New P1 M.2 SSD not showing in File Explorer or as bootable drive

Bit Baby

New P1 M.2 SSD not showing in File Explorer or as bootable drive

I installed a P1 NVMe PCIe 2280 M.2 SSD into a new Dell Latitude 15 7570. I went through the cloning procedure in Acronis to copy my original HDD to the SSD so I can use the HD as storage. The SSD is not showing up in the Windows File Explorer. It is also not showing up as a bootable device in the BIOS. It does show up in Windows Disk Management. I tried making changes in the BIOS such as disabling PTT and allowing the legacy boot, but that didn't help either. Any ideas as to why the new drive would not be detected as a bootable drive after having cloned my exising boot device?

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: New P1 M.2 SSD not showing in File Explorer or as bootable drive

I wish I could help but I couldn't get cloning to my P1 to work myself!  The software I used (Macrium) went through the motions but what came out the other end was just an empty drive.   I just ended up clean installing Windows which went fine.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: New P1 M.2 SSD not showing in File Explorer or as bootable drive

Chances are a clone from a SATA hard drive to a NVMe SSD won't work because of drivers and/or the drives being on two physically different types of controllers.

Do you have any NVMe drivers to install for your system that might be keeping Windows File Explorer from mounting the drive?  Is your laptop's firmware up to date?

If you are booting from the original drive and trying to mount the cloned drive, then I have seen some systems have trouble accessing a cloned drive's partitions as the OS cannot always tell them apart.  I try never to do this anymore.  Otherwise I'm not sure why it shows up in Disk Management but not Windows Explorer.  Does Disk Management actually show the cloned partitions on the P1?

If I were you, I would remove the original hard drive and do a clean install of Windows on the P1.  I suggest using "diskpart clean" on it before installing Windows or a Sanitize (using Crucial Storage Executive).  I suggested removing the original drive so once you erase Windows from the original drive you don't affect the system's boot order or Windows labeling of the partitions.  I would also be concerned that Windows could use the original drive's boot partitions instead of creating the proper ones on your P1.   Use the Dell F12 boot menu to select your new P1 after you reinstall your original hard drive so as not to change any BIOS settings (or you can connect the drive using a USB adapter to transfer your files, then wiping it before reinstalling it). 

I would set the BIOS/UEFI settings to only allow UEFI booting before installing Windows on the P1. 

If Windows has trouble booting the clean install on the P1, then you may need to change the boot order entries in the BIOS/UEFI settings or remove the entry for the original drive.

I would check the original hard drive's SMART Attributes to make sure it does not have any reallocated sectors or events or other errors.  There are many apps to do this.  GSmartControl is a good free app which does not require installation as they provide a portable version.

After installing Windows, I believe there is a Migration function available within Windows, but I've never used it (just found it in Win7 the other day as I was looking through the Start Menu).  I'm not a Windows user, does Windows have other methods of "backing up" your data so you can import to a clean system?