SSD M.2 MX300 275BG IS DYING ??

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

SSD M.2 MX300 275BG IS DYING ??

Good evening.
My SSD MX300 started to show some problems a few days ago (it has 1 year and 2 months of use). Note that it has less than 300 hours of use and less than 6TB of writing.
I ran some programs and found many errors.
1 - Does anyone know if I can do anything to reverse this?
2 - Do you still have a guarantee?
3- How much time does it still have?

Thank you very much in advance.26904460_1663205517050873_7611439654324000801_n.jpg27021764_1663205130384245_738687933078351567_o.jpg27072740_1663205333717558_5975407266099410684_n.jpgimageproxy.php.jpegSem título.png

11 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD M.2 MX300 275BG IS DYING ??

Out of curiosity, can you run the SSD's internal SMART selftest? 

Also what firmware is your SSD using?

I've personally seen some issues with the MX300 SATA SSDs where there are some Reallocated Blocks and a large number of Uncorrectable Errors.    However, I've never had a functional issue with them at the OS level like you appear to have with the Read error.  (I think one of your screenshots may not be displaying - the one between the graph with the Read error and the one with green & red blocks).

You should make sure the SSD is using the latest firmware which I believe is M0CR060.

From my own personal experience I have had to perform a Secure Erase on the SATA MX300 SSDs after the firmware update in order to get the SSD working properly.  Our SSDs were functional at the OS level, but we noticed issues with them through SMART monitoring of the SSDs.  Also the internal SMART selftest would fail until we did the Secure Erase.   After that the bad blocks were reallocated and the SMART selftest finished successfully.    

Have you updated the computer's firmware?   If you do update the computer's firmware, I would advise doing so through another media besides your SSD and select the newest firmware before the Spectre mitigation is included since some people have had issues with the Spectre mitigation firmware.  

I hope you keep us informed with your progress on this issue one way or another. 

Kilobyte Kid

Hello.

Sorry for some errors, but I'm using GOOGLE TRANSLATOR.

How do I do the "SSD's internal SMART selftest"? 

in the very program of the crucial?

I updated the firmware after the problems started. now I'm using the latest firmware version and also BIOS.

I am currently using WINDOWS 10 on this SSD, I am wanting to perform Secure Erase and reinstall WIN10. Or would SANITIZE be better than SECURE ERASE?

For a better SSD operation, would it be worth me to deploy a 20GB without allocating for the SSD to use this to replace some defective BLOCS?

27072740_1663205333717558_5975407266099410684_n.jpgfirmeware.png

Sem título.pngSem títuloas.pngssss.png

JEDEC Jedi

I would be looking to replace that if I were you.  The MX300 has a 3 year warranty.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I live in Brazil. I'll try to get the guarantee from CRUCIAL, let's see if they'll take care of me.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

It would be a good idea to contact Crucial about warranty support like targetbsp suggests as they may be aware of the issue and will likely replace the drive.

It looks like the Sanitize option from Crucial Storage Executive is a Secure Erase and is the only way to do so from Windows.   

http://www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/technical-marketing-brief/brief_ssd_secure_erase.pd...

Crucial Storage Executive can also initiate & view the SSDs internal SMART selftests.  I'm not sure if it can be done through the GUI, but I did find a way to do so from the command line.   Refer to the sections starting at page 17 to view the selftest log and page 23 to run the internal SMART selftest:

https://www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/software/storage-executive-software/storage_execut...

Please let us know how you make out with this drive in the end and what Crucial has to say about it.

Kilobyte Kid

I got in touch with CRUCIAL support, they took a few steps to try to solve the problem.

An interesting tip is that the SSD needs an idle time to correct some internal problems and reallocate some data, it does this by connecting the notebbok for a few hours only in the initial SETUP, in the desktop the best way is to disconnect the sata cable and leaving only the of energy.

I tried to format and reinstall the operating system with more error (image 1), I disconnected the SSD and the installation started only on the HD TOSHIBA1TB. I ran the DELL BIOS diagnostics and it identified an error in the SSD (image 2), to get any doubts, I performed the diagnosis in another dell notebbok (image 3) and the same error occurred.

I put another SSD in my notebook and the DELL diagnostic did not identify any errors. The last thing I can do is a SECURE ERASE.

tomorrow I will contact again with the support of CRUCIAL.WhatsApp Image 2018-01-25 at 19.16.40.jpegpicture 3WhatsApp Image 2018-01-25 at 19.16.40 (1).jpegpicture 2WhatsApp Image 2018-01-25 at 19.16.40 (2).jpegpicture 1

JEDEC Jedi

It seems that short self-tests were unsuccessful, that is not a good sign. I would probably replace such drive.

In Windows you can launch short and extended (full) self-tests with a tool like GSmartControl - take a look here.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I ran all the tests and it concludes all indicating errors. What do you say?

Sem título2.pngSem título22.pngSem título234.pngSem título3453.pngSem título564564.pngSem título2342342.png

JEDEC Jedi

tiagopieta,  Thanks for the details!

I would bet that if you do a Sanitize/Secure Erase on the SSD, it would bring it back to life.  I actually had an SSD with many more Uncorrectable Errors and it is working perfectly fine now after the Secure Erase.   I think the MX300 SSDs end up getting stuck and the Secure Erase resets them.  I'm hoping with the updated firmware the issue won't happen again.  Whether it will be good long term is something else.

You should definitely do a Live Chat with Crucial telling them about your experience since you have so much documentation.  You may even be able to get it exchanged under warranty.    I'm preparing to contact them myself as soon as I can check on the rest of our MX300 SSDs just to make sure Crucial is aware of the issue.