Momentum Cache memory leak

Kilobyte Kid

Momentum Cache memory leak

I'm running Windows 10 64bit and have been having problems with a memory leak for quite awhile now. I've tried to learn how to find memory leaks and have used process explorer, poolmon, and WPA and either I couldn't see what was causing this or I didn't understand how to fully use some these tools. Last week I updated the drivers for my AHCI controller and when I did it disabled Momentum Cache, but I didn't notice it right away. I used my computer for a couple of hours and then noticed my memory usage had not rose to levels that it normally does after some use. I then discovered that Momentum Cache was inactive, so I disable it rebooted and then re-enabled it and rebooted again to get it going. After using my computer for awhile I noticed my memory usage was over 60% and that's when I realized Momentum Cache is likely causing this leak. To confirm it I did a clean boot with only Malwarebytes starting and everything else disabled and did some web surfing for a little while. Memory usage was climbing like it normally does so I closed my web browser and it went down slightly, but not very much at all. As a test I went into services and stopped Micron SSD Cache Monitor and as soon as it stopped my memory usage droped to under 30%. I then restarted the Cache Monitor service and surfed the web for a bit and as usual the memory usage started to climb again. Stopping the service again returned my memory usage to less than 30%. For some reason all of the process captures that I did and process explorer don't show this high memory usage when it happens, but I'm fairly confident that using Momentum Cache is causing this leak. I searched through the forums and only found one other comment mentioning a memory leak so I can't help but wonder myself and this one other person are only ones having this issue and was hoping that someone might have a fix.

9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Momentum Cache memory leak

Are you aware that momemntum cache is a RAM caching tool?  Its job is to munch all of your RAM as you use the system... Smiley Happy

The important thing is that it should be willing to give it up again when needed...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Yes, I'm aware that Momentum Cache is a RAM cahe tool and I'm willing to admit that I'm not very knowlegeable on what is or isn't a memory leak, but I'm trying to learn. Maybe I should have phrased it as Momentum Cache is not releasing memory back to the system instead of memory leak. I do know that without rebooting my computer or restarting the Micron SSD Cache service the memory used by Momentum Cache is not being released back to the system as I think it should be. Do you or anyone else know of a possible resolution to this issue other disabling Momentum Cache or restarting the service?

JEDEC Jedi

It shouldn't be releasing RAM back to the system unless anything else needed the RAM.  It would make it useless as a cache if it did so. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

So, it's supossed to hold the RAM until my system becomes sluggish and almost unresponsive and then still not release it back to the system? From what I've read it scales to the amount of memory in the system up to 32 GB, so unless I increase my memory over that amount it's going to continue to cause the same problem. I've seen my memory usage go up to well over 80% and at that point the system is simply frustrating and hard to use until I either restart it or the Micron Cache service. I didn't major in computer science, but that doesn't sound like a good programming to me. I'm a little confused by your second reply because in your first reponse you said it should release the memory when needed, so when the RAM usage exceeds 80% and the system becomes sluggish then it would seem that Momentum Cache would release some because the system obviously needs it back, and that isn't happening. I'm going to have to quit using it because I'm tired of constantly having monitor the RAM usage and restart the service or my system 5 or 6 times a day. My whole point is that I don't think it's releasing the memory when needed and that I don't think it's working like the information states that it should be. I've been a Micron and Crucial fan for a long time now, but this may change that. I don't mean any disrespect, but do you work for Crucial?

JEDEC Jedi

@RedDog wrote:

I'm a little confused by your second reply because in your first reponse you said it should release the memory when needed, I don't mean any disrespect, but do you work for Crucial?

In both my responses I said it should release ram back to the system when needed?

And nope I don't work for crucial.

The point of a drive cache is to keep previously used data in RAM (because RAM is fast) and unused RAM is completely wasted.  So when you read file A from the disk, you keep it in RAM in case you later need file A again.  If you've previously cleared file A out of RAM because the RAM was needed for some other purpose then tough - you'll just have to read A again.  Likewise if you've done other subsequent reads and A has been replaced by more useful cache data (say file B is been read over and over again) then tought, you'll need to re-read A.

My argument is that you shouldn't kick A out of the cache if you have no need to.  That makes the cache pointless and you may as well just switch it off if you hold the view that it shouldn't be using your RAM.

Incidentally, this is why everyone thought Vista has a memory hog.  Really the whole thing was just a misconception.  It was just the first Windows to show the RAM being used by the drive cache rather than showing that as free RAM (as mentioned above free RAM is completely pointless if you have any other vague use you can put it to).  But it made it look like Vista was using all your free RAM and leaving nothing left for anything else.

For what it's worth, I don't use Momentum personally.  I'm perfectly content with the speed of the SSD and Windows own disk caching.  I'm certainly not arguing in favour of Momentum's usage.  I'm just arguing that it makes no sense to argue that a RAM cache shouldn't be using RAM.

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@targetbsp wrote:

I'm perfectly content with the speed of the SSD and Windows own disk caching. 

Actually, forget my crash course in file caching.  The Windows disk cache is still what's used for file reads.  Momentum only caches writes:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/ssd%40tkb/article-id/297

It should also only use a maximum of 4GB or 25% of your RAM if that article is current.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Your first response was "it should be willing to give it up again when needed" and your second was "It shouldn't be releasing RAM back to the system unless anything else needed the RAM", so yes they are of similar response.

Thank you for you description of what a drive cache is, but that is not what I'm questioning. I knew before I ever used Momentum Cache that it uses RAM for cache and that in itself is not the issue for me. My argument is not that Momentum Cache is using any RAM, but that it is using too much RAM and then not releasing some of that back for other uses(particularly for system resources) as it states that it should. Typically without Momentum Cache enabled, my system starts with 21 or 22% RAM usage. With Momentum Cache enabled it starts with about 31% in use and based on the description that I've read that seems logical. What doesn't seem logical to me is that it keeps munching my RAM to the point that my computer is basically unusable. In the FAQ's it states that  "Momentum Cache will use up to 25% of available system memory, though no more than 4GB". Based on that statement it seems that something is not working correctly on my computer. If my sytem is at 80% RAM usage and I restart the Micron SSD Cache service and it drops to 32% usage that seems to indicate that Momentum Cache is potentially using 48% of available system memory. This is quite a bit more than the 25% it mentions in the FAQ statement. It appears that on my sytem it just keeps munching RAM until the system freezes, I restart the service, or restart my computer.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

"Are you aware that momemntum cache is a RAM caching tool?  Its job is to munch all of your RAM as you use the system... Smiley Happy"

No, its only meant to use 1/4 of available ram up to a max of 4GB

JEDEC Jedi

@squall_leonhart wrote:

"Are you aware that momemntum cache is a RAM caching tool?  Its job is to munch all of your RAM as you use the system... Smiley Happy"

No, its only meant to use 1/4 of available ram up to a max of 4GB

See later replies in the thread. Smiley Wink

Want to be a Super User?