New SSD install, computer now freezing!

SOLVED
Bit Baby

New SSD install, computer now freezing!

Hi,

Recently upgraded to MX300. Whilst the benifits in perfomance are massive, the machine  now freezes on a regualr basis.

The laptop is a Sony VGN-AW31M. Older, but has a great screen and is only used for browsing and office stuff.

Any advice or trouble-shooting tip please?

Many thanks,
Martin

11 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: New SSD install, computer now freezing!

Did you clone your old install using the supplied Acronis?  If so, uninstall Acronis.  It can cause freezing on certain systems.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Thank you, have given it a go Smiley Happy

Kilobyte Kid

Check the SATA mode in your BIOS. An older laptop is probably set to IDE, when you should be using AHCI for a brand new SSD. They way to check this is under Device Manager > IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers > Standard IDE AHCI Controller. If it is set to IDE, that means Windows has already registered it as a controller interface. You cannot change it to AHCI on the fly- it will cause Windows to not be recognized by your BIOS. The way around it is to start Windows in Safe Mode, reboot in to your BIOS, switch to AHCI, then boot back to normal Windows. The way to verify completion is by checking Device Manager > IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers > Standard SATA AHCI Controller.

Bit Baby

@martink - how is your system running? Still hanging?

I just installed a MX300 in my Lenovo X250 laptop as an upgrade from the smaller stock Intel Pro 2500 drive. My system freezes was freezing  within minutes with all IO halting. I couldn't start nor stop processes. Not even ctrl-alt-del responds. If I get resource monitor running ahead of time I can see the drive is at 100% usage but transferring 0 bytes per second. It seems like the kind of hang I'd expect from a drive that's either failing or has a firmware bug.

System details:

Lenovo X250 BIOS 1.21

Crucial MX300 1050GB, firmware M0CR040 from factory

Windows 10 Creators Update aka 1703 (build 15063.0) that was just recently released

Using MSAHCI.sys, not IAStor

If I boot up and immediately go to control panel and use the "High Performance" profile, it seems to avoid the hang but it's going to kill my battery life.

Here's what I'm trying

- Uninstalling Acronis

- Updating to the first patch for Windows 10 1703 - KB4016240

Once those are done I'm going to switch back to balanced perf mode and see what happens. Very frustrating Smiley Sad

Bit Baby

I seem to be working fine now in balanced perf mode. The other threads on Windows 10 freezes seemed to point to uninstalling Acronis so I recommend trying that first.

Bit Baby

I used Acronis TrueImage to clone my drive to an MX300. After about 5 minutes, the MX300 disk shoots to 100% utilization in task manager and never recovers. Every application is completely unresponsive. The only way to recover is to hard shut down the computer, and uninstall Acronis TrueImage immediately.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

ironically, the WD version of true image has no such issues with the crucial ssds....

Bit Baby

I used USEase Todo Backup to clone my HDD and had the freeze issue (Disk 0 Active time = 100%). After a week of reading forums and trying all suggestions, I saw here that many prople solved the problem by unintalling Acronis. I uninstalled USEase, and the problem went away.

Bit Baby

I used USEase Todo Backup to clone my HDD, and I encountered the freeze issue (Disk 0 Active time = 100%). After a week of trying many suggestions on many forums, I read here about uninstalling Acronis. I uninstalled USease, and my laptop hasn't frozen since.