SSD Trim and recovery software

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

SSD Trim and recovery software

I have a crucial MX100 512G ssd and I know the windows 10 SSD optimize tool is SSD trim. However, after I ran the SSD optimization showing 100% trimmed, I noticed the trim didn't work because I could still recover my deleted files via data recovery software ( such as disk drill and others). Does it mean TRIM function will not wipe the block unless I do secure erase on the SSD, and people can still recover their deleted files even the SSD has TRIM function?  I thought if SSD has TRIM, deleted data could not be recovered. ( I even left the computer idle over night, and I could still recover the files I deleted). 

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD Trim and recovery software

Check that trim works on your PC: https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

==================

Test file created and deleted, and continuation data saved.
Do what needs to be done to activate the SSD's TRIM functionality,
and run this program again.
Usually, you just need to wait a bit (around 20 seconds).
Sometimes, a reboot is necessary.

========================

CONCLUSION: TRIM appears to be WORKING!

================================

Does it mean my trim is on? 

if this shows my TRIM is on, does it mean data is recoverable after I delete it from drive and clean the recycle bin?

I have 2 different brands SSDs in my computer, and I have 2 partitions on my crucial SSD, will this effect the TRIM function?

JEDEC Jedi

Whether you have trim is determined by 3 things:

the drive supporting it

the OS supporting it

your drive controller and its sata driver supporting it

Partitions are irrelevant.  And there would only be a difference from one drive to anotehr if one is so old it pre-dates trim or if they are hooked up to different sata controllers and one supports trim and one doesn't (this isn't impossible - lots of boards add extra ports beyond those provided by the chipset using a different cheapo controller)

Data shouldn't be recoverable after deleting.  Had you rebooted since? I wonder if it was recovering from your Windows drive cache.  That could be a life saver if that's possible! Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I will try more different ways to see what I would get.

thanks Targetbsp,

JEDEC Jedi

dummykid, have you checked files integrity after the recovery? That is, for example, if you have recovered .jpg file with a photo were the photo viewable?

The main function of TRIM is not to make data unrecoverable. Making data unrecoverable is a side effect of TRIM, one could say. 

When a file is deleted from the drive the space it used to occupy should be TRIMmed and usually it occurs very fast. Recovery tools however, can still usually find the file with its name and attributes (size). This is because some data about old/deleted files can still be left in MFT (master file table) area.

When you delete data from the drive TRIM sends information to the SSD controller to help it clear the corresponding NAND parts. But I belive that the MFT works the same way with or without TRIM, that is it still stores some data related to deleted files, like name and size. But it is file content you really want to recover, not the file name and attributes only. Recovery tool will find the name and attributes of the file and it will recreate that file with the data taken from the drive, but the data itself can be completely different from the original or even empty. Check that out!

On my SSD I can 'recover' many photos (.jpg files) but they are unreadable, some of them have some random data and some have no data inside.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Bogdan,

you are right. I " recover" the file with same file name and size, but when I try to read the file, it gives me an error.  I have tried to recover some PDF, jpg and word files tonight, and none of them are readble files. At this point, I guess TRIM works. lol.  I should have read those files before I start the topic.