Mx500 1TB M.2 SSD Freezes when copying or installing large files

Kilobyte Kid

Mx500 1TB M.2 SSD Freezes when copying or installing large files

Hi I bought a brand new Mx500 1tb m.2 whenever I try to copy large files or install large games the disk usage goes to 100% and it freezes

PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 1300x
Cosair 16GB Vengeance RGB ram
Nvidia GTX 970
Antec 700w 80 plus gold PSU
Asus B350-F R.O.G motherboard
Primary SSD: Crucial MX100
22 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Mx500 1TB M.2 SSD Freezes when copying or installing large files

I believe we have the same problem. I suspect it is a firmware bug or faulty MX500 SSDs.

https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/MX500-M-2-SSD-crashes-during-heavy-load-Help/td-p/188126

Kilobyte Kid

It would be nice if we could get some help because I bought through Amazon and I'm from south africa so the shipping fees cost almost the same as the amount I paid for the hard drive so I'm stuck with it
Kilobyte Kid

Check if your SSD is overheating. Mine does and that's why it's freezing and crashing. Install some monitoring software that also has benchmark/stresstest function built in (HD Tune Pro, or AIDA64 is also good). Stress it for 15-20 minutes, if the temperature goes above 80°C then it's probably also the cause of the freeze for you. Mine crashes at ~85°C.

If that is the case (and since you can't really send it back), I would recommend ordering an m.2 heatsink from ebay. Search for "m.2 ssd heatsink". There are some very cheap ones that may do the trick for you. Order one that has a thermal pad, too.

I can't really install any good heatsink on my SSD since I have a laptop, and the space above it is very narrow, so my only option is to send it back.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the suggestion bro but it's not overheating so I'm just gonna chuck it out and never buy a another crucial product again really disappointing
JEDEC Jedi

@ClintonKing187  Make sure your motherboard firmware is up to date.  Also make sure your ASUS  SATA AHCI drivers are up to date.  If they are, then perhaps try using the generic Microsoft drivers instead.

Double check that no SATA devices are connected to the shared SATA ports as that could cause problems as well.

Are there any other SATA or AHCI settings available in your BIOS/UEFI settings?  Be careful as some changes may affect the ability to boot Windows.

Check to see if your MX500's firmware is up to date.

Kilobyte Kid

Make sure your motherboard firmware is up to date. Also make sure your ASUS SATA AHCI drivers are up to date. If they are, then perhaps try using the generic Microsoft drivers instead

Done that still no difference
Double check that no SATA devices are connected to the shared SATA ports as that could cause problems as well.

Done that as well and my 1st ssd is connected to sata1 port

Are there any other SATA or AHCI settings available in your BIOS/UEFI settings? Be careful as some changes may affect the ability to boot Windows.

Only options in my bios is to set it to AHCI or Raid nothing else

Check to see if your MX500's firmware is up to date.

Checked with storage executive and the application says I'm running the latest update
JEDEC Jedi

@ClintonKing187 Try booting from a Knoppix Linux USB drive to see if the same thing happens.  If it does not happen, then you know you have a Windows issue of some sort.  If Knoppix doesn't work correctly with your motherboard, then try the most recent Ubuntu Live USB.  I know Knoppix v.8.2 includes the necessary NTFS drivers to mount your SSD and I believe it's Linux Kernel is new enough to run your system.  I'm not sure if Ubuntu includes the NTFS drivers by default.

If this SSD is a boot drive, you need to make sure to do a full clean shutdown of Windows so the filesystem is clean and there is no active hibernation file.  With Win10 you need to hold the shift key while selecting Shutdown or turn off fast boot.

Please provide an update either way if you try this so it may help others and it will help the regulars here to assist others.

Good Luck.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi I tried to install Knoppix on the SSD it showed an error message while creating the overlay
Bread: cannot read the block (0): (I/O error)

So I'm guessing I am one of the unfortunate people that got a bad drive out of the box huh?
JEDEC Jedi

If you are going to install Linux directly to the SSD, then I would go with Ubuntu as it has the best out of box driver support for proprietary hardware.  While Knoppix can be installed to a drive, it really wasn't meant for it.  Think of Knoppix as the Swiss Army Knife of bootable USB drives, but it isn't really meant to be installed as a standard OS since Knoppix is a heavily customized Debian distribution combining very new & very old software together in a way that is not recommended, but it is good for testing & diagnosing systems & for retrieving data since it has so many tools built into it by default when booting it from USB.

I'm sorry for any confusion.