Need free space to complete the operation (But there is enough space)

Kilobyte Kid

Need free space to complete the operation (But there is enough space)

Hi. I have just bought a 250GB SSD (MX500) to replace my 250GB HDD.  I have the SSD connected to the laptop and have the "Acronis for Crucial" app in order to clone my HDD to the SSD.  But I'm having a problem. In the app, I've set the clone mode in the app to "Automatic".  My SSD is at present not initialised. Which ought to be OK.

My HDD is partitioned as follows, Numbers refere to used space in GB:

Primary - * (System Reserved)  0.04670

Primary - K (Windows10) 30.930

Logic - C (Windows7) 24.780

Logic - D  3.120

Logic - E  0.098

Logic - F 0.064

Logic - G 2.230

Logic - H 25.040

Logic - I 8.430

Logic - J 4.280

Total about 99GB of used space.

Because my aged ACER 5315 was not coping well with Windows10 I installed Windows7.  This is why you see two partitions named Windows7 and Windows10.  Note that Windows7 partition is a logical one. When I go through the process of cloning, I do see all of the partitons that the app recognises as needing to be copied. I decided not to exlude anything. I then saw what going to be put onto the destination drive and it showed 30.9 GB, When I went futher I got this message: "You need another 3,605, 029 TB of free disk space available on the target hard drive to complete the operation with the current filter, please exclude more files or folders, then try again". I also see another picture of the destination drive, the left green area is "Used space" and says 0.23TB, and to it's right, colured red is marked "Space to exlude" and shows 3,605, 028, 67 TB.

Can anyone please help me psyche out the problem? Thank you. Rich

2 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Need free space to complete the operation (But there is enough space)

Hi.  Actually, I read that I could use Macrium Reflect, so I used that app to clone my HDD.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Need free space to complete the operation (But there is enough space)

I was just about to suggest that. Smiley Very Happy  I used Apricorn the other day and somehow ended up with partitions totalling 6TB on my 2TB SSD!  Whereas Macrium did it correctly. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?