No sound after upgrading to SSD ( Dell Studio XPS 8000 )

Kilobyte Kid

No sound after upgrading to SSD ( Dell Studio XPS 8000 )

Hi all,

1. Upgraded to SSD via Crucial.com / Cloned HHD / No fresh install on Windows 7 Home Premium

2. Works beautifully! What a result

3. But, sound doesn't work

4. Went to device manager / sound options not visible

Could anyone provide any suggestions? what is the original driver? Where do i download? Can i copy from original HHD? Speak soon

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: No sound after upgrading to SSD ( Dell Studio XPS 8000 )

Did you check manufacturer's support site? 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/studio-xps-8000/drivers

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hiya

I did the automatic diagnostic tool and it said the computer is ok!

Ah well...

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

There are several different methods in this thread which seem to work.

RBR
Kilobyte Kid

Had similar problem with a lower horse-power Dell laptop, but got by splendidly with advice read here to open device manager, check the audio driver item and activate/reinstall it ---! Basic-101 that worked!

What gets me CRUCIAL-ly curious though is: Why did it occur ONLY with the realtec on-board audio component?

I mean, the rest of the system and software cloned nicely even with the free "...for Crucial" bundled software except that one! Even my virtual XP cloned splendid-perfectly from the original HDD and runs without a glitch so far...?

Except THAT audio...!

I am sure that might perk up the ears of some of the Crucial Soft-ware engineers who place their ears to the forum-ground from time to time...?

Just to incorporate the desirable changes in the already pretty near-perfect cloning software to make their future (2019 and beyond) customers happier ...! :-)

JEDEC Jedi

@RBR wrote:

What gets me CRUCIAL-ly curious though is: Why did it occur ONLY with the realtec on-board audio component?

I mean, the rest of the system and software cloned nicely even with the free "...for Crucial" bundled software except that one! Even my virtual XP cloned splendid-perfectly from the original HDD and runs without a glitch so far...?

Except THAT audio...!

I am sure that might perk up the ears of some of the Crucial Soft-ware engineers who place their ears to the forum-ground from time to time...?

Just to incorporate the desirable changes in the already pretty near-perfect cloning software to make their future (2019 and beyond) customers happier ...! :-)

It would appear that particular driver installed some hidden marker on the drive, perhaps outside of the filesystem.  Or maybe the Realtec driver detected a change to your system and disabled itself much like Windows will do.  This is one of many reasons why I don't use Windows anymore.

Crucial licenses the cloning software from Acronis and there is no realistic way Acronis can do anything in either case.  Besides Realtec may change the undocumented behavior later and users will once again encounter issues with a clone.  Acronis created new partitions and copied all your files over to the new drive.  That is all I would expect from Acronis and Crucial.  The real issue is with Realtec.  

JEDEC Jedi

Pretty much any 'live' (whilst windows is running) backup/cloning process will be using Microsofts inbuilt Volume Shadow Copy service so Acronis probably couldn't do anything if they wanted to.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?