No operating system found after installing BX500 with fresh intall of Ubuntu

Kilobyte Kid

No operating system found after installing BX500 with fresh intall of Ubuntu

Hi there, 

Appoligies for the following multiple posts but the post keeps crashing, taking with it my long posts....

Issue:

Laptop not recognising OS after install. It reads with error message: "No operating system found"

Background:

Samsung x420 installed with lubuntu and a HDD upgraded with a BX500 and a fresh install of Ubuntu MATE (Ubuntu and Mint MATE also tried). 

After successful install on reboot the system says; "No operating system found".

Main Question: 

Is there some sort of formatting I need to do to the SSD before installing Ubuntu? 

Obviously if anyone has a solution or suggestion that would be amazing, but I'm trying to answer that ^ question first. 

6 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: No operating system found after installing BX500 with fresh intall of Ubuntu

More details of my laptop:

-Computer-
Processor : Genuine Intel(R) CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz
Memory : 8100MB (1908MB used)
Machine Type : Notebook
Operating System : Ubuntu 17.10
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Storage-
-SCSI Disks-
ATA SAMSUNG HM320II

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 4.13.0-46-generic (x86_64)
Version : #51-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 12 12:36:29 UTC 2018
C Library : GNU C Library / (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.26-0ubuntu2.1) 2.26
Distribution : Ubuntu 17.10

Kilobyte Kid

Re: No operating system found after installing BX500 with fresh intall of Ubuntu

I have tried booting changing the bios settings to both Legacy and EFI to make the install Legacy or EFI. Regardless of what I do or what partition settings I try I get the error messgage "no operating system installed".

Is there something I can do to resolve this, or format the SSD?

Alternatively if there is a good way to cloan I could settle for that.

I have also tried plugging the SSD into a desktop via a dock and the laptop and left it for >15mins per some of the common replies.

JEDEC Jedi

You shouldn't have to do anything special to the SSD to install & boot Ubuntu.   The only time you might need to erase the beginning of the drive is if you change the BIOS between Legacy <==> UEFI booting and reinstall.  The installer or other apps may not repartition the drive to the correct format necessary for booting.

Do you have a USB to SATA adapter?  If so you could pull the BX500 out and try to boot it and Ubuntu externally to eliminate any issue with the internal port/connector.  It is best to press the proper key during POST to bring up the BIOS/UEFI boot menu so you can select the external drive.

How many drives do you have installed on this laptop?  Is there more than one OS on the drive?  I'm not clear on the setup of drive(s) an OS('s).

What is the filesystem of your boot folder/partition and your root?

Was your laptop set to Legacy or UEFI booting when you installed Ubuntu?

As for cloning options it really depends on your exact setup.  I personally haven't cloned my Linux systems since I've needed to change too many things and needed to make things fit and don't always trust resizing partitons with good data.  I've manually created new partitions on the new drive and copied everything over or used the snapshot feature of BTRFS to push the snapshot to a new drive, then modified the UUID's  for fstab and reinstalled GRUB from a USB drive.   The BTRFS restore was from a failing drive and was the easiest transfer I ever did.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks a lot for the thorough reply. I've had a busy time recently so struggling to fit this in. I'll try and answer the questions as best I can (bearing in mind I am a basic user).

1. The installer or other apps may not repartition the drive to the correct format necessary for booting.

- assumed this and tried manual partitions via "something else", as well as formating what should have been the installation partition in gpart before then installing via something else.

2. Do you have a USB to SATA adapter?

- I have this:

ud027-6TeckNet UD027 USB3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station

http://www.tecknet.co.uk/ud027.html

I'll try booting it from the dock. To reconfirm, the original HDD still functions, so any port/connector issue would be the interface with the BX500.

3. How many drives do you have installed on this laptop? Is there more than one OS on the drive? I'm not clear on the setup of drive(s) an OS('s).

- Drives: x1 orginal factory HDD (which the BX500 is replacing as the sole drive).

- OS: Shipped with Win7, which was removed several years ago and replaced with Lubuntu as the sole OS. Currunt OS on the HDD is Lubuntu 17.10 running aok. My idea OS would be Ubuntu MATE, running as sole OS.

4. What is the filesystem of your boot folder/partition and your root?

- Will check and revert.

5. Was your laptop set to Legacy or UEFI booting when you installed Ubuntu?

- the lap appears to have Legacy and EFI, but does not mention UEFI anywhere.

- Both types of install have been tried on separate occasions (also with Mint MATE and regular Ubuntu).

- This was the first common issue/solution I came across, so after the first failed attempts I changed the setting in my BIOS which is described as;  “Select Enabled to attempt Legacy OS Boot only. Select Disabled to attempt EFI Bootfirst, Legacy OS Boot Second”. This can be enabled/disabled. When disabled the live version is booted in EFI and the install is in EFI - and vice versa when enabled.

- As well as installing, then booting correctly, I have also tried installing in both Legacy/EFI then changing the BIOS to the "wrong one" - i.e. installing in Legacy, then booting in EFI and vice versa.

6. As for cloning options it really depends on your exact setup....

- Cheers. I will do some searching around those terms. As mentioned I am a basic user.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

4. What is the filesystem of your boot folder/partition and your root?

- Will check and revert.

Current orginal HDD running Lubuntu which works aok:

-Mounted File Systems-
udev /dev 0.00 % (3.8 GiB of 3.8 GiB)
tmpfs /run 0.17 % (789.7 MiB of 791.1 MiB)
/dev/sda5 / 43.04 % (10.4 GiB of 18.2 GiB)
tmpfs /dev/shm 0.89 % (3.8 GiB of 3.9 GiB)
tmpfs /run/lock 0.08 % (5.0 MiB of 5.0 MiB)
tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup 0.00 % (3.9 GiB of 3.9 GiB)
/dev/loop0 /snap/core/5897 100.00 % (0.0 B of 88.2 MiB)
/dev/loop1 /snap/core/5742 100.00 % (0.0 B of 87.9 MiB)
/dev/loop2 /snap/core/5662 100.00 % (0.0 B of 87.9 MiB)
/dev/sda6 /home 99.87 % (82.1 MiB of 63.7 GiB)
tmpfs /run/user/1000 0.00 % (791.0 MiB of 791.1 MiB)

Do these images answer the question about partitions?

2018-12-05-145147_1366x768_scrot.png2018-12-05-145159_1366x768_scrot.png2018-12-05-145215_1366x768_scrot.png2018-12-05-145232_1366x768_scrot.png

JEDEC Jedi

From your screenshots, your drive is currently set up for Legacy MBR partitions & booting.   Set your BIOS/UEFI settings to Legacy/CSM, then boot from the Ubuntu installer.   I don't use Ubuntu, but I believe it may have a boot repair option.  If it does try it.  If not, you need to get to a recovery console or mode.   Then you need to chroot to the SSD and reinstall GRUB  "sudo  grub-install  /dev/sda".