Random freezes at first, BSOD later, Win 10 asus new lapptop

Kilobyte Kid

Random freezes at first, BSOD later, Win 10 asus new lapptop

Having a problem with my asus new laptop, after I swapped the HDD to new SSD and preformed fresh install of win 10 (home) my laptop went bad, random freezez at first (for 20~40 sec or more) and now it got worse, random blue screens, and takes me automatically to BIOS.
 I don't know what to do, searched in all possible settings and manuals and support and its getting worse. please h-e-l-p.

I tried:
- changing the power options in different ways, turning off the power saving option and much more.
- updating all possible drivers
- updating BIOS and changing BIOS setting
- all windows repair and scan tool have field to resolve or even find any problem (no way right?)
- installing Crucial Storage Executive to optimize the ssd.
- praying to god for mercy

I've got:
-asus vivobook x542ua (intel i5 8-gen)
-crucial SSD BX300 (240GB)
7 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Random freezes at first, BSOD later, Win 10 asus new lapptop

Try running Windows in safe mode to see if it's stable in that setting.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If it's runs fine in Safe Mode it could be some third party drive or application that's getting installed along with Windows that's causing the issue.

Otherwise where did you acquire this Windows 10 install media you have, is it a recovery media from ASUS, or one you created yourself?

If you purchased a Windows 10 code you can downloaded the latest recovery image from Microsoft online, then use that version to see if it produces any different results.

If you look around in your BIOS settings, you may see an option that mentions AHCI/IDE/RAID for the SATA mode. Ideally the laptop should be running in AHCI mode, if it isn't then make the switch, and try reinstalling Windows to see if that resolves the issue.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I appreciate your replay friend. 

In BIOS there is only one option and its  AHCI mode selected.

My Windows 10 installed from usb drive made with microsoft media creation tool.  (it worked just fine before I swiched to SSD so its not the issue)

I'm pretty sure its something with the SDD since the laptop came with HDD and the HDD worked just fine on same setup, and also I installed (when swiched to SSD) a fresh copy (didnt used any image tools).

so I'm pretty hopeless now, each day it freezez randomly now, may even freeze after 5 minutes since laptop is turned on, usually doesn't takes much time, also happening 7~20 times a day when I work on my laptop,  at first it was only freezing (and somehow managed to recover or "unfreeze" evey time) but after a week it somehow cannot recover in most of the times from whatever is happening and I'm getting the blue screen shutdown then it takes me by auto to BIOS, strangly when it freezes I can move the mouse and if I leave the: task manager -> preformance window open it shows me the disk is 100% (I will try to add a screen here) 

I will try to run in safe mode as you said and update...
can it be that my brand new SSD is somehow broken? cause id does work between the freezez pretty well and fast I just lost and hopeless now

ahhhh.PNG

JEDEC Jedi

Windows 10 can be a tricky beast at times.  It is more difficult to troubleshoot issues like this because Windows is being constantly updated & changed at Microsoft's whim instead of on your own.   I just installed a clean copy of Win10 v1803 and had slowness issues until I realized when I went to restart that it had downloaded new updates which I never noticed (and I had been in the Update section!).   I've also had other driver issues that did not exist before the clean install.  Go figure.

I know in earlier versions of Windows there was a way to create a custom system monitor where you could configure exactly which resources were monitored over time and save it in a log for later review.  I don't know if this still exists or not with Win10 (especially Home edition) or where you go to configure it, as it has been a while since I did it.

When this slowness & freeze occurs, note the time.  After it is over check Event Viewer to see if anything odd appears there that might lead you to the problem.   If you got a blue screen see if you can get the code for the kernel panic from Event Viewer as that may help you find the problem.

The next time it happens try closing any open web browsers and see if it stops the disk activity or disable any Extensions/Plugins.  It may not hurt to download a bootable Anti-Virus Rescue Disk so you can scan your drive for a possible infection that got past your current Anti-Virus software.   BitDefender is a good one to try (I like that they still provide an .iso file).

How much free space is on your SSD?

Did you install a lot of applications after the fresh install?  Perhaps one of them is causing the problem or one of them may have had something extra bundled with it.   Check the apps which launch at start up & login and disable them for now.   

In Windows 10 Settings, disable Fast Boot and then perform a traditional full restart/shutdown of Windows as the default behavior takes some shortcuts to make it faster for the impatient.   Holding the Shift key while clicking Restart/Shutdown should provide a full traditional reboot/shutdown as well.

Are you using BitLocker or any other encryption that might still be converting your system?

How about posting a screenshot from Crucial Storage Executive of the SMART Attributes of the SSD just in case something odd shows up there.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

@HWTech wrote:

When this slowness & freeze occurs, note the time.  After it is over check Event Viewer to see if anything odd appears there that might lead you to the problem.   If you got a blue screen see if you can get the code for the kernel panic from Event Viewer as that may help you find the problem.

How about posting a screenshot from Crucial Storage Executive of the SMART Attributes of the SSD just in case something odd shows up there. 

This.

Did you install all Intel drivers from Asus support site, that are hidden under 'Others > Show all'? 

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-15-X542UA/HelpDesk_Download/

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
How do I know what memory to buy?
Still need help? Contact Crucial Customer Service
Remember to regularly backup your important data!

Kilobyte Kid

yes as I metioned I've updated all the drivers from asus website. 

Kilobyte Kid

and my sdd is mostly empy, have only a few programs installed as VLC player Adobe reader etc, they cannot be the problem.

Kilobyte Kid

@Crucial_Benny wrote:

Try running Windows in safe mode to see if it's stable in that setting.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If it's runs fine in Safe Mode it could be some third party drive or application that's getting installed along with Windows that's causing the issue.

Otherwise where did you acquire this Windows 10 install media you have, is it a recovery media from ASUS, or one you created yourself?

If you purchased a Windows 10 code you can downloaded the latest recovery image from Microsoft online, then use that version to see if it produces any different results.

If you look around in your BIOS settings, you may see an option that mentions AHCI/IDE/RAID for the SATA mode. Ideally the laptop should be running in AHCI mode, if it isn't then make the switch, and try reinstalling Windows to see if that resolves the issue.

I've also tested today the issue with "safe mode" on, same problem, nothing changed, it froze again (accured after ~20 min of idle state, I havent even used the laptop, just left it like this only to find out after a breakfest that there is a BIOS screen waiting for me).
Should I return my SSD? it may be the case its faulty SSD and its crashing after some time of use? can that be the case?