Partclone, * WARNING: The disk has bad sectors . . . MX300 SSD

Kilobyte Kid

Partclone, * WARNING: The disk has bad sectors . . . MX300 SSD

Short version:

I have 3 of these (7.5 months old) - one is C:, and I make two clones . . . MX300 SSD . . . 256GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD)

I get this error when trying to clone (bottom screen shot):
5 screen shots . . . https://imgur.com/a/h8WJV

Then, I noticed Drive-0:
Drive-0 and Drive-1 . . . https://imgur.com/a/KDXYo

Quesion:  Could what's going on with Drive-0 be the reason that Clonezilla gives the error?  Can it be repaired?

Long version:

I have a question in to Clonezilla on this:

Clonezilla live Forum . . . Partclone, * WARNING: The disk has bad sectors. . . . https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Clonezilla_live/thread/c6e7c09b/

10 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Partclone, * WARNING: The disk has bad sectors . . . MX300 SSD

Yes, Drive 0 appears to have some issues and appears to be affecting the clone.   

To minimize further wear on Drive 0 and risking your data, I would suggest connecting the drive to another computer and manually copy your data off it.  Or you could boot off another drive (perhaps boot using Knoppix on a flash drive) and manually copy your files to another drive.   If you have trouble manually copying your data this way, then I would suggest using a program such as GNU ddrescue (a Linux command line application also on Knoppix) which will clone the drive and skip past the bad blocks on its first pass, then it will go back and try to recover the bad spots.  I've never used it on a bad SSD, so I'm not sure if it will recover as much from the damaged sections as it does from a hard drive.  I don't know if there is a Windows version or equivalent.  I would just do a clean install of the OS on a good SSD as I wouldn't want to trust a clone from a bad drive.

After retrieving your documents, I would then make sure the firmware is current on the SSD.   Then I would try doing a Sanitize/Secure Erase on it.   I've gotten our MX300s working again with this method although I wasn't aware of any read issues on the ones we have.  Our MX300s had similar SMART attribute values when using M0CR050 and earlier firmware.    If your SSD is under warranty, I would suggest contacting Crucial Support and see if they will replace it for you or at least alert them to the issue.

Please let us know how things work out.

Kilobyte Kid

My Seagate spindle drives were 8-10 years old, and still going.

I like SSD because it's quiet, but why do you think it's bad after only 7.5 months?

I have an M.2 slot.  I see there is the equivalent of the MX300 in NVMe . . . http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Crucial-MX300-275GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-SATA-M2-275GB/3642vsm15998...

Do you think NVMe would be more reliable?

To do a clone with NVMe . . . I think . . . Get one of these . . . It connects with SATA, and you put the NVMe on the other M.2 slot (right?) . . . https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817998236&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords...

Kilobyte Kid

Apparently NVMe is not much better:

. . . "I think the MX300 SSDs end up getting stuck and the Secure Erase resets them.  I'm hoping with the updated firmware the issue won't happen again.  Whether it will be good long term is something else." . . . http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/SSD-M-2-MX300-275BG-IS-DYING/td-p/182228

Can there be a firmware update that simply fixes this?

If I have to do a re-install, it will take me a week or two to get back to normal . . . which is why I've been keeping two clones . . .

It never occurred to me that my C: would be usable, but become un-cloneable . . . I went to clone it the other day to the two drives . . . and it ruined them.

Besides seeing the error message come up, is there a way to tell if my SSD has become un-cloneable?

If I had known my C: was un-cloneable, then I could have swapped in one of my clones, and returned the bad SSD (under warranty), that was "working."

JEDEC Jedi

The MX300 series is using new TLC NAND technology  compared with MLC for the MX200 series.   I believe they are just having growing pains with the first generation of using TLC.    Several firmware updates had notes which made me think they are trying to correct this issue.

There is another post on these forums where the person is having similar issues with an M.2 MX300. 

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/SSD-M-2-MX300-275BG-IS-DYING/td-p/182228

From what I've seen with a couple of our MX300 SSDs, it appears that when a block goes bad, it isn't being released properly and the SSD then gets stuck.    This can be seen in the SMART attributes where you may have a couple of Pending Sectors to reallocate and a high number of Uncorrectable Errors since those bad blocks are not decomissioned.   After updating the firmware and performing a Sanitize/Secure Erase the SSD begins working correctly again.   The bad blocks are swapped out and the Uncorrectable Errors stop accumulating.   I've only just installed the M0CR60 firmware so it is still too early to tell if it has resolved the issue. 

It is perfectly normal for blocks to go bad and get replaced.   SSDs have some spare blocks available to swap out the bad ones.  It is only when you run out of spare blocks or you are seeing a high number of reallocated blocks you really need to be concerned.

Crucial just released the MX500 series which has some perfomance improvements over the MX300 series and it also uses a different controller.  It's too early to tell if the MX500 has similar or other issues.  You should contact Crucial Support to report your issue just to be sure they are aware of the issue especially if you are already on the latest firmware.

The BX300 series uses the older MLC NAND technology, but does not include the power loss protection the MX series provides.    

I suggest you update the SSD firmware then do a Sanitize/Secure Erase.  Be warned the Sanitize/Secure Erase resets the SSD so all data will be lost.    I think your SSD will come back to life.    Hopefully the M0CR60 firmware has resolved this issue.

Kilobyte Kid

. . . There is another post on these forums where the person is having similar issues with an M.2 MX300

Yep, that's the link I just posted above.

. . . After updating the firmware and performing a Sanitize/Secure Erase the SSD begins working correctly again.

Does this make sense to do?  ie. How long before it starts getting stuck again?

. . . I've only just installed the M0CR60 firmware so it is still too early to tell if it has resolved the issue.

Mine has done this with M0CR60

. . . It is only when you run out of spare blocks or you are seeing a high number of reallocated blocks you really need to be concerned.

Do you know specifically which S.M.A.R.T. value(s) I should keep an eye on?

. . . You should contact Crucial Support to report your issue just to be sure they are aware of the issue especially if you are already on the latest firmware.

Yes

JEDEC Jedi

I'm disappointed to hear that the M0CR60 firmware still has this issue.  I've only just updated our SSDs so I don't know how long it could take to fail again (probably depends how they are used too).    I am going to report my findings to Crucial support as soon as I have a moment to gather all my notes.  Please let them know about your issue.

I believe the Sanitize/Secure Erase resets the SSD electronically and in the process gets things working again.

As for the SMART attributes to monitor, I would concentrate mainly on the following attributes and their RAW values:

#5 Reallocated NAND Blk Cnt

#187 Reported Uncorrectable

#196 Reallocated Event Count

#197 Current Pending Sector Count

#202 Percent Life Used

#180 Unused Reserved NAND Blk Count

Keep in mind that it is normal for an SSD to have some Reallocated Blocks during its life.  That is why SSDs are made with extra spare blocks which are swapped out to keep the SSD functional.   When you start seeing a huge change in these attributes, you should investigate.

Attributes #202 Percent Life Used and #180 Unused Reserved Block Count give you an idea of how close the SSD is to a normal end of life.   Attribute #202 will rise to 100% and Attribute #180 will decline down to zero at end of life.

In my case, I had 2 Pending Sectors and 10K Reported Uncorrectable errors.  While the Reported Uncorrectable errors is high, it is due to the fact it kept trying to access those bad block because the SSD could not swap them out with spare ones.  After the Secure Erase, the 2 bad blocks were reallocated and the Uncorrectable errors stopped increasing.

Some of the other SMART attributes may indicate issues as well, but not all manufacturers implement them the same way.

As for not being able to clone your drive or copy your data from the defective SSD,  you should use software that can skip past errrors instead of failing when errors are encountered.   I don't have much recent experience with Windows so I'm not sure what file copy software will do this for you to copy individual files. 

You could try booting to a Live Linux drive such as Knoppix.   You can access your SSD and try copying files from it.   

When I need to clone a defective hard drive, I use Gnu ddrescue (a Linux command line app) as it will skip past errors at first so it can retrieve as much of the drive as possible.  It will then go back and try to retrieve data from the bad blocks.   It works really well on failing hard drives as long as enough of the filesystem is copied for it to  mount the clone, but I've never had to use it on a failing SSD.  I'm not sure how any software will read from a defective block on an SSD.  Again, I'm not sure what other more user friendly apps exist which will clone a drive in this manner.   

Depending how the cloning software works, you may be only cloning the used areas of the drive or you could be cloning every part of it including areas with no data.   You could try using the clone you made, but I generally don't like trusting a clone from a failing drive because you never know the state of all the system files.  Why take the risk? 

Always have a good backup system in place.  This is even more important when using SSDs as they can sometimes  fail suddenly where the drive is no longer visible to the system.   We encountered this a lot on the early SSDs where the controllers just failed with absolutely no warning.   SSDs are supposed to go into a read only mode at end of life, but I've heard reports this doesn't always happen.

TechReport did a several year 24/7 torture test on some early SSDs.  It is a very interesting story where some SSDs had lots of errors early on, but then settled down to last to near the end.   It is also very interesting in how the different ones ended up failing in the end.  Here is a link to the final article, but you may want to read some of the earlier ones as well:

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Kilobyte Kid

Apparently, the firmware was not an issue, and neither are any bad blocks - nothing to worry about there, it has many extras to use, by design.

Here's the answer:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Short Version - The fix

#1 Run diskpart on the two messed up clones:

Windows Admin Tools / Computer Management / Set the drive to online
Then close Computer Management, as it will later ask you to Refresh it

Windows System / Open a DOS prompt as Administrator
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
clean
exit

Windows Admin Tools / Computer Management
. . . Initialize Disk as GPT (C: is GPT also) / Set it to Online
. . . New Simple Volume (by default, it does a quick format)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#2 Run chkdsk f: /f on the two messed up clones:

chkdsk f: /f

chkdsk c: /f . . . no, do not use /f on c:, it didn't help, use /r, see next step

With C:, you have to do a Restart, I saw it flash on the screen.  Results show in the Event Viewer Application log.

#3 Run chkdsk C: /x /r on C:

chkdsk C: /x /r

Just to make sure that all issues are found and dealt with, run a check disk scan . . . https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stuck-chkdsk-use-fix-right-way/

chkdsk C: /scan

I was then able to successfully make the two clones

Kilobyte Kid

Long Version - Crucial Support fix, and what happened

01/30/18 Per Crucial Support

1.) Do:  chkdsk c: /r . . . then re-try the clone . . . if that doesn't work, then:

2.) Win 10 / PC settings / Update & Security / Backup

. . . Make an image / Restore the image when necessary - look up on-line how to do it
. . . This is better than a clone, because it works faster, and is less sensitive to hard drive errors
. . . They only provide Acronis to do your initial conversion to an SSD
. . . but, IMO:
. . . The benefit of making a clone is that
. . . 1.) you can tell right away if you have a good copy, or not
. . . 2.) if there's an issue, it's ready to go

So, here's what I did, and what happened:

chkdsk c: /x /r . . . "To be run at the next Restart" / Restart the computer

. . . QUESTION #1 OF 2:  HOLD ON, WHAT'S THIS?  BAD INFORMATION.  /f DIDN'T FIX IT, /r DID . . . How safe is it to run CHKDSK on an SSD? - Super User . . . Run chkdsk /f (or equivalent) to fix file system errors. Do not run chkdsk /r as it is not necessary to check for bad sectors. The intensive disk activity for the check is unnecessary wear on the SSD, and is generally recognized as a bad idea . . . https://superuser.com/questions/209606/how-safe-is-it-to-run-chkdsk-on-an-ssd

The computer failed to boot, #1 of 2 . . . The whirlpool hung . . . Powered off for 10 seconds / On

The computer failed to boot, #2 of 2 . . . The whirlpool hung . . . Powered off for 10 seconds / On

Then I got:
1.) Automatic Repair
2.) Diagnosing Your PC
3.) Repairing Disk Errors - This might take over 1 hour to complete . . . It was done in less than a minute . . . No change in S.M.A.R.T. value #202, Percent Lifetime Remaining, 98%

I re-tried making the clone, and was successful.  It took 12 minutes to clone 115GB.  QUESTION #2 OF 2:  Would making an image be faster than 12 minutes?

Bit Baby

How can I ereased the 2 bads blocks I have in my MX300 2TB?

I run Storage Executive, upgrade the firmware I still have th bads block

Can you explain how to get rid of them

Thanks