MX500GB low benchmark scores

DC5
Kilobyte Kid

MX500GB low benchmark scores

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Crucial MX500 500GB on amazon, and once I installed the OS on it and checked its performance with Crystaldiskmark, I was astonished to see very slow speeds, on most of the benchmarks... I also saw the drive already had a few writes on it, and my doubt is if I got a real, but used and somewhat faulty drive, or a fake one.
I want to point out a few things:
1) yes I do know benchmarking a OS drive isn't optimal.
2)my pc config is the following:

• CPU Intel i5 7500
  • MB Asrock H270 PRO4
  • RAM Crucial BLS2C4G4D240F
  • SATA0 Crucial MX500 500GB (OS Win 10 Pro 64bit)
  • SATA1 Crucial MX300 525GB (OS Linux Mint 19.1 64bit)
  • SATA2 Toshiba DT01ACA200
  • SATA3 DVD-RW LG GH22

3)in this very same PC sata0 and sata1 firstly were a crucial BX200 240GB and a WD HDD for linux, then changed the BX200 for a Crucial MX300 525GB (still kept the WD black for linux and gave the BX200 to my sister), and now there's Crucial MX500 500GB for Win10Pro and a Crucial MX525GB for linux mint 19.1.... I have already checked 3 different SSDs in my system, and always compared their bench result to the ones in online reviews when they were new,,, Both the BX200 and the MX300 had fairly high scores, sometimes even higher than the ones in the review unit (anyway always within a margin of error <10%, and this despite the fact that they were tested as OS drives).

Now, going back to the issue at hand, this drive has average sequential and 4K-Q8T8 scores, sub par 4K-Q1T1 scores, and horrible 4K-Q32T1 scores (less than half that of other MX500 500GB). I will try to post a screenshot soon, but now I'm dead tired after 11 hours of work.

I want to point out again that the drive was definitely used by someone before, as it had some writes in it and about 30/40 each for power on hours and power cycle counts. The questions are:
Is it also fake?
How can I verify it is not fake?
If it's not fake, what's the reason for such low speeds?

thank you for your help

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: MX500GB low benchmark scores

When you post screenshots, please include the SMART Attributes for the SSD.  What is the version of the firmware on the SSD?

Crucial Employee

Thank you for emailing us today. The issue you having could be linked to the current SATA driver used by the system and you will need to swap this out. Here are the steps you would need to take to swap out the SATA driver for your system.

To replace possibly malfunctioning manufacturer-specific Serial ATA drivers or a non-compatible SATA Driver we need to replace it with either Microsoft's MSAHCI or Manufactures SATA drivers which may have better functionality/compatibility in your system, use the following guide:

1. Enter Device Manager in Windows via either your Control Panel or Computer Management.
  2. You should see a category of "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller’s driver". Click the 'plus' symbol to the left of this line to expand that category.
  3. Confirm which SATA driver is currently being used by the system. IF you see the manufacturer drivers you will need to swap for the Windows standard driver.

If the Standard AHCI driver is already in place you will need to get the manufactures driver from the system manufactures website.

1. If the manufactures driver is installed then you need to right click, select 'Update driver software.
  2. Then you need select browse my system.
  3. Then select pick from list of drivers.
  4. Select the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller"
  5. Then click next and the system will reboot and the driver will be swapped and you can go back in there to confirm that.

If you have the standard AHCI SATA drivers installed, then you will need to go to the system manufactures website and download the latest SATA driver. If they do not have one you can go to either Intel’s website for the latest AHCI drivers.

Crucial_AgentC, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
DC5
Kilobyte Kid

I will post all results, pre and post, after I do another attempt, I will format the mx300, install win10 there, format the mx500 and then I will try to benchmark the mx500 as a non-os disk.
Forgot to add the MX500 already had the latest firmware.

JEDEC Jedi

Please perform a Secure Erase on the MX500 to reset it to factory defaults and to restore any lost performance.  You can do this with Crucial Storage Executive.

DC5
Kilobyte Kid

I performed the secure erase, not from the crucial suite though, I preferred to use a live linux distro (so that I could do it on both of my drives at the same time), and IT WORKED!

here are the scores pre and post secure erasing the drive.

TY

MX500_OS_Crystaldiskmark01.PNGMX500_=S_02_post secure erase.PNG

Highlighted
Crucial Employee

There are so many variables that can affect 4k performance it's hard to know exactly where to start from. All the other speeds look perfectly fine.

As you said 4k can be changed by running on the OS drive, also the chipset you're using, SATA mode, chipset drivers. You can start with making sure you're using standard AHCI drivers, and ensuring your BIOS is set to AHCI mode.

https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Replacing-Manufacturer-AHCI-drivers-with-standard-Microso...

Otherwise test the drive in a different computer, if you only get low 4k results in this computer you know it has something to do with the chipset/drive combo, and it might be worth giving the board manufacturer a call.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?