SSD Install Fails

Kilobyte Kid

SSD Install Fails

I've tried looking around on this forum and frankly it's too big for me, I'm in my 82nd year and don't have time to plough through everything. I ordered a BX500 240 gb 2.5 in unit yesterday, Feb 22nd. Brilliant, it landed on my doormat at about 10.00 am today Feb 23rd.. Sadly the thing failed at the first hurdle. I obeyed the instructions, plugged it into a USB3 port initially although using USB2 later didn't make any difference. Downloaded the Acronis True Image Micron_ 14350.exe and tried to run it. Stopped halfway across the progress(?) bar, invited to Retry, 'Install Failed' message. At least I didn't get as far as taking my PC apart. I've submitted an error report. I have a Lenovo H30-05 PC, I'm using Windows 10 version 1809. My browser is Firefox The thing doesn't show up using File Explorer but when I had a look using Macrium Reflect it was there. Sadly Macrium wouldn't clone my HDD to the SSD, error message telling me insufficient space. I assume Macrium wants the target disk to be the same size as the source disk.

I'm not very good with these forum things, all I'd like to know is how I can return it and get my money back? Will someone send me a 'return' address label please??

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD Install Fails

If you bought it from Crucial and wish to setup a return online you can do so here using the appropriate link for your region:

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/returns

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/returns

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/returns

If you bought it elsewhere, you should be able to arrange a return with the store.

Note that it's normal to not be able to see the drive in file explorer.  You would have to either install Windows to it or clone to it (as you've attempted to do)

The SSD doesn't need to be the same size as your hard drive but it does need to be big enough that everything currently on your hard drive is less than the size of the SSD.  If it's close to big enough we might be able to advise and freeing up some space but if it's considerably smaller than your needs then a return will probably be your best bet.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

You could retry cloning the drive with Acronis, but this time have Acronis create a bootable USB disk for you.  Boot from the Acronis USB disk and try the clone again.  If Acronis is able to properly resize your partitions and there is enough room, it should work.

Also as targetbsp mentions, we can assist you with clearing space on your original drive so the clone might finish or assist you with using other cloning methods.  It is amazing how much stuff accumulates on a driveSmiley Happy

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

I suppose there are many ways of overcoming this problem. One way might be to do a 'clean' install of Windows 10 using my 'recovery' USB stick with the SSD installed, and then reload all my programmes.

Creating an Acronis USB stick sounds like a good idea but how do I get Acronis to be so obliging? My only use of Acronis is the download of the .exe file which I carried out following the crucial instructions. This fails to work. No invitation pops up suggesting I might like to create a bootable USB stick.

My C disk is in no way overfull. I'll try inserting a photo

Picture 1.jpg

which seems to have worked and reveals that my C disk just over 5% full.

I tried using my Macrium Reflect to clone to the SSD but this failed probably on account of my version being the FREE version.

I'm too old for all of this, I've had other problems with Windows 10 since the 1809 update which seems to have introduced problems for many others as well. I suspect this Acronis .exe file is just something else that vesrion 1809 can't cope with or perhaps the SSD disk is simply a dud.

I'll return the whole lot and make do with my enormous C disk. If at any time in the future I need to do a 'clean' install I'll see about simply buying an SSD without bothering with cloning. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

BTW I notice the use of the phrase  'it should work'. I invariably translate this in these circumstances as 'it might work'.

JEDEC Jedi

@jacklx wrote:

BTW I notice the use of the phrase  'it should work'. I invariably translate this in these circumstances as 'it might work'.

I know you're quoting HWTech there but that's also the best you'd ever get out of me.  I never guarantee anything in my speech. Smiley Very Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I did a reply without logging in, lost forever. a pal suggested I try Disk Manager which revealed the SSD needed to be initialised. Should I have known? It's now initialised as GPT. Now the Acronis programme won't even open. Asks if I want to open it and after answering YES it just goes away. I give up.

BTW I haven't the faintest idea who HW Tech is.

JEDEC Jedi

Initialising the disk is required to use the drive as a secondary drive and makes it show in Windows Explorer.  It's not needed if you're cloning or installing Windows to it.

HWTech was the second person to reply to you. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?