SSD locked HELP

SOLVED
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

SSD locked HELP

Hello, I do not speak English very well so I'm using Google translator to do this, well I tell them to buy me 1 solid disk crucial model Bx300, a day between the BIOS of my motherboard MSI H310M PRO-VH in which was a function called "SECURE" or better known as Secure erase + which consists of a secure deletion for your ssd to work better and last longer, after doing so and trying to install a Windows OS, this would not allow it, does not allow me to create partitions or format, in conclusion the disk is BLOCKED, so I wonder there will be some solution to unlock a CRUCIAL disk? I've searched everywhere but I can not find, I've seen old post but nothing works for me, maybe today there is some solution and you have it, thanks

image of the program in which you can see that it is LOCKED

disco.jpeg

19 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD locked HELP

Most likely some security or hardware encryption is enabled on your SSD or computer.   See my post in this thread for options to try.

Kilobyte Kid

hello connect my ssd disk via a usb adapter but I could not revert the PSID, since it does not read it to me

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-21 at 02.23.34.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-08-21 at 02.23.34 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-08-21 at 02.23.34 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-08-21 at 02.23.34 (3).jpeg

JEDEC Jedi

You cannot Secure Erase a drive connected using USB.  The drive being Secure Erased must be installed on an internal SATA port or using e-SATA.   Using the Secure Erase feature of the BIOS/UEFI may not allow for e-SATA connections.

From the BX300 Datasheet it does not appear the BX300 uses OPAL2 encryption.  AFAIK the PSID revert will only work with OPAL2 drives, nor will it work with ATA Security enabled on the drive.  

If you connect the SSD internally and still have issues using the Secure Erase from the BIOS/UEFI, then  please provide the information about the ATA Security settings as I mentioned in this post where I provide steps so we can confirm  the ATA Security status (screenshot the complete Security section).  The SSD can be connected using USB for viewing the ATA Security status.

Kilobyte Kid

hello I did all the indicated procedure I leave below the screenshots, what should I do now?

13.jpeg

JEDEC Jedi

It appears ATA Security is enabled.  I'll provide some instructions later today as I need to gather some old notes on how to reset the password since you most likely won't have the password that was used to lock it.

JEDEC Jedi

While reading the documentation on how to reset the ATA Security password, I had an idea about what has happened.   When you attempted the Secure Erase was the SSD installed internally or were you using your USB adapter?   If you tried to Secure Erase the SSD while it was connected externally using USB, then try installing the SSD in the computer and executing the Secure Erase again.    I believe it began the Secure Erase process and set a password on the SSD.   Since the Secure Erase failed, it did not reset the password so the SSD is still locked.   If the Secure Erase can be completed successfully, then it will reset the password and unlock the SSD.    A Secure Erase can only be performed with the SSD installed internally in the computer.

If this suggestion does not work, then try contacting MSI.   Tell them your SSD became locked after attempting a Secure Erase.  Ask if they can provide you with the password their motherboard uses when performing the Secure Erase so you can unlock your SSD.   If they provide you with the password, I can have you easily and safely unlock the SSD. 

If MSI won't provide you with the password, then I will provide instructions on how to reset the password.   I hesitate to do so now as I've never actually performed the password reset myself and there is some risk involved.  Complicating matters is what is acceptable for a password especially when using a non-English language/keyboard.   I would like to take another day to research this aspect before providing these instructions just to be safe.   If you do not want to wait and are willing to risk your SSD, I will provide the instructions to you.

Update:  Have you tried installing the SSD internally again and booting into Windows?  If it will boot Windows, check to see if BitLocker is enabled and if so disable it.   If BitLocker is using ATA Security then this might unlock the SSD  safely for you.

Kilobyte Kid

1-Hi, the secure deletion I did with the SSD internally (connected to the PC, not via USB)
2 - I already asked in an MSI forum of my motherboard, I explained what happened and I asked for the key to ask me to unblock in an easier way. (but being sincere there is more than 2 weeks post without answering, so I do not think they answer)

3- UPDATE? I did not understand this part, several times I reconnected the SSD and tried to install the w10 OS, but it's still the same, I do not know if you mean this, if I'm wrong and you're talking about something else, could you explain please?

* Since MSI do not think that you answer me I am willing to risk my SSD to be able to correct it * THANK YOU

JEDEC Jedi

Thank you for confirming things.  I am not surprised that MSI did not provide any information.

Regarding #3:   If you install the SSD internally will the SSD boot into Windows?

I had no time today (2018-08-23) to review anything.   I will post the instructions as soon as I have time.   Hopefully on 2018-08-24, but definitely will update the post on 2018-08-25.

Kilobyte Kid

no, I can not boot windows in the ssd, I can only boot with another HDD disk that I have

I am waiting