Mx500 1TB M.2 SSD Freezes when copying or installing large files

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Mx500 1TB M.2 SSD Freezes when copying or installing large files

I tried installing Ubuntu halfway through the installation I got a error message stating excuting grub install failed fatal error
Crucial Employee

Hey @ClintonKing187,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your MX500. Thank you @HWTech for offering suggestions, all of those are very valid in troubleshooting this issue. Considering Ubuntu is not installing and errors out, along with all of the other issues you are having, there is one thing I would add that may help resolve the issue. I would perform a full Check Disk with Repair, so that any bad sectors/blocks can get mapped out and the drive can use the unused reserved blocks to replace them. I have included the instructions for performing this in Windows 10.

1.) Right-click on the Start button and select either 'Command Prompt (Admin)' or 'Windows PowerShell (Admin)'

2.) In the Command Prompt (or PowerShell) window, type in 'CHKDSK X: /R'   (Replace 'X' with whatever drive letter you have assigned to the MX500) and hit Enter.

Since the MX500 is not the primary boot drive, the system will not need to reboot in order for the Check Disk to proceed. Once the Check Disk is done, you should be able to see if there are any errors or failures that it found. After this, just restart the computer and then try transferring files onto the SSD to see if you are having the same problems. 

Alternatively, you can try doing the Ubuntu installation again, to see if it is able to complete successfully. 

If you are still having problems, you can also check the SMART attributes of the drive in the Storage Executive software. This will show any potential hardware failures that are being reported by the SSD controller, which may help us figure out what the issue is. If you can attach a screenshot of the SMART data, we can review it and see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

Crucial_Jones, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

In addition to the advice of @Crucial_Jones, if you completely removed the original partitions on the SSD for the Linux experiment instead of just resizing & adding partitions, then I would suggest  performing a Secure Erase on the drive as that will reset it to factory defaults just in case something weird happened and try again.

Usually the default settings for an Ubuntu install are satisfactory to get a booting system.  Did you allow Ubuntu to create new partitions or did you try to install onto the current NTFS partition?  If you installed onto NTFS, this could be the source of the GRUB error or there is a possibility Ubuntu had trouble updating the motherboards NVRAM for the Ubuntu UEFI boot entry.  If you didn't allow Ubunut to use the empty space of the drive to automatically create its own partitions, then maybe it didn't have the necessary ESP partition required for booting.  Of course this could be another symptom of the problem you've had.  If these last tips don't help you, then I would RMA the drive (after a Secure Erase so you don't leave any data on the drive).  Posting the SMART Attributes using Crucial Storage Executive or GSmartControl may be useful to see if the SSD has reported any errors.

Please keep us updated on your progress and good luck.

Kilobyte Kid

I Had to reformat the drive and perform CHKDSK utiltity which found no errors.

I still cant copy any large files or install any large applications however i tried to install a large demo using steam on the SSD and it worked

Another thing that i had noticed whenever i tried to copy large files and the ssd would freeze when i restart the pc it is undetectable until i have to remove it from the M.2 slot and reinsert it for the PC to detect it.

Here is the S.M.A.R.T report after the format:

1Raw Read Error Rate85Errors/Page
5Reallocated NAND Block Count42NAND Blocks
9Power On Hours Count101Hours
12Power Cycle Count74Power Cycles
171Program Fail Count0NAND Page Program Failures
172Erase Fail Count0NAND Block Erase Failures
173Block Wear-Leveling Count3Erases
174Unexpected Power Loss Count53Unexpected Power Loss events
180Unused Reserved Block Count39Blocks
183SATA Interface Downshift0Downshifts
184Error Correction Count0Correction Events
187Reported Uncorrectable Errors0ECC Correction Failures
194Enclosure Temperature46Current Temperature (C)
 76Highest Lifetime Temperature (C)
196Reallocation Event Count42Events
197Current Pending ECC Count0ECC Counts
198SMART Off-line Scan Uncorrectable Errors28Errors
199Ultra-DMA CRC Error Count1Errors
202Percentage Lifetime Remaining100% Lifetime Remaining
206Write Error Rate0Program Fails/MB
210RAIN Successful Recovery Page Count1TUs successfully recovered by RAIN
246Cumulative Host Sectors Written1576470546512 Byte Sectors
247Host Program Page Count25093652NAND Page
248FTL Program Page Count9112447NAND Page

Kilobyte Kid

I tried reinstalling Ubuntu this time it gets right to the end of the installation and crashes the system log says there is a issue with my disk that I am using
JEDEC Jedi

It looks like your SSD has 42 Reallocated Blocks and 1 Ultra DMA CRC error.  Plus the temperature was up to 76C which would have throttled some of the I/O.   With the issues you've experienced & the overheating, the bad blocks and the inability to finish the Ubuntu install, I would suggest getting an RMA on the drive.  

Kilobyte Kid

How much would that cost to me to RMA the SSD and how do I go about getting a RMA
JEDEC Jedi

The process may depend upon your region and how the drive was purchased, but it should not cost you anything more than the shipping fee & packaging materials to send the drive to Crucial.  A normal RMA process will have you send the drive to them and they will then ship you a replacement.  If you would like to do an Advanced Exchange, then you will need to provide a credit card so Crucial can charge you for the replacement drive if the defective one is not returned which is standard procedure for advanced exchanges.  

Click on the Customer Support link in my signature and then select your region.  There should be "Returns" section with information for your region or for starting the RMA process yourself (if available).  Of course you can always call or chat with Crucial Support to have them assist you with the process.   

Kilobyte Kid

Gents my region is not available as I live in South Africa should I choose the nearest region to me then?
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

@ClintonKing187 wrote:
Gents my region is not available as I live in South Africa should I choose the nearest region to me then?

I'm not sure what the best way is for you to process the return, so I'm including @Crucial_Jones on this reply so they can advise you on the return process for South Africa.