hard drive cable in your laptop needs replaced.   If this is a 13" (mid 2012) model, the hard drive cables were notorious for failing, so much so Apple actually had a free replacement program which expires three years from date of purchase.    To confirm the cable is the problem, try Option Booting your MBPro with the SSD connected with your USB enclosure.   Your old version of OSX will not see the new SSD due to the use of APFS so booting externally is your best option.     FYI, some USB enclosures may not always be compatible, but if it does work you know for sure.

try
Kilobyte Kid

Re: MX500 stopped working after less than 12 hours of use as internal drive for MacBook Pro mid 2012

Thanks HWTech for reading my post and responding. 

I have tried option booting while the ssd is in the SATA to USB enclosure but it didnt work; the drive is not seen by the startup manager. I was doing this for the power cycle suggestion crucial has mentioned as one if the solutions at some other place. No matter how much powr cycling I do, how many times I option boot my computer, its just dead! Given the same ssd worked with the existing cable for a number of hours and worked great, and now its not working neither with that internal macbook cable nor with an USB cable when back in SATA to USB encloure, I am not sure if the internal SATA to USB cable is to fault though Smiley Sad Besides, my old HDD was replaced 3 years ago by apple store. I am hoping they would have replaced the cable then if that was the apple policy (not that they told me anything about it. I had a 750 GB HDD that the laptop came with, while replacing it, I had upgraded it to 1TB).

JEDEC Jedi

The hard drive cable replacement came in relatively late so I'm not sure it was active at the time of your repair and it was only for the 13" model.   If you disconnect the cable from the Logic Board, and look on the back side the "part number" of the cable should be 821-00698-A (at least this is on the official ones I have).   It might be a good idea to disconnect it from the Logic Board anyway, blow some compressed air on the connectors (cable & MLB) and reseat it.    These cables are not expensive so I would try to find a new one from a reputable source.

If you boot using Internet Recovery, can you see the MX500 with the USB enclosure?  If so, see if you can run Disk First Aid on it using Disk Utility.

There is also the possibility that APFS is not playing well with the MX500.  You could try reinstalling OSX 10.13 with APFS disabled.   You need to edit the installer to force it to use HFS+ (journaled).   If you try downloading and running the installer from your hard drive with the older version of OSX, you should be able to point the installer to your external MX500 assuming the drive is physically seen.

If you connect the MX500 using your USB enclosure, you can try issuing the following command from the Terminal app to see if the drive is physcially seen by the system:

diskutil   list

This will list all physical & logical volumes detected by the system.   Disk0 & 1 will most likely be your internal drive & mounted volume.   Assuming no other connected/mounted drives, CDs, iOS devices or .dmgs,    "disk2" will most likely be your MX500 and you should be able to tell by the size or possibly volume name.

If you have another computer you could try installing it there to see if the drive is physically seen using the above method to detect the drive or using Disk Management if it is a Windows system.

try
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks again HWTech for further suggestions.

SSD does not appear no matter what, not when inside the mac, not when out in USB enclosure, not when the la[top has started in normal mode, not in recover mode using the recovery partition on my old HDD, not in recovery mode using internet recovery, not in terminal app when listing all disks using diskutil command. It just has become a brick. I am not sure I can fault the data cable. After all, its the same data cable that I used to install Mac OS (2 versions os it!) on this same ssd.

Maybe APFS doesnt like the ssd but I can do anything about it only if the ssd shows up anywhere, it just doesnt, no matter what.

I connected it to a windows machine where in disk management I think it shows up as an uninialise disk but any attempt to initialise/format results in a I/O error.

Buying this ssd was one of the biggest mistakes I have made in terms of buying any tech ever. I installed crucial scanner app before buying the ssd and the scan result came all greeen, mx500 100% (no less!) supported on my model of Mac. Bought it, sure it was supported but the scan result had not told me that it will last only few hours! Now I am even concerned in returning the device, it stil has all my data. I had set up a password for boot but the device is not encrypted. Not sure hog big a risk is it to return the ssd in case someone at crucial retrive the data (somehow, I dont know how) instead of promptly destroying the ssd after doing some root cause analysis.

Thanks for your suggestions though HWTech; really appreciate it.

Crucial Employee

@try sorry to hear about all the issues you are having. You could attempt a diskpart clean on the drive through Windows, since you can still see it in disk management, this might recover the drive.

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Reset-Your-SSD-With-Windows-DiskPart/ta-p/176654

If you can perform a clean, refresh disk management then it should ask you to initialize the drive, if you can do this, then attempt to format the drive. If the drive can be cleaned and formatted, it should functionally be fine. I would move towards connecting it to your MBP via the USB enclosure, then do a time machine restore or Internet recovery, then test the functionality before installing it back internally in the MBP.

If you purchased the drive directly from us please be sure to setup a return for refund if that's the route you wish to go, if you're outside the 45 day return period simply email or call us up directly so we can get that setup for you.

1-800-336-8896
crucial.service@micron.com

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
try
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the suggestion Benny. I tried that, clean command ran successfully but couldnt proceed from there. From disk management, attempt to initialize resulted in error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". Tried initializing from the diskpart itself using convert mbr and convert gpt but got the same error. 

I bought the disk from a local store; I'll contact them now as I have exhausted all options from my end to revive the disk.

Thanks for all the support. If there is anything else I can do that can potentially help revive the disk, please do let me know.

JEDEC Jedi

You could try updating the firmware on the SSD as an update was just released a few days ago.  It would be easiest to update it using your Windows PC (it needs to be installed internally or with eSATA).   With Windows you can either install Crucial Storage Executive to assist with the firmware update or you can download an .iso updater which can be burned to CD (it is also possible to "burn" it to a USB drive, but I'm not sure it is possible to do this using Windows).