SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid State Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise Drives"

Bit Baby

SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid State Drive" in Windows 10 "Optimise Drives"

Hi,

I recently cloned my complete Windows 10 installation from a hard drive to a Crucial SSD using the Acronis Cloning software that Crucial supplied. After cloning, I removed the old hard drive and was happy to see that Windows loads fine from the new SDD, and everything seemed to be working fine.

However I have now noticed that the SSD (which is now my 'Drive C:') is still listed as a 'Hard Disk Drive' when I bring up the Defrag and Optimise Drive app and not as "Solid State Drive". This is worrying me as I understood that Windows needs to correctly recognise the drive as a solid state drive in order to apply the correct optimisation policies.

hen I right click the drive in Windows Explorer and select the Hardware Tab, it reports:  CT500MX5 00SSD1 SCSI Disk Device

Also when I run the Crucial Storage Executive and select Drive Detail, it reports it can't find any supported drives.

Can anyone advise how can I make Wiondows 10 correctly treat the drive as a Solid State Drive?

Regards

Dave

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid State Drive" in Windo

Not seen this one in a while!  In the old days, you would correct this by performing a WEI benchmark in Windows.  But they removed the UI for this feature in Windows long ago.

However, it seems you can still do this from an administrative command prompt and it still does fix this issue apparently.  See this article for details: https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/06/15/windows-for-use-with-ssd-storage.aspx

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Bit Baby

Re: SSD is reported as "Hard Disk Drive" instead of "Solid State Drive" in Windo

Thanks for the suggestion, but it made no difference to the way Windows Explorer reports the type of file.

Regards

Dave

Crucial Employee

If running the winsat commands doesn't work, you can simply disable auto defrag then move on. There is nothing super fancy that Windows will do when it optimizes a system for an SSD, it simply disables derfrag (really the only important thing), then ensures that TRIM is enabled (not important at all). If you look online there are multiple ways to force TRIM commands, but again, this isn't important since modern SSDs have cleanup processes built directly into the drive, so TRIM is no longer a necesity.

Otherwise if you really want to fix the issue, it may require a refresh or reinstall of Windows to fix whatever strange registry or system bug that got cloned over.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?