New MX500 2TB Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 6413

Bit Baby

New MX500 2TB Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 6413

Hello everyone, I have just purchased an MX500 2TB from a local hardware store which is supposed to be new.

Looking around with the Storage Executive I'm getting the following screen:

I'm mostly concerned about the Ultra DMA CRC Error Count... Why did this happen?

I have read that it can be due to bad cable or failing controller. What should I do?

I have literally just plugged it in for the first time. Thank you.

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: New MX500 2TB Ultra DMA CRC Error Count 6413

That's a lot of cable errors in a short space of time!  Unplug and reconnect the cable.  If the number increases, replace the sata data cable.  If it still increases, try a different sata port on the mainboard

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Thank you for your reply! The shop I have talked with told me that they have tried installing the ssd in a client's notebook but then decided not to so they sold it separately at a lower price. The store is rather legit. I think that the errors were there from their previous installation attempt. I have been refreshing the page for the past few minutes and I am not noticing any increase in error counts. 

The drive isn't even partitioned yet. I will try writing some GB of data and see if the error count changes. Is there anything I can do to make sure that the drive is safe before installing the OS?

JEDEC Jedi

There are no drive faults shown there.  An Ultra DMA error means the data that left the drive was not the same as that which arrived at the controller.  I can't remember precisely how this is done but I would imagine by a checksum.  So the drive controller gets data from its NAND and it's happy with it (evidenced by no related smart errors), adds a checksum to it and sends it to the host computer.  The host computer receives the data, calculates the checksum on the received data, realises this differs from the sent checksum so somewhere between the drive and the host controller (but not within the drive) - the data and/or checksum was corrupted requiring the data to be resent.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Oh, that's reassuring! Here is an updated screen after some hours of usage. 

Main differences between this one and the last one:

- Run sanitization from Storage Executive

- The SSD was partitioned as GPT

- The SSD was formatted as NTFS

- 15 GB of data was transfered on the SSD (mostly small files)

Stats difference:

MX5003.png

Can I consider the SSD safe for use?

JEDEC Jedi

Since the UDMA CRC errors have not increased, then you should be Ok knowing they are likely from a previous system.

The most important thing when receiving open hardware is to make sure it is clean which you did with the Sanitize function.   Assuming CSE Santize also changes the encryption key you should be Ok with security as well.