P5N-E SLI and ACHI not supported

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

P5N-E SLI and ACHI not supported

My old second PC runs windows 10 the motherboard is an old P5N-E SLI and does not support AHCI. The Crucial SSD I installed works fine and the performance improvement is substantial.  Its still annoying that Crucial storage exec does not recognize the drive and I cant turn on Momentum Cache etc. Is there any way round this?

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: P5N-E SLI and ACHI not supported

I'm not aware that AHCI is a requirement for Storage Exec to work?  Instead, AHCI is for better performance.  In benchmarks you'd see this in the 4k queue tests.

If you have RAID support, that will typically include queuing support and can be enabled for one drive.  I had a system fo similar age that had RAID but not AHCI.  However, such a change is likely to require a Windows reinstall and probably less likley to make Storage Exec happy!

I don't know what the problem you're having with Storage Exec is but I would imagine it's a compatibility issue with nforce, since it's a long defunct chipset brand?

Incidentally, you haven't specified what model of SSD you fitted.  If it was an old one you were using to soup up this old machine note that very old models aren't supported by Storage Exec

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Crucial Employee

As @targetbsp has mentioned, it's not so much an issue of RAID, but the fact you're using a very old nvidia chipset with an operating system that is not supported by the board. Storage Executive does support RAID, but a RAID setup is simply another layer of complexity that could prevent devices from being detected. Normaly if SE doesn't see drives in RAID we would look at having you update your RAID drivers, but these drivers simply don't exist for your board and Win 10. The last OS that motherboard chipset had support for was Windows vista, so the fact that Windows 10 even has drivers that somehow can work on the nForce 430i is pretty amazing.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5NE_SLI/HelpDesk_Download/

The 430i should certainly support AHCI mode, but it's possibly you'll never get Windows 10 to work in AHCI on that board with the drive combo. You might get by using an older SSD or legacy HDD, since older controllers sometimes will play better when trying to squeeze by OS compatibility issues.

If you really want full functionality of Storage Executive you will need to purchase a new motherboard with proper chipset driver support for Windows 10, or look at possibly getting a PCIe SATA expansion card with Win 10 support. The second option is pretty inexpensive, you can find SATA cards for around $15, but you could run into compatibility issues again with the old board.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the info folks  the drive calls itself a CT480BX300SSD1 . As its my standby PC and too be honest works very well when needed so I will leave things alone HD Sentinel tells me its in good health.