New SSD, computer dies after a couple minutes

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

New SSD, computer dies after a couple minutes

I have a Dell Inspiron 5570. Windows 10, 64 bit. I'm replacing a mobile Seagate, 1 TB drive (model # 1rk172 036, specs here). I've upgraded it with an MX500 2.5 SSD (details here). This is a drive that crucial recommended for me. I went through the tutorials on the crucial site about installing the drive, I backed up my old D drive, installed the SSD, copied over the old files, and was done. I put the laptop back together again, it booted and was fine for a couple of minutes. And then it just died. No warning, nothing. It just went dead. 

Upon inspecting the event logs, the only thing it mentions relevant to the reboot is: The previous system shutdown at 7:20:37 PM on ‎2/‎2/‎2019 was unexpected.

The only suspicious thing I can find is the crucial SSD has an amperage requirement of 1.7A, whereas the old HD I had before was 1 A. However if this were a problem, then why would the crucial site recommend this drive for me? 

Once I remove the SSD and put the old HD back, everything functions normally. I'm posting this message from the laptop itself. If I swap to the SSD, it dies again after about a minute of uptime. Put the old drive back, and it stays functional just fine. 

It's got to be some kind of voltage or amperage issue. Clearly, this isn't caused by damage to the motherboard as the system works fine with the old drive but dies after a minute with the new.

Thoughts? Thanks!

8 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: New SSD, computer dies after a couple minutes

Try letting the laptop sit at the BIOS screen or boot menu to see if it still shuts down.  You can also try running the Dell Diagnostics (press F12 during POST) also to see if the system stays powered on.

The problem could be with the Interposer Hard Drive Cable having an issue.  The SSD is transmitting much more data than your original hard drive.  One possible idea is the cable needs to have some shielding around it (make sure it doesn't touch any circuitry) or it just may need to be replaced due to the different electrical requirements or it just has a defect which is only noticable with the SSD.

Be sure your Dell's firmware is up to date.  You may also want to see if the Dell SATA/AHCI drivers or Microsoft's drivers make a difference.

Do you have another system to test the SSD?  Or a USB cable/dock/enclsoure?

Kilobyte Kid

You said:

"Try letting the laptop sit at the BIOS screen or boot menu to see if it still shuts down. You can also try running the Dell Diagnostics (press F12 during POST) also to see if the system stays powered on."

So, I ran the tests and then left the computer on all night at the BIOS window, and it stayed on. I did this after updating the computer's BIOS. However, after booting into Windows, I get the same problem.

It's worth noting after this happens, and this has always been the case (I forgot to mention it), after it dies as I've described previously, I have to unplug the computer and let it sit for a minute or two BEFORE it will boot again. This is the case whether the SSD or original HD is inserted. If the original HD is installed, it never dies like this, so it will not fine the second, third, etc times after.

This is what's making me think it might be some voltage or temp regulator that's responsible? Maybe?

Thanks again.
Kilobyte Kid

..I'm sorry, I forgot to respond to your other comment about being able to test the drive: I don't have anything like this at home, but might at work. I will try tomorrow.

[EDIT] More Details: Sorry, I'm discovering things as I go here, and so I'm trying to keep everything listed for you to examine (and for others to see in case it happens to them). The following are things I've noticed and verified: 

1) With the SSD inserted, the storage executive software doesn't find the SSD. For example, if I launch the storage executive and try to scan my system for firmware updates, I get the following:

Capture.PNG

However, the drive is operational and I can read/write from/to it just fine. The drive is visible in device manager: 

Capture.PNG

2) The second piece of information is this: the system does NOT die on me so long as I disable the screen going blank whilst plugged in. In other words, at least thus far, the system has been up and working fine so long as it's in use; the moment the screen goes blank due to five minutes of inactivity, the system subsequently dies at described. I am going to test this for an hour, but thus far (about 30 minutes) this has been the case. 

I'm sorry to keep adding to this, but it's all information I'm discovering as I try to diagnose this. 

JEDEC Jedi

@kwende wrote:

The only suspicious thing I can find is the crucial SSD has an amperage requirement of 1.7A, whereas the old HD I had before was 1 A. However if this were a problem, then why would the crucial site recommend this drive for me? 

1.7A is way within spec for sata power.  Each single pin can carry 1.5A so you'd only need one and a bit pins to manage that much current.  Though we're likely only interested in the 5V pins for a 2.5" drive.  It seems unlikely your PSU's 5V line was within 0.7A of being overloaded before you swapped the HDD to an SSD.  If nothing else, Dell have a reputation for using decent PSU's that perform considerably better than equivalently rated no-name PSU's

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Standard_connector

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@kwende wrote:

2) The second piece of information is this: the system does NOT die on me so long as I disable the screen going blank whilst plugged in. In other words, at least thus far, the system has been up and working fine so long as it's in use; the moment the screen goes blank due to five minutes of inactivity, the system subsequently dies at described. I am going to test this for an hour, but thus far (about 30 minutes) this has been the case. 

Enable hot swap/plug for the sata port of the SSD in the BIOS if you have the option.

In advanced power settings under power options in control panel, set turn off hard disks to 0 minutes (to disable it)

If you're using Intel Rapid Storage, go to the Performance tab and disable Link Power Management.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Unfortunately it did die again, annoyingly, even with the screen blanking turned off. It does seem to take a LOT longer to exhibit the behavior with said feature off.

I will try what you suggest.

I tell ya, this is a frustrating experience, but th support thus far has outshined anybody else I've dealt with. Kudos all.
Kilobyte Kid

So, unfortunately, I'm unable to do as you suggest regarding the hot swap/plug; that option doesn't appear available to me in the BIOS. 

A couple more things to  add: 

1) Despite the machine not dying after running all night on the BIOS screen, booting into Windows in Safe Mode still results in the system dying. 
2) Upon inspecting the Dell's system log in the BIOS, I see an ASF2 Force Off is posted at the time of the system dying. I see another Crucial customer had the same problem, with the same drive. Unfortunately, no resolution seems to have been found for this person. 

I will take this laptop into work tomorrow and see if I can run further tests on the drive, but thus far, after two scans in the Dell BIOS and a couple attempts at overloading the D drive while the system was up, I'm not able to see any errors. Despite that, the system still randomly just dies. 

One final thing that hasn't been resolved too: the software manager supplied by Crucial still doesn't see my SSD. 

Kilobyte Kid

It's the drive. 

A friend of mine has a 500 GB drive (MX500, from crucial) which works just fine. The system has stayed up all afternoon. Swapping out the one terabyte drive, it dies after minutes of operation. Returning.