Noticeable Performance? BX200 vs BX500 vs MX500?

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Noticeable Performance? BX200 vs BX500 vs MX500?

BX200.png

WDBlue.pngWDGreen.pngSo I currently have a BX200 240GB installed on my computer. I was thinking about potentially buying another SSD and doing a fresh Windows 10 install on the one I buy, formatting the BX200 and using that for just games and programs... (at least all the ones that are allowed to be installed somewhere other than the C drive.)

However, I am at a minor dilemma of whether I should just purchase a like... Barracuda or something to replace my very old WD Green and Blue (old enough that the Blue only supports SATA II) since these drives are getting very cheap. I could have bought a TB drive a longtime ago, but I was always like... that's a lot of data to clone and/or back up and with the mindset that a TB drive is going to be less snappy than a 500GB or less.

I am currently only using 61GB of the BX200. So, I thought that since the 120GB version of the BX500 is under $30... using this as an OS drive would prove to be a good buy? But I am wondering if there will be any noticeable differences between this drive and the MX500? The specs are pretty much just a little different.

So would it be more value performance-wise to say go:

BX500 - OS

BX 200 - Program Files

Newer HD with SATA III - Data stuff.

Or go with the MX500 and keep the older hard drives? I was thinking I would definitely keep the WD Green 500GB for backups of OS and stuff, but only plug it in when needed.

My other thought is possibly, just quick formatting the BX200 and re-installing a fresh Windows 10... as I did upgrade from Windows 7 and was using SSD Tweaker. Starting to think that the Windows 7 settings that were "kept" whether registry and so forth, may be hampering response times of program loading, etc.

Programs definitely load up pretty quickly, but it seems to have lost that snappiness more so than it should currently.

System Specs:

ASUS M5A97

AMD FX-6100 (Overclocked and water cooled)

3x4GB HyperX DDR3-1600 CL10

1x8GB Corsair Vengance DDR3-1600 CL10 (timings adjusted to match HyperX)

GTX 970

Corsair CX500M

Or could the above RAM issue be a culprit? I had originally purchased 2x4GB HyperX and then 2 individual 4GB modules, to find out that one of the modules was bad.

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Noticeable Performance? BX200 vs BX500 vs MX500?

Personally I would not skimp on the boot drive since as you pointed out some programs don't like installing to other locations.  A 120GB boot drive won't give you much room for OS updates and extra programs since you don't want to fill the drive completely and the drive will provide less than 120GB usable space.

Have you gone through the Windows 10 settings and turned off all the extra unneccessary features?  I would make sure Windows is not downloading updates without your consent.  I've seen it start downloading updates even when I'm using the system.   On the Windows 10 Start menu, turn off & remove any unneccessary tiles as most of them were put there by MS for advertising purposes and they are consuming resources.  Be sure to check all these settings every Spring & Fall after the big updates are applied as MS likes to reset these settings.  In addition, check the settings on all your installed apps since many of them like to push notifications and perform automatic updates as well.  Minimize the number of items running automatically on boot & login.   I would turn off "Fast Boot" in Windows so you do a traditional full shutdown/restart.  You can force it manually by holding the Shift key while selecting Shutdown/Restart.

It might not hurt to run a chkdsk (no need for the bad block scan option with an SSD) and "sfc /scannow" on your boot drive to verify the integrity of the filesystem and the system files.

If you are not quite ready to reinstall yet, try letting the SSD's internal garbage collection routine run unhindered for a few hours.  You can do this by unmounting the SSD (for a non-boot drive) so the system won't access the SSD for a few hours or just applying power to the SSD (without the data cable plugged in), or leaving the system at the BIOS screen or BIOS boot menu.  If your SSD is almost filled, then empty the Trash or delete some unneeded items to free up space as it will make it easier for the SSD garbage collection to work.

Doing a clean install of Windows 10 is probably a smart move in your case.   If you do, I would suggest doing a Secure Erase on the SSD to reset it to factory defaults & performance. 

To maximize performance your memory should be matched pairs.  I'm not sure if there would be significant difference having the single 8GB module or not.  You could try removing it and one 4GB module to compare performance  assuming you can fit within 8GB of RAM for testing purposes.   You can try running Prime95 and Memtest86 to make sure your system is stable as currently configured.

The performance of all those SSDs should be about the same so build the system within your budget.  I have not seen any benchmarks or reviews for the BX500 series yet, but I would expect it to perform in line with the others.  The MX series brings you built-in hardware encryption which you probably will not be using in your setup.  Everyone will have a different opinion on how you should configure your system.  There is never a perfect system, just be happy & enjoy whatever you design.    Make sure to backup anything important on the SSD as I have seen them fail without warning where it may not be possible to recover data yourself.

Kilobyte Kid

Yeah... The only reason I am considering the 120GB boot drive is due to the fact that I am wanting to migrate all program files off the boot drive to a secondary SSD.

Right now, I am using about 58.5GB of my 240GB(222GB usable) drive and that's with Fortnite, Dream weaver, Illustrator, and Photoshop installed on my boot drive. However, moving to a 120GB boot drive I would migrate all those programs to the BX200 and use that as well for scratch disks and so forth.

Being a long time, HDD user so I try to keep boot drives/partitions limited to the bare necessities. While I load anything I don't really need extra performance from to a secondary partition or drive.

Thus the whole reason why I was thinking that adding a 120GB SSD as boot/Windows/drivers would be optimal and allow me to pull the program partition + all non-OS/system utilities/programs off the current HDD and onto the secondary SSD.

So doing a setup like this:
* New 120GB BX500 - Win10/drivers
** Older 240GB BX200 - Most used games/programs
*** New Barracuda or Firecuda 1/2TB - Partition 1: Less used programs/games; part2: user files; part3 & 4 something(?)
**** Old SATA2 WD Green 500GB: Media partitions (1 - music, 2 - videos) and Backups (software/OS).

120GB doesn't seem like a lot for OS but seems plentiful assuming that I keep all games and programs off it, right?

So, I guess, the real question is, if those are going to be about the same in real world performance, (I want to stick with Crucial mainly for ease of use/maintenance) is do you think getting rid of the SATA II drives altogether would offer better system responsiveness?

I know that back in the day we were able to run data drives as a don't boot up automatically which helped a lot, but have since forgotten how to set that up so that the drive is only running when you try to access it. Which could also be the reason why some things don't feel as snappy as they once were, because my OS is loading the older archaic drives every time it boots?
Kilobyte Kid

But I do like the methods on trash collection as TRIM seemed to be... Very quickly executed and seemed to offer little to nothing as far as any type of performance concern.

I will try the whole leaving the computer on BIOS when I go to sleep.
JEDEC Jedi

Your setup should be fine.   I would suggest you backup the User Folder on your boot drive since program preferences will be stored there and a lot of applications will insist on using it as a default location for saving files even after being told to save elsewhere.   If you are going to erase your current SSD, then I would suggest performing a Secure Erase on it to reset it to factory defaults which will maximize its performance again.

As for your SATA II drives, if they are in good working condition I think you will be fine.  Monitor the SMART Attributes for your hard drives (Reallocated Sectors/Events, Uncorrectable Errors, Pending Sectors) since the drives are older and these attributes can impact system performance.  If your motherboard has a second SATA controller for RAID, then maybe attaching those hard drives there will at least partially isolate them from your SSDs.

As for your other Windows questions & comments, I am unable to assist since I haven't really used Windows in any serious manner for many years.   I'm afraid I've lost some of my Windows skills as well and the systems today behave differently so some of my knowledge would be outdated anyway.

Another option to consider is building a new Ryzen system and converting your current system into a NAS for your media collection and backups.  If the NAS utilizes a software RAID with ZFS or BTRFS then it can correct any data corruption which may arise and allow for a single drive failure.  If using BTRFS in RAID1, use three drives since there is still an unfixed bug when a drive fails in a minimal RAID configuration.  Also don't go for any fancy BTRFS features (compression, dedup, defrag, etc.) as they are still not 100% and most likely contribute to the problems experienced by some people (snapshots and subvolumes are safe).   I would avoid the use of any hardware RAID as it locks you into the hardware making upgrades or data recovery difficult.  Even the motherboard RAID can be dangerous especially on Intel boards where they don't allow you to rebuild the RAID without the use of their driver which may become outdated at some point (no idea about AMD).   With a software RAID you can move the data drives to another system and you are good to go again.