Release date for MX500 M.2?

Bit Baby

Release date for MX500 M.2?

Hello everyone, new user here. I'm running a custom-built PC with a plain old mechanical HDD and have decided it's time to move onto SSD goodness. I planned on getting a Crucial MX300 in the M.2 form factor to save on space and cabling, but saw the new MX500 hitting store shelves and was glad to see an M.2 version was in the works, so I've been holding off until the new model hit store shelves. That was mid-December, and it is now almost the end of March and there's still no sign of these models anywhere. The last news articles I can find on the MX500 line are from January, my local computer store has no information, and BH Photo Video used to have a "coming soon" tag that originally said the expected release date was end of February, which became end of March, and is now saying the middle of April.

Where are the M.2 models? I hate to say it, but I have seriously considered going with a certain Korean competitor because with their latest SSD refresh, they rolled out all models and all form factors at the same time, with plenty of availability. I would like to make my SSD a Crucial MX500 with the positive reviews on its price-to-performance ratio and its dethroning of the aforementioned Korean competitor's old SSD. But the months of waiting and the lack of availability is wearing on my patience. Does anyone have any idea when Crucial is releasing this? Thanks!

5 Replies
Bit Baby

Re: Release date for MX500 M.2?

Still nothing? Unbelievable! And BH Photo Video even removed their listings for the M.2 drives; there isn't even a "coming soon" or anything, the listings are just gone. I think that, and the complete silence on my inquiry, speaks volumes. Sorry Crucial, I'd like to support you but you're not giving me much to go on here. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

JEDEC Jedi

Companies won't discuss unreleased products until the Marketing Department posts their official announcements and even then the company will usually only discuss the information that has already been officially released.   Since Crucial seems to have only one single M.2 SSD listed on their own website, it cannot be far off.   I did read a couple weeks ago about a power outage at a flash/memory manufacturing facility which hurt production a bit.    I'm not sure which vendors it affected.

Bit Baby

I get that a company like Crucial wouldn't want to disclose information like that, but you'd think they would have mentioned something like "it's still coming soon" by now, seeing as how the earliest MX500 reviews from late December-early January stated that the M.2 release would be impending. I can hang onto my current setup for now and would love to upgrade to an M.2 SSD, but I'm starting to get impatient!

And you are correct, there was an outage at a Samsung NAND manufacturing facility, and the affected chips from that day had to be scrapped. I don't believe Micron's NAND supply would be affected by that outage, though.

JEDEC Jedi

This is a user to user support forum and probbaly not the best place to get official upcoming product info from.  I had no idea the MX500 even existed until it landed*. Smiley Very Happy

You might be best off contacting Crucial themselves.  Though as HWTech says, whether they'll have anything to reveal or not - I don't know.

*And generally when I have been given advance product notice (from other companies - not talking about from Crucial here) I've been under NDA and couldn't tell you anyway!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I spoke with a customer service rep at Crucial and she said that they weren't going to release an m.2.  However, she did say that the MX 300 was being phased out after they sold the inventory they have on hand.  I understood that to mean that they are trying to shift all the MX 300 m.2 stock first, before they roll out the MX 500 m.2 version.  In regards to a date, I don't have a definitive date but I did see a website that was allowing pre-orders with the expected release date being April 11th.  I saw this about two weeks ago and I have slept since then so I can't remember where I saw it.  I am also holding out for the same product but boy oh boy is it difficult!! I am giving Crucial until April 30th, to birth this baby and if it's not here by then...well I am just going to adopt a Korean baby. Happy Birthday.